Let's see your POV/ Driver's seat pics

Same kit, same place, two different shows. How close did I come to setting up the same way twice?
1694445445318.png
1694445462054.png

I don't know how close you came to setting it up the same way but it certainly looks like you needed a trailer truck to get it all in! Wow... love it!
It all fits in the back of a Subaru Outback and really, it's just a one-up, two-down 🤷‍♀️

Kit that is in the rehearsal space (Mapex Saturn), but the cymbals and most of the hardware is mine (haul that with me every time since the hardware there is crap). Was early today and realised i had an unused clamp in my hardware bag, so grabbed a stand from there and used it to mount the toms from there. Much more comfortable setup this way! Been playing there for almost a year and boggles me that i didn't think of this before xD

2023-09-15 13.09.40.jpg

Did notice my 19" K Dark Thin Crash had a drop in volume, so fear grabbed me again since same thing happened to my 10" A Zildjian splash a month ago and it cracked. Couldn't find a crack after close inspection, so keeping my fingers crossed!

Kit that is in the rehearsal space (Mapex Saturn), but the cymbals and most of the hardware is mine (haul that with me every time since the hardware there is crap). Was early today and realised i had an unused clamp in my hardware bag, so grabbed a stand from there and used it to mount the toms from there. Much more comfortable setup this way! Been playing there for almost a year and boggles me that i didn't think of this before xD

View attachment 138784

Did notice my 19" K Dark Thin Crash had a drop in volume, so fear grabbed me again since same thing happened to my 10" A Zildjian splash a month ago and it cracked. Couldn't find a crack after close inspection, so keeping my fingers crossed!

yep....freeing your toms from the "bass drum prison" is such a liberating thing!!! When I got my new set years ago, that was the first thing I ordered....virgin bass drum, and clamps to mount on cymbal stands (and now, a rack). I wanted to be able to put stuff anywhere I want it

yep....freeing your toms from the "bass drum prison" is such a liberating thing!!! When I got my new set years ago, that was the first thing I ordered....virgin bass drum, and clamps to mount on cymbal stands (and now, a rack). I wanted to be able to put stuff anywhere I want it
It's not my kit, but a kit provided by the rehearsal studio. They have a Sonor SQ1 in the other room (i far more like this one!). But i didn't fiddle with it too much since it isn't mine. Today i felt it was time for a change since last few rehearsal my shoulders acted up. I do a fair amount of tom and ride work, so this is far better. Just get the entire mount of the bass drum and clamp it up to a random stand there.
I get with what you mean with toms from stands or a rack (done both), but i like this far more. Gets the ride in a comfy low position and so much easier to position everything.

Hope someday to use my own (huge) kit again, but still have fun on this baby :)

Quick update after the pic a week ago. Added the bigger stack again and really enjoying this smaller setup. Yeah, ok... i keep adding cymbals, but i like how i can add extra stuff without having to haul around extra stands etc. and make due with small Gibraltar boom arms and a clamp. Pushing the limit now, but it was great fun having the stack again after a year or so. Oh btw the stack is a Paiste PST-X 14" Flanger Crash with a Meinl Generation-X 12" Filter China on the bottom (bell up). Both are inexpensive cymbals that make a great stack!

Been using the PST-X 18" Swiss Medium Crash and the 2002 10" Splash for a while now and both are amazing cymbals. Although the Swiss Crash is labelled 'medium', it's more comparable to my Zildjian Medium Thin Crashes. It's lighter because of the holes, but it's thinner than the Zildjians. The 2002 splash is my fav cymbal at the moment, so happy with it! Just the quintessential splash sound!

2023-09-22 14.45.38.jpg

Yamahas with Adam.jpg

Yamaha Recording Custom: 22x14, 14x14, 12x8
Noble and Cooley SS Maple 14x7
Yamaha Crosstown Hardware and FP9C bass drum pedal. Tama throne.
Paiste Cymbals, left to right: 14" 602 ME Hi Hats, 20" ME Crash, 10" PSTX splash, 22" ME Ride, 20" Masters Crash, 8" Signature splash, 22" Masters Swish.

This was for a gig with Adam Brooks Band at Hamilton College's 600 seat Wellin Hall. Mic'ed with only two overheads and a Beta 91. They tell me it sounded good out front. It definitely sounded great onstage.

View attachment 139102

Paiste Cymbals, left to right: 14" 602 ME Hi Hats, 20" ME Crash, 10" PSTX splash, 22" ME Ride, 20" Masters Crash, 8" Signature splash, 22" Masters Swish.

This was for a gig with Adam Brooks Band at Hamilton College's 600 seat Wellin Hall. Mic'ed with only two overheads and a Beta 91. They tell me it sounded good out front. It definitely sounded great onstage.

Really like the snare. (y)

View attachment 139102

Beautiful! Side note- and I'm not picking on you, Neal- I know we drummers typically set our kits up the way we've discovered is comfy and ergonomical for ourselves (except maybe beginners who haven't sorted that out yet), so given that, I don't understand having floor toms & side snares set at a different height from the primary snare.- What's the reasoning? Personally, if I was playing a pattern between the snare & FT, or playing them in unison, the different heights would throw me off.

Beautiful! Side note- and I'm not picking on you, Neal- I know we drummers typically set our kits up the way we've discovered is comfy and ergonomical for ourselves (except maybe beginners who haven't sorted that out yet), so given that, I don't understand having floor toms & side snares set at a different height from the primary snare.- What's the reasoning? Personally, if I was playing a pattern between the snare & FT, or playing them in unison, the different heights would throw me off.

Yeah, sorry. I actually lowered the snare after I snapped the photo. :D. I typically keep them pretty level, though I'm not super-picky about it, to be honest.

Good catch, though!

Back