INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE DRUMMING CULTURE: LOVE IT? HATE IT? WHY?

It's the app on her phone. It has permission to use the microphone and the camera, as well as have access to her contacts. More of the data mining she agreed to in the TOS.
Anyone remember the human centiPad episode of South Park? It all stemmed from people not reading Apple's TOS agreement before agreeing.
Maybe the younger generation thinks big brother is good, I dunno. My opinion is vastly different. If I want someone to know something, I will tell them. If I dont, it's not their business.

I cant imagine the collectable data from a smart house.

As is their right. The fact almost no one bothers to actually read the TOS for FB is their own fault. It lays out, albeit not clearly, that FB collects data from your personal page and whatever you share and they can then do as they please with that information. The fact people blindly share intimate details of their lives on a website has always baffled me.
FB and all it's associated entities are nothing but flashy data mining operations to sell advertising and make The Zuckerbot 2.0 more money. If you can't see that or refuse to acknowledge it, you forfeit your right to complain about what is done with said data.
I never joined FB. I always saw it as utterly useless and time has proven me right.

same here...I joined NO social media for the same reason...and am glad that I did.

in light of that, I receive NO robo calls, very little spam e mail...I think I am pretty "internet anonymous" in that light

my wife - who was social media addicted before I met her - gets non stop robo calls and at least 200 spam/junk e mails a day. I have been weening her off of social media for the past 5 years, and it has definitely helped her demeanor

I don't count forums as social media - though some do - but it is not the same thing

And yet, if they go to far, it becomes a Minority Report dystopia.
So where do we draw the line? If they dont use the info, do they really need it? And if they do use the info, do they really need all that they collect.

The Allstate Drivewise app is a horrible data collector also. It's basically a tracking device. It knows where you live, where you go, your speed, if you brake too fast, etc. Those little devices that plug into the cars ECU are even worse. They know everything.

So where do we draw the line? If they dont use the info, do they really need it? And if they do use the info, do they really need all that they collect.

The Allstate Drivewise app is a horrible data collector also. It's basically a tracking device. It knows where you live, where you go, your speed, if you brake too fast, etc. Those little devices that plug into the cars ECU are even worse. They know everything.

when I got my new Tacoma, I opted out of all of the driving analytics...and the salesperson was shocked: "don't you want to be able to check our tire air pressure on your phone...at any time? Or have your truck tell you when it is time to get service? Don't you want to use Alexa to help you find music to listen to?"

nope

what I don't want is people looking into the minutiae of my life all of the time....

when I got my new Tacoma, I opted out of all of the driving analytics...and the salesperson was shocked: "don't you want to be able to check our tire air pressure on your phone...at any time? Or have your truck tell you when it is time to get service? Don't you want to use Alexa to help you find music to listen to?"

nope

what I don't want is people looking into the minutiae of my life all of the time....
I dont blame you. Not only can they nose into your life, it's more stuff to go wrong with an expensive, important investment.

I dont blame you. Not only can they nose into your life, it's more stuff to go wrong with an expensive, important investment.

yep...I still have all of the technology on their truck b/c it came standard, but I ain't using it. All I need is a aux jack and AC and I am fine...and power windows...

There is always jealousy in the musician community and I think YouTube hyper-inflates it when someone has a successful channel but may not have 'proven' themselves musically in other areas. It's really a separate art form of what a creative musician can do to provide 'entertainment' which may be a combination of being content driven or just fun. No doubt there is a creative outlet for sustaining interest along with peripheral skills such as video editing. Someone like Davie504 comes to mind who created a really funny persona with great editing while holding up as a real killer bassist w/ over a 9M subs, ideally you have all the magic ingredients.

On contrary, you get factors such cuteness, sex appeal, politics and prodigy wonder kinds (or just parents putting their kids in from of a camera) that factor in popularity for YT traffic....things that have nothing to do with drumming or even music. Not sure putting your kid in front of a camera is such a good thing, not counting all the weirdos out there. Yoyoka for example has a popular channel with fun kid drumming with showmanship, it's a fun watch that many enjoy (I enjoy it)...even got a DW spot here. But now a child has the responsibility of content to feed a sub base that no doubt generates money and the 'youth' aspect diminishes after every passing year, hopefully the original captured joy of drumming won't fret. Then you have monster players like Dan Weiss or Zack Hill who are real rhythmic visionaries purging new ground and don't have a DW slot....but it's an old story, creativity doesn't necessarily get rewarded.

