No rimshots

Will67

Would really like some opinions on this one.I don't care for playing rimshots,I mean the consistent back beat kind,but that seems to be the standard for the major league drummers.I can play them if I'm asked to,and I can even do it consistently,but to me it is uncomfortable and distracting.I can't just relax and get into the music when I'm always focused on keeping my snare hand on the sweet spot.My question is,should I be able to handle any gig situation big or small while forgoing rimshots all together? I would enjoy that more.

I think rimshots are just another tool in the toolbox. I use them with finale flams and when to cue the band for a breakdown. I prefer the sound of my snare drum when hit in the center, without any rim.

Would really like some opinions on this one.I don't care for playing rimshots,I mean the consistent back beat kind,but that seems to be the standard for the major league drummers.I can play them if I'm asked to,and I can even do it consistently,but to me it is uncomfortable and distracting.I can't just relax and get into the music when I'm always focused on keeping my snare hand on the sweet spot.My question is,should I be able to handle any gig situation big or small while forgoing rimshots all together? I would enjoy that more.
There are some threads on here about that. I think there is more to it than one sweet spot. You can get several different notes, as well as sort of fuzzy choked sounds.

That's part of your preferences. Your voice. There is no better guidepost, your little voice, period. Embrace that for sure. No problem at all. You do you.

And for the other side, one big benefit of the rimshot I find is having 2 different timbre/volumes without hitting any harder. Mixing it up.

For instance, a full on 1 handed snare shuffle...Most of the time I use the rim to accent the 2 and 4. It takes literally no extra energy, just a slight wrist angle adjustment on 2 and 4. And it really pops. Different timbre, different volume. So it conserves energy. And makes for an interesting dynamic.

If I had to brute strength the backbeat to make it pop I'd tire much quicker, as it's already a hard pattern to do one handed.

I don't play rimshots. I've never been accused of delivering substandard backbeats or strokes that lack appropriate accent or authority. Some drummers have reported that certain musicians/engineers have requested that they utilize rimshots. I don't doubt those accounts, but I've worked with a lot of musicians/engineers, and not one has mentioned the vital inclusion of rimshots to me. Until someone does, I'll carry on without them.

In the eighties I played rimshots all the time. Nowadays very seldom.

Nowadays I’m a ghost noting fool so it’s a lot of stick noodling and a solid whack that can be a rimshot or not. Depends on how I want my whack to sound. Words to live by. You don’t wanna be outta whack-because you may need multiple whacks.

Last edited:
Rimshots are louder and under a dynamic mic will lessen the overtones of an undamped head, while also filling the room for a fuller room mic and producing a more powerful fuller, and shorter sound.
It's also a bit of a meatheaded muppet style.
I personally grew out of center rimshots in favor of every other style of rimshot. I prefer the obnoxious off-center rimshot if I want to activate the whole drum.

For instance, a full on 1 handed snare shuffle...Most of the time I use the rim to accent the 2 and 4. It takes literally no extra energy, just a slight wrist angle adjustment on 2 and 4. And it really pops. Different timbre, different volume. So it conserves energy. And makes for an interesting dynamic.
Are you trad or matched? I'm trad and I've found it difficult to master the rimshot, although I haven't really played heavy backbeat types of styles in my hobbyist career. I think my first gig where I got about 80% hit ratio was just a couple of years ago. And I'm 55. LOL

It's a tool in the arsenal. I play rimshot backbeats, have been for 30+ years.....when it works. That being said there have been many gigs where that would have been way over the top, so they were avoided. Playing is dynamic unless you are playing heavily amplified music in very large venues for every single gig there is a good chance you will need the full spectrum of dynamics and the skillset to handle either without really having to think too hard about it.

Everyone eventually lands on what they feel is their "signature" sound......which would be their preferred tunings, playing and dynamics. As Larry said above, you do you......

I play country music. If I play a rimshot, it's an accident.

Are you trad or matched? I'm trad and I've found it difficult to master the rimshot, although I haven't really played heavy backbeat types of styles in my hobbyist career. I think my first gig where I got about 80% hit ratio was just a couple of years ago. And I'm 55. LOL
Matched. I can't play trad very well at all. Matched works better for me...for the equality of sound I try to chase.

Rimshots with trad...seems much harder to do. Matched is stupid easy for rimshots for me. I feel it's more versatile as a grip

Recent discussion on this:

Some songs require a rimshot. Some sound really weird with them.

The answer is simple… Serve the song. Which is our job as drummers.

It's fine if you don't care to do them. But I find rimshots on the backbeat have a certain pop that a straight snare hit just doesn't match. Higher dynamics with less effort that just cut through.

Play the sound you want to make, if it means not playing rim shots, don't play rim shots.
Maybe a caveat to this would be “play what’s needed for the song”. If you’re in a cover band and the song has them, then it’s expected. If it’s just you and your music, do what you want.

When I hear folks always playing rimshots, they always tune their snares to sound good for the rimshot. But when they don’t play a rimshot, the snare sounds wrong. So if you can tune your snare to sound good for both, and you choose not to play rimshots, then you’re ok.

I used to think they were for volume, but then I saw this local mainly jazz drummer playing backbeat music with an Americana styled artist, he played the back beats with low volume rim shots and man they sounded great.

Back