Eloy out from Sepultura

It's unusual timing seeing as Sepultura as beginning their farewell tour, you'd think if the band are splitting up they'd keep the lineup through to the end of the tour. I can only assume either than he has a new gig that couldn't wait until the tour is over, or that there is some real friction in the band.

I think what impresses everyone the most is how hard he hits which is completely unnecessary and a complete waste of energy
Disagree.

Many bands want a drummer that hits hard.

Tommy Aldridge, Keny Arnoff, Deen Castronovo, etc, they all built careers on hitting hard for band leaders who want that.

If I'm seeing a rock or metal band, I don't want to see a guy barely grazing the drum head like a jazz drummer would. Just as if I'm at a jazz gig, I don't want to see a guy pounding the drums like a metal drummer.

I doubt a band like Sepultura wants a drummer who hits lightly.

It's unusual timing seeing as Sepultura as beginning their farewell tour, you'd think if the band are splitting up they'd keep the lineup through to the end of the tour. I can only assume either than he has a new gig that couldn't wait until the tour is over, or that there is some real friction in the band.
This brings up the question of was Elroy really a band member or a hired gun. He is their 3rd drummer, so who knows how much loyalty was really built in.

And if your job has notified you that you're being laid off in year, you start looking for another job, and if one comes up, you take it. Elory is considerably younger than the guys who are retiring.

I don't think there was friction because based on the interviews they all praise Eloy so I believe the can't wait better gig seems to be a more likely thing...

Disagree.

Tommy Aldridge, Keny Arnoff, Deen Castronovo, etc, they all built careers on hitting hard for band leaders who want that.

If I'm seeing a rock or metal band, I don't want to see a guy barely grazing the drum head like a jazz drummer would. Just as if I'm at a jazz gig, I don't want to see a guy pounding the drums like a metal drummer.

Many years ago it was proven to my (by another drummer) that he could hit just as hard with just wrist movement vs whole arm movement hence saving a lot of energy (which you need if you want to play a show like that led alone an entire tour). Volume is not what the band leaders are really looking for, is the perception of better playing via extreme violence inflicted on the kit (which again is unnecessary).

This brings up the question of was Elroy really a band member or a hired gun. He is their 3rd drummer, so who knows how much loyalty was really built in.

And if your job has notified you that you're being laid off in year, you start looking for another job, and if one comes up, you take it. Elory is considerably younger than the guys who are retiring.
I think that they didn't fire him, he left, because a better gig opened up.. Let's face it, even if you are NOT a Slipknot fan, if you were offered the gig (and could actually do it) you would ASAP because of the opportunities that would become available to you. (Endorsements, having a drum tech, playing massive arenas not to mention a big paycheck). That goes for everyone in the band not just the drummer. I'm sure the band understood and just accepted that they would have done the same. Now what I can't understand is why Greyson as a replacement? Eloy can play circles around Greyson... Like I said I seen Greyson struggle with simple double bass patterns.. how is he going to play... Desperate cry for example?

Last edited:
I saw Jason in Drumeo and he was struggling with simple double bass patterns... well hopefully he does well here.

If the video you are referring to is this one, then I think it would be fair to extend Greyson a little grace. He is attempting to play a song from a prog metal band on the spot in real time. In those circumstances, very little can be described as simple in my opinion. What I take away from this is that he is extremely detail oriented and holds himself to incredibly high standards. You give this man a goal and the time to achieve it and I have no doubt that he will rise to the occasion. Looking forward to seeing how he interprets and performs Sepultura's catalog on stage.

If the video you are referring to is this one, then I think it would be fair to extend Greyson a little grace. He is attempting to play a song from a prog metal band on the spot in real time. In those circumstances, very little can be described as simple in my opinion. What I take away from this is that he is extremely detail oriented and holds himself to incredibly high standards. You give this man a goal and the time to achieve it and I have no doubt that he will rise to the occasion. Looking forward to seeing how he interprets and performs Sepultura's catalog on stage.
I can't remember if it was that video but again if Sepultura wants him then he probably can do the job.

Incredibly unfortunate timing for sure!

