Ian Paice

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I hear you.

I can only guess it's because, unlike Moon and Bonham, he's still with us......he never went out in a well publicised "blaze of glory." And unlike Carmine, he hasn't spent a lifetime making sure others are well versed in his level of influence......i.e. talking up his own book. :)

Fabulous drummer. Fabulous band.
I think your spot on.

I have to admit, I didn't fully appreciate Paice until I saw him live in the 90's.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I saw him at MoR in 2006 when they brought it back for a one off. Great gig!

They set up right at the front of the stage and I made sure I was down the front as well.

He's so laid back when he plays and has tremendous feel. He's I a rare group of one of my drum idols that's still alive and still playing!

boomstick

Silver Member
Brilliant musician. I always admired his playing, but wasn't exposed to it that much because I wasn't really into the bands he was in. I should probably revisit that music though. What would be the best early Deep Purple album to start with?

Here's a bit of Paice wisdom from back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsgkFTKSy40

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Brilliant musician. I always admired his playing, but wasn't exposed to it that much because I wasn't really into the bands he was in. I should probably revisit that music though. What would be the best early Deep Purple album to start with?
Most definitely one of the MKII line up albums. In Rock. Fireball and Machinehead are often cited as the best starting point........and for good reason. There is also some great drumming on Burn (MKIII)