I couldn’t help it. I missed THE sound.

congrats Bo, it’s not my favourite colour but they are beautiful drums ! I would be happy to listen to them. It’s not common for you to pick the matching snare drum, isn’t it? I really dig deep maple snare, really warm.
About audience perception, of course they don’t notice re-ring or not re-ring shells, but if your bass drum is aneamic, or your snare painful to their ears, they will know for sure.

You are absolutely right. Sometimes I just feel snarky when someone tells me about what I don't have. I've been doing this for a while now, and I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing. And you are right that nobody even cares what I'm playing when I'm in a dive bar. They care even less if the band sucks. However, what I did find out first hand, was that those vintage Yamaha's form the 60s could not keep up with the heavy beating. Because of the shell construction, they seemed to choke out quicker if you laid into them too much. I've also taken 1980s Exports to a gig only to have the lug inserts either strip out, or the lug pop off because the mounting screw cracked. So if I do the "very cheap and old" drum kits again, I'd have to really inspect the metal bits. When I stay with the pro-level stuff, I never seem to have any of those operational issues.

But it's nice to circle back to the brand I learned how to play on. There's a lot of nostalgia for me and Ludwig (along with Slingerland) and I figured "Hey, new decade, let's get some new drums, but go back home". I start playing these, close my eyes, and all of a sudden it's 1976 and I'm driving my family crazy with all the noise. I know you can't go back, but I miss those days :(

I agree with you completely (even down to the comments about the vintage Yamahas). I play with a vintage kit quite often, but I have updated all of the hardware, had the edges reworked, etc... That's the only way I would play a vintage kit on big gigs.

I'm glad you are back to playing Ludwigs again. They definitely have a SOUND that is all their own. Rock on!

Totally jealous. I've been itching to get a Classic Maple downbeat. Red sparkle though. Or maybe sky blue pearl.

I have the downbeats in red sparkle. Love them. What sold me on them was that the 14” floor tom thinks it’s a 16”. There’s just something about their 7-ply maple shells. Right now, I’m saving up for a 24, 13, 16, 18. Played one at Forks in Nashville, and it’s been haunting me forever.

If anyone is wanting to hear the differences between classic maple and the three ply with re-rings, The drum center of Portsmouth did a really great Ludwig drum shell shoot out on YouTube. It is worth the time to throw on some good headphones and watch that video. It’s very thorough, but it does not drone on and on the way some videos to.

congrats Bo, it’s not my favourite colour but they are beautiful drums ! I would be happy to listen to them. It’s not common for you to pick the matching snare drum, isn’t it? I really dig deep maple snare, really warm.
About audience perception, of course they don’t notice re-ring or not re-ring shells, but if your bass drum is aneamic, or your snare painful to their ears, they will know for sure.
My plan at first was to get back to a Supra, but this matching snare popped up at a Sam Ash in mint condition for an even cheaper price (they sell new for $500+). Ive never really tried a classic maple snare and figured Supras are all over the place used if I still want one.
Oddly enough, this wood snare sounds great. It’s got ring and depth, and a dynamic tuning range....it sorta behaves like a Supra. I’ll work with it more, but I usually jump to a coated emperor by now. It’s giving me what I need with a coated ambassador. Never had that happen before ?

I have the downbeats in red sparkle. Love them. What sold me on them was that the 14” floor tom thinks it’s a 16”. There’s just something about their 7-ply maple shells. Right now, I’m saving up for a 24, 13, 16, 18. Played one at Forks in Nashville, and it’s been haunting me forever.

If anyone is wanting to hear the differences between classic maple and the three ply with re-rings, The drum center of Portsmouth did a really great Ludwig drum shell shoot out on YouTube. It is worth the time to throw on some good headphones and watch that video. It’s very thorough, but it does not drone on and on the way some videos to.
I’ll have to find that video. I’ve never really noticed a huge difference with drums with rings. Heck, I played DW that have rings and I could never get those to sound good, either.

Those are beautiful drums, Bo!

There's something reassuring and comfortable about the Ludwig sound and every time I hear a well-tuned set of Ludwigs I think "yep, that's what I want a drum set to sound like."

Those are beautiful drums, Bo!

There's something reassuring and comfortable about the Ludwig sound and every time I hear a well-tuned set of Ludwigs I think "yep, that's what I want a drum set to sound like."
I guess I’m a child of the times. The big four were really all we had back in the early 70s, with Ludwig being the biggest since they were also supplying all the schools. This could’ve been very different if Pearl and Yamaha were the big ones back in the day. But even Ed Shaughnessy went back to Ludwig after he played Pearl in the 70s.

And I'm more of an 80s-90s child, which does explain my fondness for Pearl, even though I absolutely love Ludwig and I'm super glad I own the drums I have. They're such a joy to play. After I replaced all of the crap hardware that is... :ROFLMAO:

And I'm more of an 80s-90s child, which does explain my fondness for Pearl, even though I absolutely love Ludwig and I'm super glad I own the drums I have. They're such a joy to play. After I replaced all of the crap hardware that is... :ROFLMAO:
True. Tama came in with hardware you could jack a car up on and everybody copied, and Ludwig probably did it the worst after the Modular hardware phase died out. Even on this Ludwig kit I swapped out the floor tom legs for Pearl, and I installed Pearl tips and wing nuts on the spurs. All my hardware is somebody else’s. But the sound of the drums remain. Bermuda would probably argue with me, but the new Ludwig stuff is kinda ho-hum.

True. Tama came in with hardware you could jack a car up on and everybody copied, and Ludwig probably did it the worst after the Modular hardware phase died out. Even on this Ludwig kit I swapped out the floor tom legs for Pearl, and I installed Pearl tips and wing nuts on the spurs. All my hardware is somebody else’s. But the sound of the drums remain. Bermuda would probably argue with me, but the new Ludwig stuff is kinda ho-hum.

I feel like they’re making an effort with snares still. I love the 8” deep metal snares and the copperphonics. I just don’t get why they gave up on the supersensitive system. It might not be super-durable, but it really works well.

I feel like they’re making an effort with snares still. I love the 8” deep metal snares and the copperphonics. I just don’t get why they gave up on the supersensitive system. It might not be super-durable, but it really works well.
I agree. I did like the look of the Super Sensitive, but when I finally got to play with one, the amount of parts that could break was just scary. It’s not for the feint of heart, or guys who play in questionable venues where people and things can start flying about ?

And boom, just like that......for sale already!?
Perhaps. I’d like a Ludwig CM with a 14x22 bass drum. 16” deep is ok, and I’ll live with it, but if I can score a 14”, that’s what I’d like. The Ludwig hoops are so wide, a 16” deep bass drum borders close to my 18x22 Pearl, which will not fit through the door on my truck.

Beautiful looking kit Bo, how are liking the sound and build quality? Also do you prefer the tom on a snare stand vs a bass drum mount?

What could I POSSIBLY add after these replies? but I can't ride the next wave without echoing the responses to the color. Blue sparkle is my all time favorite wrap and ESPECIALLY! Ludwigs..they are simply jaw dropping. AND...AND....the 8x12 is thee right decision..not 9..not 10x12 etc etc..EIGHT X 12..if I didn't know better I'd say you ordered my dream kit. Play it proudly my friend. (8)x12.

Back