Finally! My First Final Phil Collins tribute kit

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'm pretty excited about my newest project and wanted to share.

I've been a huge Phil Collins fan for well over 30 years, but I've never really put too much though into actually having a kit like Phil's. But this year I finally decided to go ahead and put together a set like his.

I know Phil never played a full Ludwig kit, but I've always loved their drums and decided that would be my own spin on the project. That Ludwig concert toms are plentiful also helped convince me. But with that detail I suppose it isn't really a replica kit as much as a tribute kit. No matter, it's a blast to play.

Even though his setup didn't change too much from 1981 on, I decided (at least for now) to try to replicate the specific kit he used in 1981 on his first solo album Face Value, and the Genesis albums Abacab and Three Sides Live. It really just boils down to cymbal placement, but having that big swish right up front is a lot of fun!

Compared to what I was replicating:

jimzo

Good on you ! Must feel good to put it all together. I had recently completed my John Bonham replica Green Sparkle kit w/extras, and now have finished my 6pc. Big Beat Smoke Vistalites, several weeks back. Time to practice!

Looking forward to hear some of your Phil-isophical Phil-ins ;-)

D

drumming sort of person

The only problem with Phil's setup is the fact that you need to have the hi-hats setup very low in order for the concert toms to clear them. As a result, you need to have the snare setup very low too, and I just can't come to grips with it. I tried, believe me...

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
The only problem with Phil's setup is the fact that you need to have the hi-hats setup very low in order for the concert toms to clear them. As a result, you need to have the snare setup very low too, and I just can't come to grips with it. I tried, believe me...
That has taken me some time getting used to as well. Having the snare angled a lot like he does helps create a *little* extra room, but it takes practice.

There are some aspects to his playing, namely the way he throws in some two handed broken 16th note hi hat patterns that are a LOT easier to play with them so low.

Bonzodownunder

He used the same type of kit/set up but PEARL when he played with RP (Robert Plant) during his 'Pictures of eleven" album&tour,
There's a excellent website where someone actually has Phil's old RP &pre -RP PEARL kit!.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
He used the same type of kit/set up but PEARL when he played with RP (Robert Plant) during his 'Pictures of eleven" album&tour,
There's a excellent website where someone actually has Phil's old RP &pre -RP PEARL kit!.
YES! Same set up and same sizes, just natural birch Pearl. I love that set too, and my original plan was to go in that direction, but the black concert toms were an unexpected find that I couldn't pass up, so that's what I ended up going with.

I have another set of Ludwig concert toms that are Chrome-O-Wood but I learned the hard way that that wrap just won't come off...Ludwig used about a quart of glue per drum putting that wrap on. :(

D

drumming sort of person

That has taken me some time getting used to as well. Having the snare angled a lot like he does helps create a *little* extra room, but it takes practice.

There are some aspects to his playing, namely the way he throws in some two handed broken 16th note hi hat patterns that are a LOT easier to play with them so low.
Playing open-handed, like Billy Cobham, would let you have the hi-hat as low as the snare, but I can't play like that. Phil has the snare between his legs and really, crazy low. He didn't even angle it much back in the 70s.
He WAS able to get the hats up a bit when he used roto-toms.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I love that Wind and Wuthering tour pic; there are so many crazy things going on. Super low snare, sound edge hi hats, Gretsch bass drum with Premier toms, and my favorite has to be the GIANT chunk missing from the swish on his right.