Hardware count vs kits

I'm following this thread 'cuz I'm shocked at the amount of gear some of y'all have.

Besides two Tama Raodpro combo stands (tom + cymbal boom) which are in constant use, a Roadpro double tom stand is the only extra stand I have, and it's stashed in a bag somewhere.

For those with multiple kits, how does your hardware inventory compare?

I have 33 kits, and just for fun decided to see how the number of stands etc. fared against that number. Thankfully everything is in a database for easy counting. :)

40 snare stands

36 tom stands

60 cymbal stands

23 HH stands

43 pedals

19 thrones

Obviously I don't need/use anywhere near those totals, but it was interesting to see the disparity in the numbers vs kits, and each other. I think the large number of tom stands is due to some complete concert tom sets (most requiring 4 stands.) I really don't know why I would have acquired 19 thrones!
Wow Bermuda do you ever let people borrow your hardware? I use to let people borrow stuff but the lack of return nipped my altruism in the bud. Do you have a temperature controlled warehouse to store your kits and hardware. How many cymbals do you have? How many cameras do you have-I'm sure the older ones in your book are on film but more recent digital? Has Al ever requested a certain kit or set up? Has Al ever noodled on your drums? Has he ever let you play his accordion?
No this isn't an interview for Modern Drummer ROFL.

Last edited:
Let's see:
2 kits with matching snare drums and bass drum mounted toms
2 other snare drums
2 octobans/rocket toms/pringles cans

3 hi-hat stands
5 straight stands, 2 of those are in working condition
1 tom stand
2 thrones
4 boom stands
3 Snare drum stands
3 mutliclamps
maybe 7-8 cymbals clamps of different kinds

About 23 cymbals, about 12 of them are somewhat regularly played.

3 kits here. 4 if we count an eKit.

For me, a full set of hardware is what I usually use for a gig. That is: 1x hihat, 1x snare stand, 1x kick pedal, 1x tom mount, 3x cymbal stands, floor tom legs, and 1x throne. I have three sets. One at home. One at a rehearsal space. One always packed in a rolling hardware case for gigs..

i used to have a lot more hardware. Nothing like Bermuda, but definitely way more stands, pedals, clamps, extenders, stackers, cable hihats, etc., than I ever needed. I unloaded most of it in a purge a few years ago.

I still have three large Rubbermaid totes packed with extra boom arms, tom and percussion mounts, clamps, rims, etc. Those, plus some extra tripod bases to build stands from, are currently out-of-sight out-of-mind in our storage lock up.

I have two electronic drum sets (Yamaha DTX 900 & DTX 500) and a Yamaha DTXMulti 12. I also have two acoustic sets: Gretsch Brooklyn Micro and Yamaha Live Custom (5 piece) with two bass drums (20"X15" and 22"X14"). The DTX 900 is set up in my studio with 7 tom pads and two kick pads. It has all the required hardware along with an extra acoustic snare drum and stand for practicing with brushes. One Live Custom bass drum, along with three snare drums (two set up as toms: 10" & 13 inch snares), along with three cymbals, hihat etc are set up in my studio as a practice set. In my office I have the DTXMulti 12 with a snare, two cymbals and hihat (all electronic with stands) for practicing upstairs when my wife is downstairs where the studio is located.

I have a rack for the DTX 500 ready to go for gigs but has been rarely used. I have the Yamaha Crosstown (lightweight) hardware set with four cymbal stands, hi-hat stand, two snare drum stands, ready to go with my PA and Brooklyn Micro for gigging. I typically use the Brooklyn Micro but when I do use the Live Custom, I have a small bag with the additional Live Custom hardware ready to go and swap it with the Gretsch specific hardware. The Gretsch Brooklyn Micro and Yamaha Live Custom (except the 20 inch bass drum) are always in bags ready to go for gigs.

I also have a checklist that I use for every gig and it has more than once saved me.

As an aside, I carry a toolbox with all the small parts (stick bag, shakers, extra drum key, dampeners, glasses, spare parts, spare snare & bass drum mic etc) that is flat n the ends so I can use it as a stand to hold shakers etc. It is always ready to go as well.

I am way to busy to tear down a drum set for gigs and set back up for practice.

I have there complete kits and 1 extra snare. Also three complete sets of Hardware. Each Kit is for different styles of Music. Hard rock for the Superstar Birch, Rock , Jazz rock and Pop for the Starclassic WB, and Soul and Swing for the superstar classic Maple Fusion size kit.

4 kits, gig all 4 at times. I make sure that my throne, pedal/stick bag, cymbals and hardware ( hi-hat, snare stand, tom Legs and bass drum mount) are always in my SUV. I have an extra cymbal stand in there as well. That way I only have to worry about making sure I have whichever snare and matching kit pieces to load into my SUV. I use the same Yamaha 700 hardware for each kit.

