Is there something going on w Modern Drummer? Subscription Issues

They don't really have a sales floor. It was difficult to find as it is an old church building with a small sign on the door. I assumed that they were open to the public. When I got there, I explained that I was waiting to pick up an RV and had some free time. I also had some drum parts that I was looking for. They were very nice, and let my wife and I in to shop (I bought a good amount of stuff).
I would probably buy a good amount of stuff too, but when I inquired, the phone guy said they couldn't even bring a snare to the door for me to look at. Maybe I didn't talk to the right person. Don't get me wrong... I love DFD and gladly give them my business. (y)

I would probably buy a good amount of stuff too, but when I inquired, the phone guy said they couldn't even bring a snare to the door for me to look at. Maybe I didn't talk to the right person. Don't get me wrong... I love DFD and gladly give them my business. (y)
I just showed up assuming that they were open to the public. This was a few years ago. I guess they didn’t want to turn me away. I could tell that (while they were not used to having customers stop by in person) their customer service skills we’re top notch. Very helpful and friendly.

Maybe their policy of not having shoppers in person is due to insurance reasons or local zoning ordinances.

Magazines if I'm reading correctly notices coming from my Car and Driver subscription

are turning into Bi-monthlies
6 a year not 12
Issues are marked "Jan/Feb" etc

In an auction that ends Saturday, Modern Drummer CEO David Frangioni is selling off parts of his "private drum museum." While the announcement didn't address when and how the drums could be delivered, the auction lots include:

1. One-of-One 1973 Neal Smith Billion Dollar Babies Tour Premier Mirror Ball Drum Kit:

o Played by Neal Smith of the Alice Cooper Band during the groundbreaking 1973 Billion Dollar Babies Tour.

o This custom-wrapped, 18-piece Premier drum kit includes two kick drums, three floor toms, six rack toms, six stand toms, and a chrome Premier snare.

2. One-of-One 1977-78 Joe Stefko Meat Loaf "Bat Out of Hell" World Tour Drum Kit:
o Created by Slingerland Drum Company for Joe Stefko, this 10-piece kit was used on the original "Bat Out of Hell" tours.

o Features deep toms and a custom drum head with iconic artwork.

3. One-of-One 1994 Frank Beard ZZ Top Tour Prototype Snare Drum:

o A glow-in-the-dark prototype snare used by Frank Beard, the legendary drummer of ZZ Top.

4. Bun E. Carlos Personally-Owned Blue Oyster Pearl Ludwig Snare Drum:

o Owned by Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick, inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2016.

I subscribed to MD magazine about 2 years ago.

I cancelled it after one year.

Ironically......I was getting more information from them in their post cancellation e-mails than what I did from the actual magazine itself 🙄
They cancelled my subscription (see above posts) and I never went back. I've picked up the first two issues of PAS' Drumset magazine - so far, I like it a lot. Mike Dawson (ex. MD) is involved - he writes and edits great stuff. Cheers!

Back