More from this band....

Mendozart

Platinum Member
I’m sorry, I come from Disney so I’m just used to everybody nailing their stuff.
Funny you mention this. There was a guy on another forum, that recently opened a thread titled....
Has anyone ever seen a band at Disney that didn’t have great musicians?
👍

opentune

Platinum Member
Given the vocals, really the centrepiece of most bands, I find it hard to believe this band is booked so often.
I can sense your cringing inside while playing. You have been in so many WAY better sounding bands.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That a band or agent who is watching won't hesitate to offer Bo a gig?
Haha no! Well maybe, I dunno about that.

No I was thinking he is making them look better, they are making him look worse. If a band is mediocre, that includes the best member too. It all becomes a big pile of yuck.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Haha no! Well maybe, I dunno about that.

No I was thinking he is making them look better, they are making him look worse. If a band is mediocre, that includes the best member too. It all becomes a big pile of yuck.
Yeah, I get it, just trying to be optimistic. What is killing me here is that we all know Bo has lead vocals all day over this band.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Now you know..

I see, but then my question stays..

Since you consider yourself to be a pro and i remember you mentioning one time that nowadays you only want to work with other pro's too..:

Then why on earth would you like to be in a crap band like this..?

I can imagine playing with such a band 1 evening when getting a call and not knowing what to expect, but i can not imagine getting very enthousiastic when they would call the next week to ask to become a steady band member..

This is not looking (and definitely not sounding) to me like a monitor-problem or another problem that can be solved within a few rehearsals (and to be honest also not within a lot of rehearsals)..

Like has been said before, to just take the money and run would have been a better scenario in this case..:)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I see, but then my question stays..

Since you consider yourself to be a pro and i remember you mentioning one time that nowadays you only want to work with other pro's too..:

Then why on earth would you like to be in a crap band like this..?

I can imagine playing with such a band 1 evening when getting a call and not knowing what to expect, but i can not imagine getting very enthousiastic when they would call the next week to ask to become a steady band member..

This is not looking (and definitely not sounding) to me like a monitor-problem or another problem that can be solved within a few rehearsals (and to be honest also not within a lot of rehearsals)..

Like has been said before, to just take the money and run would have been a better scenario in this case..:)
This may be a case of not knowing what I signed up for. As soon as I said yes they filled my calendar. So part of my time spent has been wondering why they’re getting booked. I think I’m at the ground floor of fixing something so I do want to give it a shot. If I can’t, I can always bail. The Devo band gets busy come February.
So it’s on the job that I’m discovering what the issues are. But they tell me they’ve been in business for ten years - so why don’t they know what the issues are? I kinda want to find out.

So I can kill it before it grows 😉

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..This may be a case of not knowing what I signed up for. As soon as I said yes they filled my calendar..

I thought they called back the next week, but i've just read your thread again in which you announced the news and i see the decision was basically made on the same evening after you played with them the first time..

Maybe after a gig there is always a little more enthousiasm due to the excitement of the gig and i can also imagine the immediate prospect of gigs and money, but i doubt on that first gig things were different..

I have no idea, but i would say Southern California is big enough to find a better working band than this..

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I thought they called back the next week, but i've just read your thread again in which you announced the news and i see the decision was basically made on the same evening after you played with them the first time..

Maybe after a gig there is always a little more enthousiasm due to the excitement of the gig and i can also imagine the immediate prospect of gigs and money, but i doubt on that first gig things were different..

I have no idea, but i would say Southern California is big enough to find a better working band than this..
SoCal is big enough. I can even work less and still be happy to take on projects I really love. So I’m on a fence. If these people were snarky jerks it’d be easy to just quit, but they seem sincere and are less sarcastic than I am (which I get from working at Disney), so there could be hope.

Maybe.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Not control. The two singers are sharing one, and the guitar is taking the headphone feed from the same unit. And I send the feed to them.
Thanks Bo - of interest, is IEM a fairly new thing for them? Potentially skewed dominant vocal in the mix aside, I find IEMs are great in many respects (stage volumes, reference clarity, hearing protection, etc) but miss out on contextual stuff. For example, in my band, we'll perform with IEMs, and use them occasionally if we're rehearsing a show, but when trying new numbers / general song rehearsal sorting song issues, we rely on room sound, because it highlights blend, dynamic, sound choice, and other potential "disconnection" challenges.

I'm not suggesting IEMs are the cause, but they could be contributing to a lack of issue recognition.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Thanks Bo - of interest, is IEM a fairly new thing for them? Potentially skewed dominant vocal in the mix aside, I find IEMs are great in many respects (stage volumes, reference clarity, hearing protection, etc) but miss out on contextual stuff. For example, in my band, we'll perform with IEMs, and use them occasionally if we're rehearsing a show, but when trying new numbers / general song rehearsal sorting song issues, we rely on room sound, because it highlights blend, dynamic, sound choice, and other potential "disconnection" challenges.

I'm not suggesting IEMs are the cause, but they could be contributing to a lack of issue recognition.
I had thought about that too. The very first gig I did with them the venue provided sound with regular stage wedges for monitoring and everything seemed really good - I didn’t hear a lot of bad notes. So perhaps you’re right. Now in total isolation, these pitch issues are happening. But I’m failing to see how clearly hearing everybody, including yourself, could lead to pitch issues. Balance between instruments is one thing - but you can’t use the excuse of not knowing you’re on-pitch with IEMs?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Vocals sound way better than the last band I played in. You don’t have to be a Disney Musician to expect people to nail their parts. Just a little respect for the audience should do. Play right or stay home is my motto!

danondrums

I bet your playing is nice, but after reading everyone's take on the vocals I'm not going to open it.
It's definitely interesting when a musician doesn't hear/admit their own weaknesses when they are that obvious...
In my experience, the bad sounding musician in this case will never hear it on their own no matter how much it is in their face.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Maybe tell them you sing too Bo-try to blend in the "harmonies" so no one can hear him well in the mix. A choir can sound good despite weaker singers-so get everyone singing maybe so not a single voice dominates?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Maybe tell them you sing too Bo-try to blend in the "harmonies" so no one can hear him well in the mix. A choir can sound good despite weaker singers-so get everyone singing maybe so not a single voice dominates?
They know I sing. They’ve probably figured out by now why I’m not singing 😉

Mongrel

Silver Member
Wow...I will never doubt your observations again Bo! (Not that I did lol). Spot on-again, you receive a free pass for a thread "told you so".

If that was me...and I heard the first three notes out of my mouth sounding like that...I would not go near a mic for ten years as self penance.

It's not like-"Hey everybody, just wanted to let you know that our vocalist's wife was rushed to the hospital and he can't make it tonight so we are going to try and do the best we can."

I doubt I could stay in your situation-without saying *something*. Let the chips fall where they may, this isn't a "School of Rock" gig.