Gretsch Brooklyn VS. Ludwig Classic Maple

Single biggest failures Gretsch made when limiting the line to sizes and finishes. My kit doesn't match anything on their site at this point, size or finish. Hope they go back to being able to custom order, because tone wise, they are different than the other USA lines. Not like the Brooklyns were competing with Broadkaster or USA Custom....
Yeah the finish on my Brooklyn kit is possibly my least favorite finish ever made; by anyone. I do love the way they sound and feel though, so I ordered add on drums.

That brings up another point. If you have to order be aware that Gretsch is glacially slow. I ordered a floor tom in November 2022 and it's supposed to be here later this month. I think Ludwig has a much quicker turnaround.

All that being said, If I had to do it over (even if I had to order and wait) I would pick the Brooklyn again.

I like SONOR drums but their finishes have gotten old to me . TAMA has some nice finishes I’ve noticed on their birch/walnut line. That’s why I like black kits then I focus on other things besides finish. I get over the finish pretty quick.

Well Ludwig had “Classic” in the name. Gretsch has “Brooklyn” in name. The Classic is maple and Brooklyn maple- poplar. The former has 45 degree bearing edges and later 30 degrees. So one is more poplar and the other more classy. Good luck
I believe you can now order the Classic Maples with a 30 degree edge.

To me Brooklyn is a bit like a 6-ply Ludwig Classic, while the Classic Maple is one of the brightest generic maple kits out there. From Modern Drummer samples they sound virtually indistinguishable, though. Maybe the Classic Maple somehow sounds like the 6-ply Classics.
One plus of the Classic Maple is its highly customisable configuration, both in sizes and finishes.
I believe you can now order the Classic Maples with a 30 degree edge.
No, you can't. You could do a full roundover, though.

To me Brooklyn is a bit like a 6-ply Ludwig Classic, while the Classic Maple is one of the brightest generic maple kits out there. From Modern Drummer samples they sound virtually indistinguishable, though. Maybe the Classic Maple somehow sounds like the 6-ply Classics.
One plus of the Classic Maple is its highly customisable configuration, both in sizes and finishes.

No, you can't. You could do a full roundover, though.
Sorry, I meant a roundover. Either way, it makes the original point moot.

"Gretsch? them's Old Man drums!"
"Weight? That weight saves you going to a Gym"
"Looks? Them Gretsch look just like they did in 1966!"
20/12/14 may last you longer into err 'middle age ; )
Some pretty Gretsch Brooklyns in 20/12/14 from the Good Hands shop in NYC
(nitro celluose finishes) bring wheelbarrow of cash..
I am curious as to why you say all of this regarding Gretsch being old man drums and the sizes.

I think Shane from Drum Center said, He thinks of the Brooklyn as a Gretsch wearing a Ludwig Jersey. I'm thinking he must be referring to mid-seventies Ludwigs, both being 6-ply Maple Poplar. Just my thought on his comment, but I know ZERO about Ludwig drums.
It's a comment on the layup of the shells.
Ludwig, traditionally, is a Maple/Poplar layup.
Gretsch uses a Maple/GUM layup.
Different fillers, different sounds.
The Brooklyn is a Gretsch drum and thus, it is made like a Gretsch drum, however, it uses a Maple/Poplar shell, like the Ludwig.
Hope that clears everything up.

I am curious as to why you say all of this regarding Gretsch being old man drums and the sizes.
It was a Joke my friend it was a Joke

Regarding the sizes that's a little different,
when you do casuals and freelance later in life - just a suggestion, a 22 can get to be a bit much to 'heft around +/-

Last edited:
These are both great kits. I'd go Gretsch because I prefer their hardware. Close call though, You really can't go wrong either way.
I lean towards Ludwig myself, having had a Ludwig kit on some form for most of my life. They just seem more “working man” to me and the fact that parts seem more readily available everywhere you look (not that you need them).

Or maybe I’m not that big a fan of Gretsch because they never get their bass drum logo close to the edge of their bass drum head like Ludwig does 😉

Both sound fantastic! Assuming you like both equally sound-wise, then I'd go with the finish I like best and the fastest turnaround time. That would be Ludwig for me. And Ludwig offers all kinds of options (mounts, bearing edges, spurs, etc.). My CM kit is my favorite.

I own both Gretsch (USA Custom) and Ludwig (Classic Maple ) kits . I have no interest in the Brooklyn kits , I love the USA Custom and Broadkaster drums though . If I had to choose between my Gretsch or Ludwig kits it would be a very difficult decision . Both manufacturers are making excellent drums these days . The fact that you can get exotic veneers on the Ludwig Classic Maples like Birdseye would make me lean towards Ludwig slightly . If it was all the same finishes and based solely on sound , then Gretsch would be my choice .

If you have alot of time on your hands...like maybe 7 to 8 years don't forget about Sonor phonics. I've set up Ludwig kits my whole life and when I went Premier just for a change they sounded....just like Ludwigs...cause they were built SO similar. Anyway..my Gretsch renowns were another I need a change from Ludwig. I was bored.

Looking for a mid/mid high kit to make a feeble attempt to keep middle age at bay.

If you were going to play a bunch of REM, Decemberists, Smiths, Shins type Alternative types of music, would you pick the Ludwig Classic Maple or the Gretsch Brooklyn?

Probably 22, 13, 16 sizes.
I just saw these on Reverb. Great deal if you ask me.

I just saw these on Reverb. Great deal if you ask me.

Thanks! Too bad I am in CA. And the kit is in PA. They won’t ship, and I want to see a used kit if I buy.

It is a good deal though. Thanks for looking out!

Back