Old school drummers, what cymbals do you prefer?

Donald Ray

Which one you y'all prefer of having an using. See I'm an old school Zildjain A lines from the Seventies and eighties type of guy. I'd have never experienced with anything else. Drummer's have their own opinions on what they have and use.

Hi Donald,

I'm an old school classic/hard rocker, and I love my Paiste 2oo2s!
For me, they fit that classic rock cymbal sound in my head to a T.

If I was playing Zildjian, I would also use the classic Zildjian A line to meet most of my cymbal needs. :)

I learned to play, starting at age 4, in 1973, but really cut my teeth in the early 80's metal and punk stuff.

I am definitely a Zildjian guy b/c of my dad, and Neil Peart. I have only ever used Zildjians. Even when Neil went to Sabian (which was a travesty to me) I stayed. I have 50's era A's, and 80s' to current A's; K's; K Customs

I am anti-technology for the most part. I obviously use a computer, but never have been on social media; don't play video games (the last time I did was on an Atari 2600 in 1981 ish); don't watch tv except for news and hockey/football if i am not busy.

I own 2 drumsets:
my dads 1955 Ludwig, which is the one I grew up playing on
my 1994 Pearl Masters Custom, that I got new in 94

I have really no urge to get any new drums, unless a Ray era Ayotte comes by

I have always thought of myself as a "set it and forget it" kind of guy. For the most part, I "set it" in the early 80's....

Hi Donald,

If I was playing Zildjian, I would also use the classic Zildjian A line to meet most of my cymbal needs. :)
I don't know. The black lebel old PAISTE people talks about year's in the seventies and eighties sounds good. I believe that. Guy from Iron Maiden drummer been using those for years. Now he is using his own PAISTE cymbals. I really would to try it somewhere else down the road

Hi Donald,

What's the "2002" refer to?

I don't know. The black lebel old PAISTE people talks about year's in the seventies and eighties sounds good. I believe that. Guy from Iron Maiden drummer been using those for years. Now he is using his own PAISTE cymbals. I really would to try it somewhere else down the road
Believe me Donald,

The current red label Paiste 2oo2s sound fantastic too.

That's some of the beauty of Paiste cymbals in general. Paiste is able to reproduce most of their cymbal lines with a very high level of accuracy. That means that an 18" 2oo2 crash cymbal made today, will sound almost sonically identical to a 18" 2oo2 crash cymbal made 20 years ago. So, what you hear (lets say online) is usually what you are going to get sound-wise. Their consistency in manufacturing is just another reason some of us love playing Paiste. (On the other hand, that consistency might turn off some players that seek a more "unique/individual" cymbal sound pallet.)

What's the "2002" refer to?
Hi Yamaha,

The 2oo2 is a line of Paiste cymbals that dates back to the early 1970's. They were originally created to be able to cut through the modern amplified (think giant Marshal amplifier stacks) music of that era.

Here's a link to them on Paiste's website: Paiste 2oo2 Cymbals

But I don't know. I'm always going to be a old school Zildjain guy. Probably never going to change lol
There's nothing wrong with that Donald.
Zildjian makes great cymbals too, and has for 400 years!

However, if you ever get a chance to try some Paiste 2oo2s (or any of their other tasty offerings) out in person, I think that you might be pleasantly surprised. Heck, you can even check out some of their sound samples on their website that I linked above. :)

Last edited:
Like you, I started out as an A Zildjian guy. However, my tastes have changed over the years, and I've proven adaptable.

My current cymbal setup is an eclectic mix of Zildjian As and A Customs and Sabian AAXs, plus a few odds and ends thrown in - a Meinl Classics Custom Dark trash crash, a 19" LP Rancan china, and most recently a Bosphorus Traditionals hi-hat. Unless and until I decide to formally endorse one brand, I see no need to limit myself.

Believe me Donald,

The current red label Paiste 2oo2s sound fantastic too.

That's some of the beauty of Paiste cymbals in general. Paiste is able to reproduce most of their cymbal lines with a very high level of accuracy. That means that an 18" 2oo2 crash cymbal made today, will sound almost sonically identical to a 18" 2oo2 crash cymbal made 20 years ago. So, what you hear (lets say online) is usually what you are going to get sound-wise. Their consistency in manufacturing is just another reason some of us love playing Paiste. (On the other hand, that consistency might turn off some players that seek a more "unique/individual" cymbal sound pallet.)

Hi Yamaha,

The 2oo2 is a line of Paiste cymbals that dates back to the early 1970's. They were originally created to be able to cut through the modern amplified (think giant Marshal amplifier stacks) music of that era.

Here's a link to them on Paiste's website: Paiste 2oo2 Cymbals

There's nothing wrong with that Donald.
Zildjian makes great cymbals too, and has for 400 years!

However, if you ever get a chance to try some Paiste 2oo2s (or any of their other tasty offerings) out in person, I think that you might be pleasantly surprised. Heck, you can even check out some of their sound samples on their website that I linked above. :)
Hi, what I was getting at is 'what does the name '2002' signify'?

So I tried to think of some numerical relationship between '1965' ...when they first started using 'Copper 92Tin8 or 'B8' alloy ' or 1971 (when 2002 line came out) but got nothing.

My guess is a rando name, maybe a play on the 2001 Space Odyssey movie ....but that came out in 1968 .

So I tried to think of some numerical relationship between '1965' ...when they first started using 'Copper 92Tin8 or 'B8' alloy ' or 1971 (when 2002 line came out) but got nothing.

My guess is a rando name, maybe a play on the 2001 Space Odyssey movie ....but that came out in 1968 .
:ROFLMAO: LOL!

I'm sorry I misunderstood you Yamaha Rider. I totally thought that you were asking me what the 2oo2s were, not how did they get their name. D'oh!

That was a good guess as well opentune.

Since I didn't know the answer myself, I was just about to suggest that we ask our resident Paiste expert @type85 that question.
Low and behold, he posted a thread on the forum yesterday with a video that talks about that very subject.

Here's a link to type85's post: Fritz Steger interview: Paiste B8, 2002 and Dimensions series
The answer is around the 1:55 mark.

I'm sorry I misunderstood you Yamaha Rider. I totally thought that you were asking me what the 2oo2s were, not how did they get their name. D'oh!

Since I didn't know the answer myself, I was just about to suggest that we ask our resident Paiste expert @type85 that question.
Low and behold, he posted a thread on the forum yesterday with a video that talks about that very subject.

Here's a link to type85's post: Fritz Steger interview: Paiste B8, 2002 and Dimensions series
Haha! Excellent ( :BMW-2002-1635_13.jpg

I do have an old school wish and have had for 30 years and that is for Evans to reintroduce their epoxy hoop two ply heavy duty rock heads. I'm not being overly picky when I bought the cad/cam hooped heads and was disappointed. They drove me to the pinstripe or I'm positive I'd still be buying those heads.

I would not have guessed that. Thanks for sharing!

I literally don’t care who made my cymbals. Most of them are Sabians with one Diril and a cheap pair of NS12 hats that have a very cool sound, but if I were buying more cymbals, I’d look at what’s out there and buy the cheapest good used cymbals I could without regard to the manufacturer.

I tend to play what my ear likes & what blends well with the other cymbals I have.
When I buy a new one, I'll bring 2 others with me to set up and play together.
If any store balks at this, I gather my two and head on out.

"I'm looking to drop $300 at your store & you're complaining about me comparing what I have with what I want? I'll go drop the coin at your competitor then".

I have a variety of brands & alloys that all work together.

Back