I realize today the music business is vastly different and "sales" are dead and playlist popularity on Spotify etc. is the driver of many things, however I have spoken with several engineers I know that have been around for decades and they complain that while there are many very talented young drummers, many cannot consistently play a 4 min song through with feel and emotion that compliments the music.

Now we have an army of chop dudes, and yes many have great chops and many can play a paradiddle-fladuple-double-deluxe-flam-flam at 230bps better than I can but I worry about creativity, groove and pocket.....you know the things that most popular music is or was based on the past 50 years. A 5 min video of a drummer playing perfect time with groove and style like Jeff Porcaro probably won't get them the "views" they need so instead we get speed chops, pretty people dolled up for the camera.

"Gospel Chop" players seem to be more and more the rage on YT over the last year. I'm sure COVID had a lot to do with it as people had more time to figure out video equipment and how to post.

But as they're not playing with other people, they'll learn fast that doing YT vids is a horrible way to audition.

As is their right. The fact almost no one bothers to actually read the TOS for FB is their own fault. It lays out, albeit not clearly, that FB collects data from your personal page and whatever you share and they can then do as they please with that information. The fact people blindly share intimate details of their lives on a website has always baffled me.
FB and all it's associated entities are nothing but flashy data mining operations to sell advertising and make The Zuckerbot 2.0 more money. If you can't see that or refuse to acknowledge it, you forfeit your right to complain about what is done with said data.
I never joined FB. I always saw it as utterly useless and time has proven me right.

I never joined FB. I always saw it as utterly useless and time has proven me righ

Even if you don't have a FB account FB is still collecting data from you...not that easy to escape unless you managed to encrypt every single transaction you had, then route through multiple VPNs and even then you can still be traced. (Of course we are talking normal folks not professional hackers). Believing that not having a FB account is keeping your data protected is not quite correct. FB is not the only one that collects and shares data. Even drummerworld is collecting some data of course not with the intention to sell or harm anyone but they have your IP, your name or at least nick name etc.

i dont mind youtube for drummers, got to meet some seriously nice people through the power of drumming on social media. i dont have a facebook account but i dot have instagram to keep in touch with friends from all over the globe.

i can see the benefit and detriment of drumming on social media, the benefit is theres a of useful information and tutorials out there, the detriment is that theres also a lot of mis-information out there and some people teaching who shouldnt be due to said misinformation theyre touting.

I met Nate at this after NAMM Jam with Andy Prado Jr and Forest Rice and Sean Wright (and Shariq Tucker made an unexpected appearance!)

I really like Nate's video but he sucked the energy out of the like crazy in the middle of those other monsters....he's a fantastic educator and a nice guy - but that was tough to watch in person haha.

Vaguely on topic - but something that irritates me more than it should about Instagram drummers.

Female (and it does seem to by 90% women) drummers playing whilst looking at the camera. To me, it just makes the video not about the drumming, but about them - which I guess is the point of Instagram. Are they making eye-contact with members of the audience when playing live?

Wish YouTube existed when I first started playing as a kid, 50 years ago.
Access to "Learning" an instrument (or anything) seems a lot easier now, that's for sure.
I don’t like when drummers say they’re “covering” a song when they’re simply playing along to an album.
This seems like a discussion about "the money beat", as I understand it. Covering and copying are different to me.
I always say I like live music...when I stated my favorite albums, I have "This" version...usually not exactly like the album.
I always thought, why would I pay that much money to see "exactly the album"? I already paid for and own the album.

I've used Lindsey Sterling as an example. The "popularity contest" shows failed her, so she started doing it on YT. She JAMS, is very entertaining, very talented, got her "word" out. Her "covers" are definitely NOT "the money beat"...as I understand it.
I will suggest her version of Phantom of the Opera. Very cool!

With YT in general, I find (classic rock) videos and SCREAM: Who was hiding all these videos for all these decades?!?!?!?"
I really like some of the Jared and Rob from Drumeo and Rob Hirons videos!8
I also really like some of the auto repair videos. Saved me A LOT of money!

With FB, IG, TikTok, Twitville... I don't get involved.

Back