I just doubled my snare count

Those "hammered" powder coated models are not my favorite, (in fact, none of the powder coated ones are) but you should be able to get a decent sound out of it, nonetheless. Let us know how it goes with the new heads and wires!

Those "hammered" powder coated models are not my favorite, (in fact, none of the powder coated ones are) but you should be able to get a decent sound out of it, nonetheless. Let us know how it goes with the new heads and wires!
Will do. I don’t worry so much about the different models, though. I’ll get it happening.

So it came today…

View attachment 145641

Ok, so it’s not perfect but it’s in good shape otherwise…except for the heads (vintage Amb/ancient shot Rocker) and the wires. Am not getting a good sound out of it, but I’ve got a regular set of Ambs and new Gibraltar wires coming. That should fix it. I’m sure the Rocker head isn’t helping but I don’t like the Vintage Amb either.

Also got an unusual set of hats on Saturday that will get their own thread shortly.
I'm sure it will be perfect after you're done restoring it... I'm happy for you Jimmy. Don't forget to let us know how it sounds after you're done. Keep on drummin'!

Last edited:
I like it. It has "some color" to it..

Nice!

I'm sad to hear it doesn't sound great right out of the box, but it sounds like you've already figured out what it needs.

In my experience a basic 1-ply batter (maybe with a reverse dot) helps maintain the open tone of an Acro. I personally prefer a clear Ambassador no collar snare side head on 5" deep Ludwig snares to get some extra room but a regular hazy Ambassador should work well too.

Some people swear by them, but I don't love mounting wires with string, and since your P-85 will accommodate tape/ribbon I'd go that route.

The last piece of the puzzle is letting the Acro sound like it wants to sound. Try to avoid wanting it to sound like your wood Ludwig!

Nice!

I'm sad to hear it doesn't sound great right out of the box, but it sounds like you've already figured out what it needs.

In my experience a basic 1-ply batter (maybe with a reverse dot) helps maintain the open tone of an Acro. I personally prefer a clear Ambassador no collar snare side head on 5" deep Ludwig snares to get some extra room but a regular hazy Ambassador should work well too.

Some people swear by them, but I don't love mounting wires with string, and since your P-85 will accommodate tape/ribbon I'd go that route.

The last piece of the puzzle is letting the Acro sound like it wants to sound. Try to avoid wanting it to sound like your wood Ludwig!
A good tip because I tend to want to do that.

maybe don't sound good right out of the box and you have to get used to .. Takes time sometimes (like always
for ears to learn/acclimate
I'd even get used to the heads and wires that came wth it (unless they're broke)
before final judgement which takes time
+/-

Last edited:
Enjoy your Acro, Jimmy!

Last Sunday at band rehearsal I brought my Acro and my DW Collector (which costed 2,5x as much). I preferred the Acro... (y)

When I bought mine it was all dusty and had worn out heads.
I cleaned it up, put new heads and snare wires on it and (apart from some marks on the logo) it looks new and sounds awesome.
Fantastic snare!

acro.jpg

Enjoy your Acro, Jimmy!

Last Sunday at band rehearsal I brought my Acro and my DW Collector (which costed 2,5x as much). I preferred the Acro... (y)

When I bought mine it was all dusty and had worn out heads.
I cleaned it up, put new heads and snare wires on it and (apart from some marks on the logo) it looks new and sounds awesome.
Fantastic snare!

View attachment 145645
Looks way better than mine ;)

Looks way better than mine ;)
I guess I also paid a bit more than yours ;)
Although I think it was worth it (€ 200 in 2013).
Acro's are not so very common over here in Tulip land.

I'm using Remo Reverse Dot/Ambassador combo on my Acro - sounds great. If the current snares are in good shape, just keep 'em. Have fun getting it dialed in.

Just wondering how does an Acro compared to a Superphonic as far as sound goes?

I'm using Remo Reverse Dot/Ambassador combo on my Acro - sounds great. If the current snares are in good shape, just keep 'em. Have fun getting it dialed in.
They’re not, unfortunately. They have several wires bent way out of shape.

Similar but the Acro has more midrange. There are some nifty comparisons of the two on YouTube.

Great question Dame. As Jimmy mentioned there are comparison clips on YouTube. I hope this clip from Nick Costa answers some of your questions. His channel is mostly about Ludwig snares. Please note that Jimmy's Acro is the 70's version and what Nick Costa is comparing are the snares from 60's version.

10 bowtie lugs at 2:21?

he says "10 bowties" when they're Imperials (even I know that

At 2:21 the guy is talking.

Last edited:
it's 10 Imperials not ^ not 10 bowties)

there's your difference
'tween an acro and supra= lug count and it's effect
what Chrome adds is second
imo

Last edited:
and probably why they don't make a 10L 5" Acro (do they?
too close to a Supra

the 8 lug makes more of the shell come thru (resonate) so you get more of the Diet Pepsi can..

O they do make a 10 lug Acro..

how about those bananas..
Sounds like a Supra? Yes no?
minus chrome

a more rounded sound weird
Glad I don't play Ludwig anymore

and probably why they don't make a 10L 5" Acro (do they?
too close to a Supra

the 8 lug makes more of the shell come thru (resonate) so you get more of the Diet Pepsi can..
They started making Acros with 10 lugs last year.

Back