INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

nice!! what do you play in band? I am a percussion instructor for a high school program, and a band director at 3 of the muddle schools that feed into the high school. If you are lucky enough to have a situation where the instruction is good, school band will help you out A LOT in your future!!!

I played quads growing up, and those are still my most favorite drums...even more than drum set honestly. I was in marching band, concert band, jazz band, pit orchestra, played in rock bands, tried out for drum corps....

nice!! what do you play in band? I am a percussion instructor for a high school program, and a band director at 3 of the muddle schools that feed into the high school. If you are lucky enough to have a situation where the instruction is good, school band will help you out A LOT in your future!!!

I played quads growing up, and those are still my most favorite drums...even more than drum set honestly. I was in marching band, concert band, jazz band, pit orchestra, played in rock bands, tried out for drum corps....
just a snare player. Sometimes I play some random percussion stuff every now and again in concert band

just a snare player. Sometimes I play some random percussion stuff every now and again in concert band

are you guys a competitive /drum corps style band? Or more like a football game only band?

only asking so that when you have questions in the forum, i know your background. Many of us can help if we know where you are coming from musically

are you guys a competitive /drum corps style band? Or more like a football game only band?

only asking so that when you have questions in the forum, i know your background. Many of us can help if we know where you are coming from musically
football game kind of band

no worries!

I can read music and know SOME rudiments but i'm not a very complex kind of drummer

that is good...you don't need to know how to read symphonies, but knowing how to read the basics is super helpful for figuring out drum parts later on

same with rudiments...if you can do single, double, triple and paradiddle-diddles; buzz and double stroke rolls, and basic flams, you have a pretty good foundation for everything in the future!

Greetings everyone! Well, re-greetings, I should say. Took a break from the forum for a while, got some personal issues handled, and wanted to participate in the community again. My previous handle here was Ryan Culberson. For any Cymbalholics, I went by Ryno over there.

Looking forward to participating again,

Ryan

Greetings everyone! Well, re-greetings, I should say. Took a break from the forum for a while, got some personal issues handled, and wanted to participate in the community again. My previous handle here was Ryan Culberson. For any Cymbalholics, I went by Ryno over there.

Ryan
Hey, welcome back! I remember you from your previous user name. Good to see you here again. :)

Reactions: RVC

Ryan
Welcome back mate! :) (y)

Reactions: RVC
Hey, welcome back! I remember you from your previous user name. Good to see you here again. :)

same!!! welcome back again...we tried to keep the place clean...but, well...you know....

Hello. Casual drummer here, though I’m working on it. Actually a guitarist that just decided I really needed another expensive hobby. So far I’ve managed to put about $2k into a $100 kit. Late 90s Pearl Prestige Session Select, 10, 12, 14, 20. Ive become a snare slut too. Main choice is a Tama G-hickory 6.5x14, but there’s a Pearl c.o.b. 5x14, and an old Kingbeat I recently snagged at an estate sale. A nicely patina-ed set of new beats, a 17 K hybrid crash and a 20 K custom dark ride. Next on the list is a 22 ping ride.
Currently in an apartment so I’ve got mesh heads and some L80s. Should be in our own place by the end of the year, so I’m stoked to scrap this low volume stuff.
Only been playing “seriously” for a couple years and taking lessons for about half of that. IMG_7787.jpeg

Hello. Casual drummer here, though I’m working on it. Actually a guitarist that just decided I really needed another expensive hobby. So far I’ve managed to put about $2k into a $100 kit. Late 90s Pearl Prestige Session Select, 10, 12, 14, 20. Ive become a snare slut too. Main choice is a Tama G-hickory 6.5x14, but there’s a Pearl c.o.b. 5x14, and an old Kingbeat I recently snagged at an estate sale. A nicely patina-ed set of new beats, a 17 K hybrid crash and a 20 K custom dark ride. Next on the list is a 22 ping ride.
Currently in an apartment so I’ve got mesh heads and some L80s. Should be in our own place by the end of the year, so I’m stoked to scrap this low volume stuff.
Only been playing “seriously” for a couple years and taking lessons for about half of that. View attachment 144434
Careful. I'm a Guitar player too. After 40+ years I got bit by the drum bug. I haven't touched a guitar now for several years. They're addicting.

