Max Weinberg

LiveandDangerous

I couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread for 'Mighty Max' Weinberg! Well there is one in General Discussion but I couldn't find one here. Great drummer with amazing stamina. Difficult to pick one tune but Candy's Room is absolutely made by the drumming.

He also drums on my favourite festive song, All Alone On Christmas by Steven Van Zandt, sung by the superb Darlene Love. I always air drum to it, I love the five beats at 1:24, the perfect fill for the song.

One of my biggest influences as far as my own style goes. While Phil Collins and Bill Bruford are my two favorite drummers to listen to, Max and Ringo (and Bill Berry) were my gurus as far as the more minimalist approach goes. And I learned how to play quarter notes with my right, rather than eighths--which was surprisingly hard for young me--because I wanted to play the Stax-ish groove of "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out."

Ummm...love Max’s personality. For real. His technique? Wow. No. Giving yourself carpal tunnel is NOT my goal in life. Thanks, but no thanks.

He has (or "had", before Covid) a great show where he would scroll a couple hundred songs up on a screen and audience members would shout out what they wanted his band to play. Great stories in between, too. Saw him perform early last year in Florida.

Probably due to my age, I first saw Max Weinberg as band leader on Conan when I was in high school. I instantly fell in love with his style. It was only in my 20's that I became a Springsteen fan. He seems so at ease and graceful. He makes everything he does look effortless.

Love Weinberg, Candy's Room is one of my favourite drum songs of all time, hell of a workout on the arms/wrists too.

I picked up an album recently, Max Weinberg Presents Let There Be Drums, where Weinberg picks his favourite drum songs from each decade and writes a little essay about them in the sleeve notes, fascinating.

I couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread for 'Mighty Max' Weinberg! Well there is one in General Discussion but I couldn't find one here. Great drummer with amazing stamina. Difficult to pick one tune but Candy's Room is absolutely made by the drumming.

He also drums on my favourite festive song, All Alone On Christmas by Steven Van Zandt, sung by the superb Darlene Love. I always air drum to it, I love the five beats at 1:24, the perfect fill for the song. VidMate

Max is a decent player with a wonderful career. We should all be so lucky.

I saw Springsteen and the E Street Band live for the first time last week. Obviously Springsteen is a musical icon, but it was so lovely to see Max at full flight, drumming with all the intensity, passion and showmanship that he always displays. Hearing Born To Run live was absolutely euphoric, not to mention the drum battle he had with the other drummer onstage.

I met Weinberg years ago at a Modern Drummer festival. Let's just say I've met nicer people in my life.

Probably due to my age, I first saw Max Weinberg as band leader on Conan when I was in high school. I instantly fell in love with his style. It was only in my 20's that I became a Springsteen fan. He seems so at ease and graceful. He makes everything he does look effortless.
The "Max Weinberg 7" CD is very good. It's with the same band he had on Conan. Which I guess mostly became the Basic Cable Band when Conan was on TNT - Max was no longer in the group.

Max also played on one of my favorite all time records, Bat Out of Hell. I was about 6 or 7 when I discoverd that album and thought (still do) that was some of the coolest drumming ever. I didn't even realize at the Springsteen connection at the time.

I recommend anyone check out Max Weinberg's Jukebox if they come to town. I saw him a few years ago and it was a great show. Basically, the audience picks the setlist. I have a pic somewhere on my phone I can post later, when he invited audience members on stage during Glory Days.

I had the honor of rear stage seats at the Meadowlands (jersey)and was able to really hone in and watch Max operate from behind the kit. Have to say he’s nothing short of amazing ! He has a small video monitor on top of his bass drum so he can see Bruce from the front , as you probably know he calls out and starts songs on a whim his sidemen must be ready and alert at all times.( what set list?!)

Max works his kit with no wasted movement , every hit intentional precise and powerful. His fills are smooth and flawless. Perfect drummer for Bruce. Great chemistry within the band and Techs, these guys really know how to put on a great show … and for four hours!

I picked up Max's book The Big Beat, Conversations With Rock's Greatest Drummers this week too. Out of print but it is like the Holy Grail if you're remotely interested in drumming. He talks to Ringo, Hal Blaine, DJ Fontana, Earl Palmer, Bernard Purdie, even Dave Clark. Lots of wonderful insights, especially as it's one drummer talking to another. Fascinating.

I am not sure if he had anything to do to get old time drummers such as Louie Bellson and Joe Morello to appear on the Conan O'Brien show.
Sure he did. Plus Conan loves the old school musicians as well.

I met Weinberg years ago at a Modern Drummer festival. Let's just say I've met nicer people in my life.
Maybe, and this is just a suggestion, he just didn't like you. Or had a bad day. You seem to like saying stuff like " Lets just say" then being horrible about someone most of us will never meet and who have no way of answering your accusations without seeming unprofessional. Which for a pro in your position seems kinda seedy.

Last edited:
Back