Keith Moon

• Thread starter tuckerduncan2002
  • Start date
He was a natural, an original. I wish that he had a drum set at Tara House and shredded with all that time off. Instead, he slowly destroyed himself with booze and drugs. I have the Tony Fletcher book, and am amazed at all the stories! I loved his playing on all the Who albums. I even purchased the remastered "Two Sides Of The Moon" just to have it in his honor.
To me, stylistically, he was the Elvin Jones of Rock drummers with his rolling, tumbling, galloping playing. Even Tony Williams loved him!

Just my $0.02

He was a natural, an original. I wish that he had a drum set at Tara House and shredded with all that time off. Instead, he slowly destroyed himself with booze and drugs. I have the Tony Fletcher book, and am amazed at all the stories! I loved his playing on all the Who albums. I even purchased the remastered "Two Sides Of The Moon" just to have it in his honor.
To me, stylistically, he was the Elvin Jones of Rock drummers with his rolling, tumbling, galloping playing. Even Tony Williams loved him!

Just my $0.02
your $0.02 just purchased alot of truth ! Well said!

"The man is a drummer. Everything he plays, he contains it." —Elvin Jones on Keith Moon.

Like ssssoooooo many wonderfully talented musicians and personalities, self destruction seems to go hand in hand with their talents. RIP Keith Moon. He was instrumental in that he just went off on a different path while playing drums... hell he just didn't keep a beat and play fills, he was MUSICAL in all respects. Listen to Tommy ......

OldSkoolsoul man you beat me to it!!!!! ROFL that's priceless. I'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't return eventually.

Last edited:
"Flamboyant" is how I will always remember Keith Moon-a flare for drumming, flare for life. Watching him play compared to his peers was him zipping around basically streaming on drums LOL.

Cant's say I'm a fan of all those color coded 'drummer attributes' and 'minimum drummer level' requirements for the different parts... Its aimed at young folks playing video games, right?

Moon was an original. Ever tried to play his parts. They're definitely weird in that they aren't what a typical or schooled drummer would play. Some of simple & some are deceptively difficult because his fills are in odd places. He's like Sinatra in that even though you may know the words/phrases, playing it exactly the way HE did it is next to impossible. Moon did not operate with the same parameters as the rest of us.

This drummer is not the guy I would want in a Who tribute band. He struggles the whole time with Moonies parts.

Yeah, his other videos he does a decent job emulating other drummer's parts and vibes without copying them and having his own spice to things, but I didn't really feel Moon in this video. He's so unorthodox that you really have to let go of a lot of "schooling" in order to ape him.

Sorry but this video is just horribly wrong and full of badly played drumparts. I just don't know where to start in order to correct things... I need to take breath first.

Yeah, his other videos he does a decent job emulating other drummer's parts and vibes without copying them and having his own spice to things, but I didn't really feel Moon in this video. He's so unorthodox that you really have to let go of a lot of "schooling" in order to ape him.

It's fair to say that Moon's drumming had a frantic-bohemian vibe to it, and that few other drummers can emulate it.

Outside of Jon Bolton and Greg Saunier, I really can't name any that I've seen reproduce it.

Back