Favourite Drummer, Bass player Combo

Second that. Found this clip of Bruford - Levin showing how great they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPQkIaQEgI

It does however bring up a few questions:

1. Why does Bruford get up out of the seat and spin around every few minutes without hitting anything? Did Levin make him change his mind at the last second?

2. Where does Levin get those tiny drumsticks he tapes to his fingers?

3. Does Bruford own the record for most Simmons pads ever used at one time? Did he own stock in the company? ( I say yes.)

i also agree on Bruford-Levin and to attempt some answers.

1. options: A- Weird guys doing werid things or..B- see question 3 (he probably just gets up to look around and just be like hah this is ridiculous how many of these things i have!)

2. He made them, think called funk fingers?

3. more than likely.

someone mentioned gadd and anthony jackson. they played together on gaucho, anyone know of any other recordings featuring those two? the gaucho stuff is just incredible.

someone mentioned gadd and anthony jackson. they played together on gaucho, anyone know of any other recordings featuring those two? the gaucho stuff is just incredible.

Yes. On Al DiMeolas' live recording "Tour De Force Live." Try and find a copy. You'll like it.

Gotta mention...

Cliff Davies and Rob Grange (The Nuges' boys from the 70's)

Probably the 1st combo I liked...circa ' 75/' 76.

;-)

Another vote for Bruford/Levin. Absolutely matchless.

Robert Fripp said his rhythm section of Bruford and Wetton was the most monstrous he ever saw, and he saw them ALL!

Among my favorites (all of them are great), I'll also go with:

Cobham/Laird - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Walden/Johnson - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Jaco and Tony Williams on Trio of Doom
Clarke/White - Return to Forever
Lake/Palmer - Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Copeland/Sting - Police
Lee/Peart - Rush
Myung/Portnoy - Dream Theater

And for the 4/4 folks out there...

McCartney/Starr (no one can duplicate that style)
Bonham/Jones (intro into power drumming)
Baker/Bruce (great rock AND jazz)
Ox and Moonie (utterly unique in rock)

There are SO many more...

John Enwhistle/Keith Moon
there is no combo here, thats the beauty. Enwhistle's thunder fingers lay the foundation which gives freedom for moon to play along Townshend

absolutely different from all others, never dared to copy by any other bands in history, to this day.

One classic pairing that everyone seems to have forgotten is Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce from Cream!

Rhythm sections for The Who, Beatles, Chilli Peppers, Led Zep are givens in rock. And Stewie and Sting, of course.

Add another vote for Bill Bruford and Tony Levin, especially on Discipline.

Plus Bill Bruford, John Wetton and Jamie Muir (percussion) on Larks Tongues in Aspic and

Bill with Jeff Berlin on the Feels Good to Me album.

Michael Giles and Greg Lake on Crimson's first album.

Pierre Moerlen and Mike Howlett on Gong's Shamal .

Jaco and almost anyone, be it Peter Erskine, Don Alias or whomever. Everyone sounded great with Jaco. More jazz: Airto and Stanley Clark on Chick's first album - beautiful, airy, dextrous feel.

Phil Collins and Percy Jones with Brand X.

Chris Franz and Chistine Weymouth. They were married in every sense :)

Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding. Noel held it together while Mitch went crazy with Jimi.

Last edited:
defintely carter beauford / stefan lessard!!!!
and Phill Rudd/Clift Williams

Les Claypool and Tim Alexander

Saw this thread title, thought this, searched for the first person to say it so I could quote them.

I don't think any of the drummers claypool played with had whatever the hell it is Herb has, that guy is just something else. Easy to play but so damn hard to write anything that creative that fits that well into the music. Hope my composition can embody that one day.

That said brain is pretty kickass too.

John Enwhistle/Keith Moon
there is no combo here, thats the beauty. Enwhistle's thunder fingers lay the foundation which gives freedom for moon to play along Townshend

absolutely different from all others, never dared to copy by any other bands in history, to this day.

I do that, but that's because my bassist sweeps arpeggios all day long so I just run with the guitarist.

Not nearly as well though, don't get me wrong.

All the great ones have already been mentioned but since i'm from Michigan I also have to mention:

Don Brewer & Mel Schacher-Grand Funk Railroad

Charlie Martin & Chris Campbell-Bob Segar & The Silver Bullet Band.

Bonzolead

Stanley Clarke / Tony Williams

As Chessy as it may sound but I have to say Ross Valory & Steve Smith from Journey,

and not so Chessy Tommy Shannon & Chris Layton from Stevie Ray Vaughn

Bonzolead

Back