Gretsch Brooklyn VS. Ludwig Classic Maple

Single biggest failures Gretsch made when limiting the line to sizes and finishes. My kit doesn't match anything on their site at this point, size or finish. Hope they go back to being able to custom order, because tone wise, they are different than the other USA lines. Not like the Brooklyns were competing with Broadkaster or USA Custom....
Did they tell you they wouldn't accommodate you? I've never had the balls to call them myself because they might call my bluff and actually expect me to order a drum set, for which I will probably never be able to afford again. haha

Did they tell you they wouldn't accommodate you? I've never had the balls to call them myself because they might call my bluff and actually expect me to order a drum set, for which I will probably never be able to afford again. haha
I probably need to call to verify. I was toying with the idea of a second rack tom for a while. Not sure where I read it, but it was an official release saying something to the fact that they were only building drums according to the size and colors listed on the line. This was just after COVID, so things may have changed.

Can’t see why they wouldn’t, since some of us have non standard sizes and colors they built.

Looking for a mid/mid high kit to make a feeble attempt to keep middle age at bay.

If you were going to play a bunch of REM, Decemberists, Smiths, Shins type Alternative types of music, would you pick the Ludwig Classic Maple or the Gretsch Brooklyn?

Probably 22, 13, 16 sizes.
Sully,
Have you seen this yet?

Note from the video's poster says...

This is not a "which is better"-comparison between my two sets...they are both phanomenal and really great drum kits. I tuned them slightly different to get the characters of both kits best displayed. The Ludwig is tuned a little bit deeper and more thunderous, the gretsch a little more open and singing. Same Mics, same room, same light processing through logic.Drumsizes are 24x14, 13x9, 16x16Heads are Remo Emperor on both Bass Drums (Reso Ludwig is Clear Ambassador, and Coated Ambassador on Gretsch),Gretsch Toms Emperor Coated, Ludwig Toms are Coated Remo Vintage Emperors, Snare Drum is a Ludwig Black Beauty 14"x6,5" Emperor DotX.Overheads are AKG C214 Bassdrum is a AKG D12VR and a C214, Snare Top & bottom Shure SM 57 and Toms are Sennheiser e604 Clips Mics and Room is a budget ribbon lollipop mic.

I think Shane from Drum Center said, He thinks of the Brooklyn as a Gretsch wearing a Ludwig Jersey. I'm thinking he must be referring to mid-seventies Ludwigs, both being 6-ply Maple Poplar. Just my thought on his comment, but I know ZERO about Ludwig drums.
I agree that Brooklyn's sound very similar to the Maple/Poplar Ludwigs. I had a set of the Ludwig Super Classics and punchy is how I'd describe em. I've played a set of Brooklyn's and they've got a rounded punch to them with less of the Gretsch twang than the Gretsch USAs.

Never owned a set of Gretsch 🇺🇸 USA customs but over the last 30 years I've heard some miked and unmiked in local clubs that have left a.....30 year impression on my drumming memory.

Sully,
Have you seen this yet?

This is not a "which is better"-comparison between my two sets...they are both phanomenal and really great drum kits. I tuned them slightly different to get the characters of both kits best displayed. The Ludwig is tuned a little bit deeper and more thunderous, the gretsch a little more open and singing. Same Mics, same room, same light processing through logic.Drumsizes are 24x14, 13x9, 16x16Heads are Remo Emperor on both Bass Drums (Reso Ludwig is Clear Ambassador, and Coated Ambassador on Gretsch),Gretsch Toms Emperor Coated, Ludwig Toms are Coated Remo Vintage Emperors, Snare Drum is a Ludwig Black Beauty 14"x6,5" Emperor DotX.Overheads are AKG C214 Bassdrum is a AKG D12VR and a C214, Snare Top & bottom Shure SM 57 and Toms are Sennheiser e604 Clips Mics and Room is a budget ribbon lollipop mic.
Hey!
Thanks for posting. I had not seen it. Great comparison. I wonder how much head choice had to do with the sound. I am not sure which I liked better. They both sound awesome.

Hey!
Thanks for posting. I had not seen it. Great comparison. I wonder how much head choice had to do with the sound. I am not sure which I liked better. They both sound awesome.
I think the OP's comment on setting both kits up differently was an attempt to emphasize those sonic qualities that are particular to each of those kits.
I agree, they both sound awsome, but I will stand by my earlier comment that I think you'll be better served with the Gretsch kit.
However, it's your money, spend it how you please. Overall, there really isn't a wrong answer here.

Sully,
Have you seen this yet?

The Ludwig sound much brighter and more attack to me.

To my ears, when it comes to modern-made drums, there's Gretsch, there's Ludwig, and there's everything else.

I love Classic Maple, so I'd go for that: 22x14, 13x9, 16x16

I'd say go play both, and let the drums choose you.

Back