More from this band....

I am impressed with the amount of personal security of the singers. If I sang the way they sing, I couldn't get up there and do it that unabashedly, so I give them props for that. I wouldn't offer that up in the first place. I mean there's a certain standard to uphold...just to remain true to my own personal requirements.

The singer in my blues band...after he gets some drinks in him...he doesn't seem to worry about his pitch...at all. He's got the attitude and force of personality to to pull it off, but technically, it sounds bad. BUT...you have to admire the damn the torpedos attitude and how people like that have zero fear of "sounding bad". There's something pretty valuable there.

After seeing my share of singers like this,I came away with the notion that....to the audience....it's the confidence and attitude factor that is "judged" and not the notes. To your basic civilian.

Wow...I will never doubt your observations again Bo! (Not that I did lol). Spot on-again, you receive a free pass for a thread "told you so".

If that was me...and I heard the first three notes out of my mouth sounding like that...I would not go near a mic for ten years as self penance.

It's not like-"Hey everybody, just wanted to let you know that our vocalist's wife was rushed to the hospital and he can't make it tonight so we are going to try and do the best we can."

I doubt I could stay in your situation-without saying *something*. Let the chips fall where they may, this isn't a "School of Rock" gig.
Yeah it’s weird. And here I am with a full calendar until May with these guys.
Devo will be way out.

I am impressed with the amount of personal security of the singers. If I sang the way they sing, I couldn't get up there and do it that unabashedly, so I give them props for that. I wouldn't offer that up in the first place. I mean there's a certain standard to uphold...just to remain true to my own personal requirements.

The singer in my blues band...after he gets some drinks in him...he doesn't seem to worry about his pitch...at all. He's got the attitude and force of personality to to pull it off, but technically, it sounds bad. BUT...you have to admire the damn the torpedos attitude and how people like that have zero fear of "sounding bad". There's something pretty valuable there.

After seeing my share of singers like this,I came away with the notion that....to the audience....it's the confidence and attitude factor that is "judged" and not the notes. To your basic civilian.
You’re probably right. Nobody said a thing. Nobody walked out. SMH.

Well I agree a singer can win over an audience with persona and if he/she lacks skill he/she can still belt it out in effort and that carries too. Half hearted attempts which I classify this singing-no heart, no emotion, no energy. Even if not a great voice that effort and persona can win an audience over and you have to give them credit for the effort. They really didn't attempt to harmonize on the song that in particular is all about harmonizing. Neither my brother or I sing well but we can harmonize and it sounds passable because we try to blend in.

I have to respectfully disagree Larry . You don’t have to be a musician/singer/ or play an instrument to know the vocals are terrible . Even if a band is great bad vocals just make it all sound bad to ...”your basic civilian “ and even musicians alike. But I will say as a musician /singer or instrumentalist we can judge individual parts of a band and give them credit , ( even a few “civilians”can) but I can’t give them credit for damning the torpedos and going for it , especially if it was known the vocals were this bad going in . And going by Bo’s other thread alluding to this ..... this was definitely the case .

Oh and Bo, nice job with the rhythm traveler, sounds good ??

Last edited:
I wouldn't be able to play drums in this band due to my constant laughing when the singing begins....Holy Shrimp Biscuits!

It's paying gigs (plural) all that singing sounds like money to me. It's Christmas people are being entertained it's all good we should all "fill" so blessed. Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays DWScreen Shot 2019-12-22 at 1.12.44 PM.png

In this particular case, while I give the singers credit to be able to sing how they do and seemingly not worry about it, I do not give them credit at all for trying their best to sing at least a convicted vocal. They didn't damn the torpedos. They pretty much limped through the vocal. No heart.

The bar is 100 times lower than say 80 years ago as far as the bare minimum skill needed to sing in bars these days lol. Maybe there is no bar anymore.

Well everybody can't sing like Yoko Ono so reach this level of talent (reminds me of a root canal). I'd pay to see Bo's band rather than listen to this for free.

I hope they take it positively as a motivation to make corrections.
It's been a weird set of text messages so far. The reason for taking it down was because it's a negative comment which is bad for business. However, if business was my only concern, then there's all kinds of stuff they're not looking at. So, knock on wood, I may or may not be in this band come tomorrow.

It's been a weird set of text messages so far. The reason for taking it down was because it's a negative comment which is bad for business. However, if business was my only concern, then there's all kinds of stuff they're not looking at. So, knock on wood, I may or may not be in this band come tomorrow.
For sure - if the primary reason for the request to take it down was the negative comment, rather than the quality of content, that's a big perception red flag right there.

Honestly, if I'd heard that clip posted by a bandmate, I'd be on the phone in 10 seconds requesting it taken down. The video did a fine job of being "bad for business" before any negative comment was posted.

The fact it's Debbie who posted the comment is potentially awkward, as it could be seen as somewhat subversive "play" from you, but as it's out in the open, the journey will lead to a conclusion one way or another.

Having seen other videos you've posted of this band, there's obviously a foundation vocal ability challenge, but other videos are mostly of a more acceptable standard. I'm guessing this latest video was a bad day at the office by comparison.

I think significant improvement is entirely possible with rehearsal & recording playback reference, but as there's a core ability ceiling, any improvement would need to be weighed against reasonable expectation. Improvement could be made instantly by weeding out the songs where vocals are currently most obviously lacking. The bassist is no lead singer, & probably never will be. The female lead can hold a tune, but needs to work on delivery. Perhaps you & the guitarist could take the weight of BV's, leaving the bassist to save some face by joining in on anything chant orientated.

Negative comments should be positive reinforcement for improvement, not a reason to hide. Sweeping stuff under the rug doesn't fix the problem.

Singer's egos were likely damaged by the truth of a recording.
Prediction: you will not be in this band come 2020.

With all due respect, I can't believe you're letting it go on this long. While I'm not on your level Bo, I'm a decent drummer and there's no way I could play in this band. I'd kindly let them know I'm not their guy for a drummer.

Back