Well, I've got three kits - two for performance and one with mesh heads for practice at home. Each has a means for mounting the rack tom. One snare stand, one pedal, and one hi-hat stand stays with the practice kit.

Other than that, I've got two cymbal stands, three cymbal arms, one snare stand, one pedal, and one hi-hat that are ready to go with the two player kits. One set of hardware, basically, and two kits for playing out.

It’s hard to list but I have hardware for 4 of my 5 kits, Rogers is the only interchangeable because I have two kits.

My Octaplus I have a full range of hardware all Hercules, same for Pearl, all Gyro lock series, demon drive pedal and HH1050 and more accessories, still need Gyro lock snare stand, my Rogers I would like to get a time specific hi hat stand and one swan leg cymbal stand, and snare stand, (I have 2 swivo tilting cymbal holders, and 1 knurled L-Rod cymbal holder, swivo bass pedal), I recently acquired a cocktail pedal for my outfit.

For my Signias no hardware to speak of only bass drum tom mount, but I may be soon tracking Premier hardware down.

Oh and I have 2 Pacific boom and 1 snare stand.

Kits
#1 - Tempus FG - 10/12/15ft/18ft/22x16
#2 - Tempus FG - 12/15ft/18x14
#3 - Yamaha 8000 - 12/16ft/22x16
#4 - Noonan Mahogany/Poplar Nesting - 10/14ft/18x14

Hardware (Depending on setup, venue load-in)
Yamaha 900 Double Braced (Kit #1 as 6pce)
Yamaha 700 Single Braced (Kit #1 as 4pce, #2, #3)
Yamaha Crosstown (Kit #3, #4)

Yamaha Tom mounts on all toms
Pearl LB40 FT mounts on Tempus/Noonan kits
helps a lot.

Mick

Last edited:
4 drum kits: One set up at practice space, one set up at home, two in the cases ready to go.

4 full sets of hardware. One set up at practice space, one set up at home, and two in the cases ready to go.

My two sets of hardware are one set of DW 3000 and another set of Gibraltar flat-base. I use the DW 3000 when I don't know what I'm getting into, and I use the flat-base in more controlled environments.

Every set of hardware works for every set of drums. They are all interchangeable.

2 kits (a modern double bass kit and a vintage groove kit)
4 snares (trying to cut back to two)
1 cymbal set (with a ride for each kit)
1 rack system
1 stands system
2 nitro thrones
1 stick bag with different sticks, brushes, mallets, shakers, sizzles, and beaters)

All I need so far.

I've got a couple of sets of hardware. The double braced stuff served me very well for 15 years but barring a snare stand for mounting a tom and one cymbals stand it's been put in the loft.

I just use the Tama Roadpro single braced set (with a Premier double braced stand). Mapex bass drum tom mount fits nicely in the hardware bag.

Wow Bermuda do you ever let people borrow your hardware? ... Do you have a temperature controlled warehouse to store your kits and hardware. How many cymbals do you have? How many cameras do you have-I'm sure the older ones in your book are on film but more recent digital? Has Al ever requested a certain kit or set up? Has Al ever noodled on your drums? Has he ever let you play his accordion?

Only close friends, but it's rare.

Yes.

1,028 (I sold some recently)

Probably a dozen cameras.

No, no, yes!

For those with multiple kits, how does your hardware inventory compare?

I have 33 kits, and just for fun decided to see how the number of stands etc. fared against that number. Thankfully everything is in a database for easy counting. :)

40 snare stands

36 tom stands

60 cymbal stands

23 HH stands

43 pedals

19 thrones

Obviously I don't need/use anywhere near those totals, but it was interesting to see the disparity in the numbers vs kits, and each other. I think the large number of tom stands is due to some complete concert tom sets (most requiring 4 stands.) I really don't know why I would have acquired 19 thrones!
Wow Bermuda, that's some collection. Do you have your 33 drum kits setup or on display somewhere?

I'm still shocked at...
"33 Kits"
Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

I have one drum set, about a half dozen cymbal stands, three snare stands and two high hat stands. Still think I have too much stuff.

Do you have your 33 drum kits setup or on display somewhere?
No, they're stored (2 locations), or at home for normal use. I have 5 or 6 full kits at friends/relatives/rehearsal places.

So I guess the proper answer to GetAgrippa's question "do you ever let people borrow your hardware?" is that some kits are on loan, but on my terms. Meaning that a friend or relative said 'my son wants to take drum lessons...' and I send them a kit. :)

No, they're stored (2 locations), or at home for normal use. I have 5 or 6 full kits at friends/relatives/rehearsal places.

So I guess the proper answer to GetAgrippa's question "do you ever let people borrow your hardware?" is that some kits are on loan, but on my terms. Meaning that a friend or relative said 'my son wants to take drum lessons...' and I send them a kit. :)
If you don't mind me asking... how many of your kits have custom wraps or are custom made according to your specs?

Back