Careful. I'm a Guitar player too. After 40+ years I got bit by the drum bug. I haven't touched a guitar now for several years. They're addicting.
These days my guitars get pulled out for teaching mostly. Or if I need to settle my brain before bed. The drums started more as a physical thing. “Can I learn to do that?” Sort of like wanting to learn a new skateboarding trick.

Real name? Ben Aberegg

Age? 64

How long have you been playing? around 54 years +/-

Origin of user name? If you don't understand the names origin (DRUMS01) then explaining it would not help (it's pretty basic,..smile).

Your top 5 drummers? Buddy Rich (classic jazz), John Bonham (early rock), Neil Peart "The Doctor", Jeff Pocaro (the groove meister), Simon Phillips (shaped by jazz and cured/seasoned by rock)

Make of drumkit? First went through 50's era 5 pc. Slingerland (fire blue), then 5 pc. Ludwig Vista Lites (in yellow tint), then I still have my mint 1995 Pearl Export "Select" 7 pc set in natural honey lacquer in my home studio, and play out on a DW 5pc in black walnut (all are/were acoustic)

Make of cymbal? Zildjain, Paiste, and Sabian (mix) with Zildjain 14" quick beat ported hats

Where do you practice? Home, some studio, and venue

Are you in a band? Been in several over the years (haven't we all), currently retired and playing in a large church worship / praise team (current contemporary Christian music).

Do you play covers or originals? yes and yes

What style of music? My favorite is progressive and syncopated rock like Toto, Tears for Fears, Steely Dan, even Gino Vanneli; currently playing stuff from Brandon Lake, Phil Wickham, Crowder, etc.

Favorite take out food? If I had to pick just one, it would most likely be Mexican

What country do you live in? USA

One really odd fact about yourself? Went through music in school (grades 5-12) twice; once myself and the second time with my special needs son who was a drummer. I've marched in 10 years of football halftime shows and parades. We (my son and I) marched every routine on the football field, leaning 5 different shows (drill and music) each year for 4 yrs. At the end of his final year, during the awards banquet, I was awarded the most senior... senior. (smile, can't make that stuff up!).

I have to add another "odd" thing, I am left footed (base) and left handed (snare) so I play with a matched hand in open format but the toms are set up for right handers (left to right). It is next to impossible to just jump in behind another drummer and play their set. It's not a strange as it sounds actually, but it is different.

How did you start drumming? With my hands.... then feet. Exposed at birth, it's always been about the feel and emotion. It was my escape during the fast moving 60's and 70's to eventually being my musical therapy and cardio (now). Out of 6 decades of life playing drums and being Christian have been my only constants.

Last edited:
Real name? Ben Aberegg

Age? 64

How long have you been playing? around 54 years +/-

Origin of user name? If you don't understand the names origin (DRUMS01) then explaining it would not help (it's pretty basic,..smile).

Your top 5 drummers? Buddy Rich (classic jazz), John Bonham (early rock), Neil Peart "The Doctor", Jeff Pocaro (the groove meister), Simon Phillips (shaped by jazz and cured/seasoned by rock)

Make of drumkit? First went through 50's era 5 pc. Slingerland (fire blue), then 5 pc. Ludwig Vista Lites (in yellow tint), then I still have my mint 1995 Pearl Export "Select" 7 pc set in natural honey lacquer in my home studio, and play out on a DW 5pc in black walnut (all are/were acoustic)

Make of cymbal? Zildjain, Paiste, and Sabian (mix) with Zildjain 14" quick beat ported hats

Where do you practice? Home, some studio, and venue

Are you in a band? Been in several over the years (haven't we all), currently retired and playing in a large church worship / praise team (current contemporary Christian music).

Do you play covers or originals? yes and yes

What style of music? My favorite is progressive and syncopated rock like Toto, Steely Dan, even Gino Vanneli; currently playing stuff from Brandon Lake, Phil Wickham, Crowder, etc.

