Ever changed something about the positioning of your kit after playing someone else's?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I've played a lot of different drum sets, and I'm sure you have too. While I'm sure that the basics are there, each kit is just a little bit different from the next in terms of how its set up. I remember playing someone's kit one time, and I REALLY liked the way that he had positioned the hi-hats. At the time, I had only been playing a few years, and I noticed that his hats were set up at about the 10:30 position in reference to the snare as opposed to the 9:00 position that I was used to playing. Also, his hats were a little closer to the snare, so not only were the hats closer and much easier to reach, the pedals felt more natural in their position. I didn't have to cross my arms as severely either to reach the hats. Ever since that day, I've positioned my hats in the same way.

Have you ever played someone else's kit and really liked the way a certain drum, cymbal, stand, etc. is positioned, so much so that you changed it on your kit as well?

No but I remember this kid who had a very cool set, and every time I saw him he had it setup differently. I told him that while it looked cool, it was hindering his ability to improve, (because he basically had to get used to the new setup every time), he stop doing it after that. I think that drummers specially as we get older need to be conscious of ergonomics more than looks, injuries can creep on you from seemingly innocent things (having to reach too high to hit a cymbal... Yes I am talking to you Mike Manginni).

I played somebody’s 4 piece kit, and thought that having the ride in front of me, where the 2nd tom on my kit would be, was an amazing feeling. I’ve played a 4 piece ever since.
I can't count how many times I've read this. I'm going to a 4 piece and I sat in on a kit just like you described thinking I was going to be in love with the ride placement. I still had to have mine where Porcaro placed his but on a 4 piece it's just not as cool so I'm going to get use to it. Also my new 24 ride doesn't look as cool as a 20 on a 4 piece. I'm in a predicament.

This isn't exactly the same thing, but now that I'm in a tribute band I've worked really hard to match the physical placement of my drums and cymbals to more closely match the drummer I'm pretending to be. Doing that has in many cases helped me play fills more accurately and/or make them feel more natural, since the parts I'm playing were originally played on that particular set up.

I can't count how many times I've read this. I'm going to a 4 piece and I sat in on a kit just like you described thinking I was going to be in love with the ride placement. I still had to have mine where Porcaro placed his but on a 4 piece it's just not as cool so I'm going to get use to it. Also my new 24 ride doesn't look as cool as a 20 on a 4 piece. I'm in a predicament.

Bonham played a 24" ride with his 1-up kit and I think it looked great. Maybe it has more to do with how big the tom is than the size of the ride. I can see where a 12" tom might look out of balance with a ride twice its size, but once you go to a 13, 14, or even 15" tom it will look a lot more balanced.

This isn't exactly the same thing, but now that I'm in a tribute band I've worked really hard to match the physical placement of my drums and cymbals to more closely match the drummer I'm pretending to be. Doing that has in many cases helped me play fills more accurately and/or make them feel more natural, since the parts I'm playing were originally played on that particular set up.
What band and what drummer ?

Back in the days I always wondered why people place their toms on separate stands next to the bass drum - until I once played such a setup. My mind was blown by the realization that the bass drum is not the center of the drum set but just one instrument I'm working with my right foot. Ride cymbal went straight over the bass drum, too. Never used any bass drum mounted toms from then on, apart from some backline kits I had to use on some festivals, which now feel pretty awkward to me.

Never. Every time I sit down at someone’s kit I feel like I’m having one of my drumming nightmares in which the drums fall apart or I can’t find any sticks (or they’re as big as baseball bats) or they go right through the heads. #triggered

I don't think I've changed my setup after playing someone else's. If anything, I wanna give my set a hug because it's so comfortable at this point.

Never. Every time I sit down at someone’s kit I feel like I’m having one of my drumming nightmares in which the drums fall apart or I can’t find any sticks (or they’re as big as baseball bats) or they go right through the heads. #triggered
Same. Especially when the pedal(s) feel completely different from mine.

I sat on a house kit at a jam where the drummer sat much lower than me. If felt ok, but when I saw a pic online someone had taken, I was sitting up much straighter. I tried lowering my throne, but after a couple days practicing, my back was killing me. Interestingly, a drummer friend of mine, who is the same height as me, used the same kit and complained he had trouble playing because the throne was so high. His roc-n-soc is almost as low as it will go.

Page 42 into page 43

George Benson speaks of a mentor of mine for 30 years.
(we both played the same set up - 20 12 14 G but his cymbals were left hand lead backwards to mine- so I was influenced by him (Spider Rondinelli) other ways he would let me sit in every gig I went to of his
30 years.
See what George Benson recalls of him. Page 42 and 43 above.

Last edited:
My mind was blown by the realization that the bass drum is not the center of the drum set but just one instrument I'm working with my right foot.

I concur. It feels uncomfortable to me to have the BD pedal directly in front. I can't imagine walking with your right foot directly in line with your navel while your left leg is turned to the 10 o'clock position.
Maybe some people walk that way I don't know...

When I had a monster rig, Neil Peart's Test for Echo was my go-to.
When I downsized, Pat Torpey from Mr. Big is my current (and probably forever) set up. Everything just works.

I've pilfered all kinds of ideas from others' setups. I always check out drumsets for that reason. It could be a cymbal or cowbell in an unusual place--perfect!

Dan

Back