I don't know if it has been made official yet, but the commonly held belief is that he is will be joining Slipknot. Which, of course, no one can blame him for taking that gig regardless of the circumstances with Sepultura and their farewell tour. I'm sure he is crushed to miss that experience with his brothers, but Slipknot is quite literally a once in a lifetime opportunity and will open god knows what doors and opportunities for him in the future. I just hope both Eloy and Greyson are treated kindly and with respect by the fan bases.

It surely must be for Slipknot or a band of that size, its understandable when Sepultura already has decided for their last run. Career-wise, and probably for economic reasons as well.

I disagree with the notion that he plays unnecessarily hard though, at least for me, it moves me way more to see a drummer pound those drums and really laying into it in thrash/heavy metal. That's what I fell for with Lars in the mid to late 80's, that's what Tempesta did with Testament, Lombardo with Slayer etc. With all respect for Hoglan, I was bored seeing him live with Testament. Technically good and everything, but it lacks that raw intensity that might make an easy going dude like me throw myself into the moshpit... 😅. He may play all the right notes, but for me there is something lacking. Eloy has it down to a tee, and so few modern metal drummers play that way today (I try to and have been told by many that I play unnecessarily hard, something my band simply loves and have gotten many more compliments for), which is why at least I hold him as one of the greatest out there today.

It will be interesting to see Greyson with them but I will be surprised if it is anywhere close to as great as with Eloy.

Last edited:
Always thought his name was pretty amusing.... Eloy and Casa Grande are cities near Phoenix!
As a Tucsonan, I just wish those two cities were better to visit. :confused:

As for the thread, I could see Grayson doing the job. I feel all drummers should try all genres just to be hirable by as many as they can.- Unless they want to focus their career on one band, this is the way.

I saw Jason in Drumeo and he was struggling with simple double bass patterns... well hopefully he does well here.
I've read about Eloy Casagrande & Greyson Nekrutman in the thread, but who's this "Jason" everyone is talking about?

Last edited:
That's what I fell for with Lars in the mid to late 80's, that's what Tempesta did with Testament, Lombardo with Slayer etc. With all respect for Hoglan, I was bored seeing him live with Testament. Technically good and everything, but it lacks that raw intensity that might make an easy going dude like me throw myself into the moshpit...
Yeah, in these genres having the necessary stage presence is every bit as essential as having a good technique, if not even more important. The vast majority of the audience are not musicians, let alone drummers, they don't care how "technically correct" someone plays. They want to watch an entertaining show where they can feel the folks on stage giving their every drop of energy and having fun at it.

Many years ago it was proven to my (by another drummer) that he could hit just as hard with just wrist movement vs whole arm movement hence saving a lot of energy (which you need if you want to play a show like that led alone an entire tour). Volume is not what the band leaders are really looking for, is the perception of better playing via extreme violence inflicted on the kit (which again is unnecessary).
Tommy Aldridge's career says otherwise.

Even though I haven't been in many bands, ever since the first one there've been band members who really responded in an energized manner when I hit hard. They dig it. One newly joined current band expects it.

What impressed me was how he had virtuoso-level skills and four way independence when he was like 12 years old:

He was already brilliant here. It reminds me of Tony Royster Jr, the video of him at age 10. You look at both guys now and you don’t know if they are better or just changed stylistically. They already had their technique and timing maxed out before their teens.

Disagree.

You don't have to hit lightly, you just don't need to hit that hard, it serves no purpose if I can reach the same volume without damaging the drums/cymbals and my body in the process.

It serves the purpose of being a visual spectacle which is important in a stadium metal show, or online where theres a million drummers and you need to stand out.
You can accomplish that (being a visual spectacle) without hitting hard at all Tommy Lee does that.
I can look like I am beating the living hell out of the drums and in reality I am just playing moderately hard, but to someone looking you could not tell (or hear much of a difference). And your body will thank you later. (I can only generate volume up to a certain level because past that either the head is going to tear or the stick is going to break, I don't need to go that far if my controlled volume is pretty much just as loud without breaking things.

Back