Favorite take out food? If I had to pick just one, it would most likely be Mexican

What country do you live in? USA

One really odd fact about yourself? Went through music in school (grades 5-12) twice; once myself and the second time with my special needs son who was a drummer. I've marched in 10 years of football halftime shows and parades. We (my son and I) marched every routine on the football field, leaning 5 different shows (drill and music) each year for 4 yrs. At the end of his final year, during the awards banquet, I was awarded the most senior... senior. (smile, can't make that stuff up!).

I have to add another "odd" thing, I am left footed (base) and left handed (snare) so I play with a matched hand in open format but the toms are set up for right handers (left to right). It is next to impossible to just jump in behind a mother drummer and play the set. It's not a strange as it sounds actually, but it is different.

How did you start drumming? With my hands.... then feet. Exposed at birth, it's always been about the feel and emotion. It was my escape during the fast moving 60's and 70's to eventually being my musical therapy and cardio (now). Out of 6 decades of life it has been my one constant.

welcome to the forum!!!! Another marching guy here too. I love the story of you and your son!!!! I teach high school drumline; indoor drumline and was on staff at Ohio State for about 5 years during the first "Youtube Fame" shows as the quad section coordinator. I am the drumline guy, and an assistant band director at the school I graduated from 40 years ago, so I also get called the Super Senior. I joke with the kids about not being able to pass Algebra 2...

what did your son play?

welcome to the forum!!!! Another marching guy here too. I love the story of you and your son!!!! I teach high school drumline; indoor drumline and was on staff at Ohio State for about 5 years during the first "Youtube Fame" shows as the quad section coordinator. I am the drumline guy, and an assistant band director at the school I graduated from 40 years ago, so I also get called the Super Senior. I joke with the kids about not being able to pass Algebra 2...

what did your son play?
My son, Jarrod, played everything in concert band. In pep, stage, and marching either base, tenor, cymbals, and misc. auxiliary. Unfortunately, because of the severity of his handicap, most of the playing was hand over hand method (as you see in the first photo). There is no doubt, he is a percussionist at heart though. Even today (he is 26) anytime I'm playing, composing, or learning on the kit he is always beside me. There are times I even have him play the set with one hand in mine while I play the other hand (he loves it).

Funny you mentioned teaching a drum line as I've done that some too at Heath High School (where Jarrod went to school). Also, from 16-18 yrs old I taught a a local music store before joining the military. I no longer have the patience or temperament to teach as I once did. I'm happy that you have had the opportunity to take your music skills to the next level. A good friend of mine, Tracy played/marched at OSU and graduated with her degree in music. She was a band director locally for many years. Her husband Eric also played and marched at OSU.

With that said, all I can add is....... O - H !! and TBDBITL .....

Attachments

• IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    393.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    457.2 KB · Views: 11
My son, Jarrod, played everything in concert band. In pep, stage, and marching either base, tenor, cymbals, and misc. auxiliary. Unfortunately, because of the severity of his handicap, most of the playing was hand over hand method (as you see in the first photo). There is no doubt, he is a percussionist at heart though. Even today (he is 26) anytime I'm playing, composing, or learning on the kit he is always beside me. There are times I even have him play the set with one hand in mine while I play the other hand (he loves it).

Funny you mentioned teaching a drum line as I've done that some too at Heath High School (where Jarrod went to school). Also, from 16-18 yrs old I taught a a local music store before joining the military. I no longer have the patience or temperament to teach as I once did. I'm happy that you have had the opportunity to take your music skills to the next level. A good friend of mine, Tracy played/marched at OSU and graduated with her degree in music. She was a band director locally for many years. Her husband Eric also played and marched at OSU.

With that said, all I can add is....... O - H !! and TBDBITL .....

I-O!!!!!

so weird...my step son's name is also Jarod, and he is a drummer as well!!! He played all through middle and high shcool, and is now in college - University of Akron - and still plays in their band, as well as doing indoor drumline.

i love it that your Jarrod did all of the bands in school...getting the whole experience. i'll bet he had a blast!! and the way you play drum set with im was how my dad taught me back in the 70's...I would sit on his lap, and he would put his hands around mine and make me "play" along to Take 5 and Sing, Sing, Sing. Such a cool bond!! that is what made me decide to be a drummer full time. As far back as 5 years old, i knew that was my calling.

and dad was in the Marines. Where did you serve? Lots of cool connections here!!!!

Back