Gretsch Brooklyn VS. Ludwig Classic Maple

Sully151

Looking for a mid/mid high kit to make a feeble attempt to keep middle age at bay.

If you were going to play a bunch of REM, Decemberists, Smiths, Shins type Alternative types of music, would you pick the Ludwig Classic Maple or the Gretsch Brooklyn?

Probably 22, 13, 16 sizes.

I am a Ludwig owner, so I guess we know what I'd get. 😉 I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, though. Pick the one that agrees with your sense of aesthetics and smile.

Go Ludwig Classics all the way great drums pure joy nothing against the Brooklyn thats me.

I have owned and enjoyed both. The Brooklyns give a slightly more vintage sound than the Classic Maples, but it's a pretty small difference. I will say the Ludwigs were lighter than my Brooklyns which made a difference when gigging.

If I had to choose, I'd probably say the Ludwigs just because I got tired of the additional weight of the Brooklyns.

I wish I could help. But for early R.E.M., you definitely want some nice, quick, crisp hi-hat cymbals, and a killer snare.

"Gretsch? them's Old Man drums!"
"Weight? That weight saves you going to a Gym"
"Looks? Them Gretsch look just like they did in 1966!"
~~~
end of joking

20/12/14 may last you longer into err 'middle age ; )
Some pretty Gretsch Brooklyns in 20/12/14 from the Good Hands shop in NYC
(nitro celluose finishes) bring wheelbarrow of cash..

Last edited:
Looking for a mid/mid high kit to make a feeble attempt to keep middle age at bay.

If you were going to play a bunch of REM, Decemberists, Smiths, Shins type Alternative types of music, would you pick the Ludwig Classic Maple or the Gretsch Brooklyn?

Probably 22, 13, 16 sizes.
The Brooklyn series answers the question, "What if I took a Ludwig shell blank and sent it to Gretsch to be made into a drum?"
The Classic Maple will have a more vibrant, colourful sound, possibly with some added projection, but the Gretsch will give you more of that "vintagey vibe".
Between the two, I'd probably go with the Gretsch, while keeping an eye on any sales of Ludwig Legacy drums.
I know Bill Berry was deep into vintage Ludwig, so there's that, too.

Last edited:
FWIW, although I don't have much experience with Gretsch or wood Ludwig drum sets, I think I'm partial to 12" and 14" toms. I think you get more punch from the smaller toms, which could be good for the kind of music you are targeting. You could tune the bigger toms higher, but I think the smaller toms usually sound better at those pitches. Of course, just ignore me and get what you want haha.

The Brooklyn series answers the question, "What if I took a Ludwig shell blank and sent it to Gretsch to be made into a drum?"
The Classic Maple will have a more vibrant, colourful sound, possibly with some added projection, but the Gretsch will give you more of that "vintagey vibe".
Between the two, I'd probably go with the Gretsch, while keeping an eye on any sales of Ludwig Legacy drums.
I know Bill Berry was deep into vintage Ludwig, so there's that, too.

I think Shane from Drum Center said, He thinks of the Brooklyn as a Gretsch wearing a Ludwig Jersey. I'm thinking he must be referring to mid-seventies Ludwigs, both being 6-ply Maple Poplar. Just my thought on his comment, but I know ZERO about Ludwig drums.

Well Ludwig had “Classic” in the name. Gretsch has “Brooklyn” in name. The Classic is maple and Brooklyn maple- poplar. The former has 45 degree bearing edges and later 30 degrees. So one is more poplar and the other more classy. Good luck

I’d have a hard time choosing a finish on the Brooklyns, none of them jump out at me, and I don’t like matte finishes. So given the the two are pretty much equal in all other manners, I’d go Classic Maple.

I’d have a hard time choosing a finish on the Brooklyns, none of them jump out at me, and I don’t like matte finishes. So given the the two are pretty much equal in all other manners, I’d go Classic Maple.
Single biggest failures Gretsch made when limiting the line to sizes and finishes. My kit doesn't match anything on their site at this point, size or finish. Hope they go back to being able to custom order, because tone wise, they are different than the other USA lines. Not like the Brooklyns were competing with Broadkaster or USA Custom....

14 finishes in Brooklyn and I've seen them in a finish from the USAC and BK lines (So anything that's in the factory) could be be special ordered spec'ed; not trying to sell them just saying
"as all three are built in the same barn ; )

14 finishes in Brooklyn and I've seen them in a finish from the USAC and BK lines (So anything that's in the factory) could be be special ordered spec'ed; not trying to sell them just saying
"as all three are built in the same barn ; )
I heard they were t doing that anymore, but haven't verified. My drums are not in the Brooklyn finishes, but in the other two lines.

Reactions: jda
Back