In your own words, try to describe the Sonor phonic sound.

Bozozoid

Diamond Member
Phonic plus as well. I'm waiting to see if anyone comes close to my description. 30 years ago I was at a local club listening to a road band and was talking with the drummer on break about kits. He was playing a natural lacquered Gretsch kit. When he described his thought on Sonor phonics it has stayed with me to this day. This may be my favorite thread of all time as short lived as it will be. Lay it on me. 🎶 😃.

Sorry, I can't even give you a Yamaha Stage Custom sound description...

What club were you playing and what was your description 😃.
post 3

beemans2_6d07d92d-043b-487f-84e2-6b3b701edf1a_190x.jpg

3ce7fbc2c58450e66ebfbf7d6997ce55.jpg

Without drum heads they sould like every other drum kit.

And with tea towels on the toms they sound like Ludwig drums.

Back in the...err.. 80s.. There was a local Act. pretty Popular. Almost had a national hit single (Vitamin L) . "B.E. Taylor" was the groups name and they would play often locally where I would venture over to see them. Big crowds. And the drummer always always always had the same (pewter wrap) 5 pc. Sonor Phonic kit.

From far back in the crowd of a few hundred. Decent sized PA. You could- I could hear- the different sound of those Sonors. No. Doubt. About. It.

Later (or earlier must of been 79) twice I had opportunity to sit behind Phonics.
At a rehearsal at a fellas house. Like a living room it was and Oak (light) colored Phonics were there.
As soon as I hit them- was like an 18/12/13/14 (in Boston, there were a ton of Sonor in Boston at the time) - as soon as I hit the small toms my mind went straight to my RB Gretsch in that-----they were stiff hard table top hard/ stiff-- just like my Gretsch. I'll never forget that. And they weren't/ didn't have Die-cast hoops- but they were just as stiff.

I admired that
I thought then as now "these are well-built"

Last edited:
I’m going to be honest…I was not super familiar with those…so I looked up some vids with the headphones….and WOW! Tremendous sounding. I haven’t come up with enough words to articulate a description…..other than bold….full….thunder. I’d love a set of these

Back