How do you move your hardware (to gigs)?

eric_B

Getting back to gigging, I was wondering how other drummers are moving their hardware.
Do you just throw the stands, hihat pedal and throne into a hardware case or trolley and call it a day, assuming it will be safe?
Or do you take extra care to prevent damage, like putting the throne seat (or even each stand) into a bag?

All my hardware fits into a 24x24x12 trap case.
I still have my Protection Racket trolley - unfortunately my puppy chew through one of the nylon handles a while ago ☹️

Do you just put everything in there or take extra care for protection?

The case can carry all my Crosstown hardware in the top tray, two bass pedals, throne and top in the section that would be carrying the snare drum. And the cymbal pocket on the side carries an extra set of heads and spare parts. The way it’s designed I don’t have to treat the hardware any particular way.

The case can carry all my Crosstown hardware in the top tray, two bass pedals, throne and top in the section that would be carrying the snare drum. And the cymbal pocket on the side carries an extra set of heads and spare parts. The way it’s designed I don’t have to treat the hardware any particular way.
OK, I see what you mean now - online searching over here in Europe doesn't come up with much searching for 'Trap cases'.

The trolley I own just zips open and then there is one big compartment to put the hardware in - although with 2 straps to keep it somewhat in place.
As the spikey bass drum tom mount goes there in as well, I used to put the throne seat into a DIY bag made of moving blankets, fearing it might get pierced during transport.

OK, I see what you mean now - online searching over here in Europe doesn't come up with much searching for 'Trap cases'.

The trolley I own just zips open and then there is one big compartment to put the hardware in - although with 2 straps to keep it somewhat in place.
As the spikey bass drum tom mount goes there in as well, I used to put the throne seat into a DIY bag made of moving blankets, fearing it might get pierced during transport.
Trap cases are kinda old school these days. They were very popular back in the 70s and prior. As hardware got bigger it was necessary to split the load because one big trap case would be too heavy for one person to lift. The Yamaha Crosstown hardware solved this for me and made the trap case viable again.

This Gravity bag. @Mr Farkle mentioned the shorter version in a thread and I thought the longer one would be perfect. It is. I don’t have to break anything down and all the stands have their own compartment. The throne base, floor tom legs, tom arms, stick bag, and pedal go in a separate suitcase which is the perfect size for my cart and for nothing to shift inside.

This is the load out for tonight.
In here are Yamaha Crosstown:
3x cymbal stands
Snare stand
Hihat Stand
Mic stand
For one of my other main gigging kits I also fit in a second snare stand and DW Ultralight cymbal stand.
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3103.jpeg

I use a rolling hardware bag. I pretty much just throw everything into the main compartment. None of my hardware is delicate so I really don't do anything special. Small things like floor tom legs and a spare hi hat clutch go into an outside pocket, but that's about it.

And where do you put your throne seats?

This is my PR bag. It does the job but if there are better solutions than I might prefer those.
I have the throne seat in the DIY bag and the bass drum tom mount wrapped in another moving blanket to prevent the spikes from causing damage.

IMG_5043.jpg

BTW: I own Tama Roadpro stands, hihatpedal, throne base, etc. Great gear but heavy.
The Yamaha Crosstown hardware Bo mentioned seems much better.
I think an entire set weighs as much as 1 Roadpro stand...

I've got a Tama hardware bag that I get all the stands, floor tom legs and tom hold in. I take the stool and pedal separately. I only use single brace stands which really keeps the weight down.

Any kind of hardware bag for stands is going to save a lot of trips to and from the car.

Have you looked at lightweight hardware, yamaha crosstown is the lightest, I use Tama Roadpro single brace. I can vouch that these are rock solid for gigging. I'm not too trusting of the flat based stuff.

A bit embarrassed to admit that I don't use a hardware bag, but mainly using my own car to gigs, and a lot of the time I use a bigger doublebass kit with 4-5 cymbal stands, several tom holders and bits, so if there is a hardware bag big enough for me, it would be quite a weight to it. Usually we are enough people to help out with carrying so I hardly need to take more than 2-3 trips myself. I never been in a situation yet when I thought this would be so much better with one very heavy hardware bag (had one earlier, ended up never using it) but I have not really dismissed the thought of it yet.

Last edited:
I've been using one of these for years, and I really like it. Look for a used one on Marketplace.

I used one of these for a solid 7-8 years as well. I bought mine used for $25.

You don't even have to tear down the hi-hat stand.

Also, check out the new Barton Bag as well. I don't think they have wheels, but they look nice. I have a set of Barton cases and love them, especially considering the price.

I have the Tama bag/case with wheels. Throne goes in there with everything else.
My bass pedal goes in a triangular bag, which then goes in with the hardware. My (small) stick bag goes in too. I’ll try and take a photo tomorrow…

Long strong vinyl Bag ( 2 cymbal , hihat, & snare stands- that's it ) and a Smaller short bag for smaller stuff (tom post mount, ft legs, bd pedal, stick bag

I use lightweight hardware for local gigs - old Ludwig 1400 cymbal stands, Yamaha Crosstown HH stand, etc. So size and weight-wise, it's not bad. About 15 years ago I started using a speaker stand bag from Sam Ash. I bought several to store extra stands and also as spares. I think I'm still using my original bag, although I recently had to turn it 'the other way' because the bottom finally wore through and floor tom legs started to poke out. :)

I would certainly buy again if/when needed. Of course if you're using med-heavy hardware, I would suggest a heavier-duty bag with wheels.

Here's the lighter bag:

TM®

My “regular” hardware is in a Gibraltar medium hardware bag that I have permanently strapped to a lightweight hand truck. I’m on my second bag and second hand truck but I’ve been using this for over 20 years. I don’t have to completely break down the hardware, but I do have to lower two cymbal stands a few inches to get them in the bag. A few years ago I bought the Tama Classic hardware set and mostly use that now except for outdoor gigs. I bought the Yamaha Crosstown set also. I have a thread comparing them here on the forum.

Back