Old school drummers, what cymbals do you prefer?

I sort of wish I had an original era Rocktagon....just as a memory of some 80's cheese
Absolutely.
They still make them and the sound is the same. When I went to NAMM back in 2018 the "Sabian wall" at their booth had one up. The rep told me it's the one "novelty" cymbal they still sell a lot of. So they haven't dropped it.

I lucked into some old As for good prices pretty early on, which works for me because it's a sound I especially enjoy. I like warmer sounds with more color and less cut- but, I mainly play at home and record and stuff.
In a band/live setting I may change some things but that old A sound is always in my head.

Which one you y'all prefer of having an using. See I'm an old school Zildjain A lines from the Seventies and eighties type of guy. I'd have never experienced with anything else. Drummer's have their own opinions on what they have and use.
What do you consider old school?? I started playing in the 80's so I consider 60's players old school...
I used to play mostly with Zildjian cymbals (and I still own some of them) but I now play Meinl and Wuhan. BUT, since I am not sponsored by anybody I can play whatever I want. I just lately liked Meinl for some reason.

Reactions: I-P
I learned to play, starting at age 4, in 1973, but really cut my teeth in the early 80's metal and punk stuff.

I am definitely a Zildjian guy b/c of my dad, and Neil Peart. I have only ever used Zildjians. Even when Neil went to Sabian (which was a travesty to me) I stayed. I have 50's era A's, and 80s' to current A's; K's; K Customs

I am anti-technology for the most part. I obviously use a computer, but never have been on social media; don't play video games (the last time I did was on an Atari 2600 in 1981 ish); don't watch tv except for news and hockey/football if i am not busy.

I own 2 drumsets:
my dads 1955 Ludwig, which is the one I grew up playing on
my 1994 Pearl Masters Custom, that I got new in 94

I have really no urge to get any new drums, unless a Ray era Ayotte comes by

I have always thought of myself as a "set it and forget it" kind of guy. For the most part, I "set it" in the early 80's....
Not to be devil's advocate here, but you are missing out on some great stories. (by not playing video games that is).
I don't like online multiplayer because it becomes too repetitive so I prefer the single player story. Games like Uncharted and The Last Of Us (which happened to be made by the same company). Are fantastic on all areas, they have a good story, are well acted, the music is great, and the graphics are on par with it, the gameplay is smooth. It might feel hard to pick up for someone that has never played, but if you gave it a try you would understand. Of course those are just a couple of examples, but also and another bonus, a Playstation 4 is now much more affordable than when it came out (because Playstation 5 is now the present console) and all Playstation 4 games that were produced at least 2 years prior are probably 50% cheaper than when they were released (plus most include the extra content created after their release). Yes that is a thing you get "more game" after the game you purchased (digitally via download and after paying for those extras), but if you purchase the game at a later date, a lot of that content comes included and for half the price! I also believe Playstation 4 is graphically good enough to where you will not be disappointed by most offerings. Fallout 4 's story (and all the lore surrounding it) are great and right up your alley (the conspiracy alley that is).
I believe an old dog CAN learn new tricks.

I like Sabian AAs, but really prefer the AAX and HHX lines for gigs. I gave up on Zildjian many years ago, because they were turning out junk around 2005-6, were not at all innovative, and were be resting on their laurels and traditions. Sabian is a much more innovative company overall. They take chances and try new things. I like that.

As you can see in this thread, many/most “old school” drummers decided what they liked decades ago, and they stuck with it. They’re comfortable with the familiar, and they don’t see any reason to deviate from it.

I’m getting old myself but I didn’t take drumming seriously until I was already well into adulthood, so my mindset has always been more about seeking certain sounds rather than maintaining my past.

Reactions: I-P
Been playing nearly 36 of my 40 years guess I'm old school.

Zildjians Ks have been home for a while and I've got a set that compliments each other and I have some great As that I can swap things out for. I get why folk don't get on with Zildjians because they do make some absolute nails but the great ones are special

As you can see in this thread, many/most “old school” drummers decided what they liked decades ago, and they stuck with it. They’re comfortable with the familiar, and they don’t see any reason to deviate from it.

I’m getting old myself but I didn’t take drumming seriously until I was already well into adulthood, so my mindset has always been more about seeking certain sounds rather than maintaining my past.
I apply that "constantly evolving" mindset to everything I do in life. I have said many times that I refuse to be the old guy that is out of touch so I keep up with "modern" trends not necessarily practicing them but being aware of them. I just turned 53 last week, but I can still keep up when teenagers are having a conversation (because I know what they are talking about). As for music, yes of course I appreciate the "classics" but I also allow current musicians to inspire me with some previously unheard sound/style. Now for hardware, I guess there is not much than can be changed on a cymbal, but every once in a while you get a nerd who has access to gear and uses unconventional techniques to come up with something not available prior. (for example someone actually studying sound waves from different cymbal alloys and documenting which ones work better than others). And I mean scientifically studying that not just by hearing them, but actually using gear to take accurate measurements and keeping logs and all, that is what a nerd would do. So to answer the OPs question.. I prefer the cymbals I currently have but I am not that brand loyal anymore.

Been playing since the early 90's, don't know if that qualifies as old-school, but... I've used all the big brands, but I'm definately more into Paiste (900 series, 2002 and Rude) and Meinl (Byzance, Pure Alloy) than anything else now. Last time I borrowed another drummers cymbals at a souncheck, with all Sabian AAX cymbals, I actually had a hard time playing the way I'm used to, the hihat especially felt way stiffer than I were used too, and ended up tiring out my right hand after only a few songs. Went back to my Paiste 900 Sound-Edge, and wow what a difference in playability. It could be that his hihat model was way thicker than I was used to though, I'm sure not every Sabian feels like that. Same ordeal with an A Custom crash I bought at a bargain sale, sold it quickly after. There seems to be a theme with me at least, I usually prefer Paiste and Meinl over Sabian and Zildjian.

Last edited:
Back