New Drum Kit - expectations

blindrobert

Let me preface by saying I am new to the forum and also new to drumming:

I ordered a new Ludwig Classic Maple drum kit from one of the big on-line retailers last weekend. I paid the usual going price for the new shell pack - about $2,400. About an hour after I placed the order, I get a call from The Company saying they have a kit that's a floor model in one of their stores, it has some playing marks on it, but no Ludwig boxes or papers, etc. I told them that I'd consider buying that set, but if I'm not getting a new, unused kit then I shouldn't be paying the new unused price - in other words there should be a discount for a demo model. The Company says they'll send me a new kit from the warehouse, which is fine with me.

The drum kit arrived at my house yesterday. Playing marks on every drum head, a few tiny marks on the shells - nothing egregious, but certainly not "brand new". There are no original boxes or what we guitar players would call "case candy".

I know if I was buying a new, higher-end guitar, this would be unacceptable. Are drummers more relaxed about these things - am I being too uptight? As I said, I am new to drumming and this is my first kit - I don't want to be unreasonable, but I also don't want to be a sucker. I called The Company and they are supposed to call me back today (but I will be surprised if they follow through).

I have never purchased a new kit but every YT video I've seen of a new kit's arrival is an "unboxing" in which a gleeful drummer giddily gawks at boxes inside which are the new pristine drums. Seems like The Company took that experience away from you. Not cool.

I have never purchased a new kit but every YT video I've seen of a new kit's arrival is an "unboxing" in which a gleeful drummer giddily gawks at boxes inside which are the new pristine drums. Seems like The Company took that experience away from you. Not cool.
Yeah - I hadn't watched any unboxing videos before I purchased, but I checked out a few after receiving the kit. The kit I received was very obviously not factory packaged.

In the end, not a big deal. But... it is a big deal. What I mean is, after a week of playing you won't notice a difference, but you also paid for, and restated your desire for, a new kit. That is what you should have received.

Maybe when they called and asked if you would take the demo, they recorded your response incorrectly.

I would bring it up with the company you bought from, there may be a discount in your future.

Let us know what happens...

PS. guitarist turned drummer here as well. Buckle up!

In the end, not a big deal. But... it is a big deal. What I mean is, after a week of playing you won't notice a difference, but you also paid for, and restated your desire for, a new kit. That is what you should have received.

Maybe when they called and asked if you would take the demo, they recorded your response incorrectly.

I would bring it up with the company you bought from, there may be a discount in your future.

Let us know what happens...

PS. guitarist turned drummer here as well. Buckle up!
Yeah - that's where I landed. This is the second time in two months this has happened with The Company. In December I ordered a custom shop Les Paul Special from them and it arrived with black gunk smeared on it, dings, pick marks, etc. They offered me a discount on it but I chose not to keep it. Again, that guitar was obviously a floor model from one of their stores.

And to be clear - I am not an EX-guitarist. I still play every day!

And to be clear - I am not an EX-guitarist. I still play every day!
I get it. After 45 years of playing, neither will I ever be an ex-guitarist. On the other side of that coin, I haven't played for more than 5 min since early 2019. Still have a couple (Strats) hanging on the walls and a few other in the closet.

Edit: should say early 2020.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, if I'm paying brand new money, I expect a brand new product. Trust me it's not guitarist, drummers etc, it's musicians who give a damn about their gear.

I remember when my Saturn arrived 3 years back it came Fort Nocks secure in sealed Mapex boxes and everything was immaculate as a new kit should be. You usually have to do a bit of assembly putting fresh heads and hoops on. A used kit voids any warranty immediately too because they can argue you caused any damage.

Same for cymbals. When I got my new ride, it arrived unblemished.

Send it back, kick off, demand a refund and spend your cash elsewhere. Sounds like they'd ran out of stock and you got the last turkey in the shop.

If you pay for new, you should get new. Any sign of use is completely unacceptable. Unless they offer you a substantial discount, I would return the kit immediately.

Similar things happened to me before. I understand and and sympathetic toward honest mistakes, but have no patience for sneakiness. And this appears to what happened to you. Most likely, they knowingly sent you the gently used kit hoping you wouldn't notice. Send it back.

Thanks, everyone. I guess where I have landed with this is that if they offer me a discount - I'm thinking around $400, I'd keep the drumset. Otherwise I'll return it.

My thinking is this: if our positions werre reversed, i.e. - if I went into THE COMPANY and bought a new kit in factory sealed boxes, took it home, played it a bit and put marks all over it, then tried to return it without the original boxes, packaging, or papers - if they accepted the return at all, they'd charge a hefty restocking fee. Same situation here.

Thanks, everyone. I guess where I have landed with this is that if they offer me a discount - I'm thinking around $400, I'd keep the drumset. Otherwise I'll return it.

My thinking is this: if our positions werre reversed, i.e. - if I went into THE COMPANY and bought a new kit in factory sealed boxes, took it home, played it a bit and put marks all over it, then tried to return it without the original boxes, packaging, or papers - if they accepted the return at all, they'd charge a hefty restocking fee. Same situation here.

Ask for new heads too.

Sounds like something GC/MF would do.

That's a bs situation. I can tell you that if I'm spending over $2k on something and it's supposed to be "new", I'd be completely unhinged if they sent me something that wasn't new.

Get them to give you the discount (and the new heads Porkpie mentioned) or send it all back. Remind them that you had recently also purchased a guitar from them, and if they don't take care of you, they won't be getting any further purchases from you...

Complete by.

They sent you the floor model talked about and charged you new, in-box price.
That's called fraud & you have grounds for legal action (Especially considering the price).
I too will be surprised if they follow through as they know what they did. Now the phone dodging cat & mouse game begins to see if they think they can get away with it.
Don't let them. Be all over them like stink on shit.

I would like to officially welcome you to the forum.
I would be super PI**ED! If you need for some reason to turn around and get a refund for some reason you can't because you don't have anything proving you bought brand new under warranty materials. Not to mention you paid full price for a NEW NEVER USED set. I would be on the phone up someone's A** about this in a hot minute. And demanding not only a reduced price but an extended warranty. If they won't agree then send them back on THEIR dime, and buy them some place else. Then I'd be on their website letting people know this is happening. Sounds like a Guitar Center trick.

The kit I received was very obviously not factory packaged.
What a PITA! Check everything. Remove the heads and check every bearing edge. Run your finger over them. They should be smooth and of a uniform cut. While the heads are off, check the bolts used to mount the lugs and tom legs, bass drum spurs. Check the bass drum hoops for pedal scars. Carefully inspect the finish. If that kit was a floor model, it's been set up, played and moved around, and then it's been disassembled and put back into boxes.

Sorry to see this has happened on your first drum purchase. :(

I wouldn't take anything apart, I wouldn't check squat. I'd be on the phone and @Al Strange would be able to hear me yelling from his living room. Entirely unacceptable and technically could be fraud. Second phone call would be to my bank to report a fraudulent charge. A lot of you are a lot nicer than I am when it comes to something like this. If I changed your oil and put in used oil and didn't change the filter, I'd have some 'splainin' to do.

I bought it with a CC (The Company’s in-house credit card) so I could pay it off at zero percent over time with their promotion. But I have the money to buy for cash elsewhere, and I have found it in stock at other locations.

I’m not a shouter. I’ll get satisfaction one way or another without having to get ugly towards anyone.

Back