Dying spark from drumming for too long?

When one's been drumming for decades like 5 going on 6 something triggers a spark (that keeps you going)

Some song - you may have never investigated or never figured the drums in it were an emotional push.... then decades later....you figure or it hits you..... that's the groove you haven't 'sat in yet....
So you take that up as the new mantle

and get another decade out of it

😁

I can tell you one that did it for me (in my fifth decade)

but it'll -that one for you- will hit you and cause a spark

Very interesting responses, thanks, some that really resonate with me, and I am amazed that some of you have this unwaveringly positive relationship with playing, I am envious.

Someone suggested I stop playing.

Well no, almost 1/2 of my income is from playing. I could stop practicing and then I wouldn’t perform at the level that I need to on the gig and I’d maybe be fired and then have to pick up a full time day job again (then I would be really miserable). It’s true that I get burned out, I practice for hours every day and give drumming the majority of my energy in life.

I found my way out of my slump anyway, I think it was the post gig blues or bipolar someone mentioned.
I think everyone Hits The Wall with their respective Jobs, no Matter what it is. I retired at 70 YO in May 2021. As a Real Estate Mortgage Loan Officer, the Employer had just introduced new software to work with, and The COVID pandemic forcing work from home (no office relationships, chit chat, and girl watching) - just work at your PC looking at basement wall, that Finished me. But, I did hit the wall a few years earlier, this was the last few nails. It was stressing me out big time.

When one's been drumming for decades like 5 going on 6 something triggers a spark (that keeps you going)

Some song - you may have never investigated or never figured the drums in it were an emotional push.... then decades later....you figure or it hits you..... that's the groove you haven't 'sat in yet....
So you take that up as the new mantle

and get another decade out of it

😁

I can tell you one that did it for me (in my fifth decade)

but it'll -that one for you- will hit you and cause a spark

this has happened to me often as I creep towards my 5th decade of playing.

there is an infinite amount of stuff I need to work on to get better, so there is always material. As i have said before...i dread the day when I have no more to improve on

if I get bored with drumming, I grab my bass, or hop on a bike...and vice versa...and while riding my bike, drum beats are going through my head...same with bass...it is like an endless circle of making plans to get better at everything

I need to hit the lottery so I don't have to work....that is how I could gain the time

sometimes it's not "improve" it's 'opening" your mind to another avenue- that at one time you may have visited- but didn't stay long .
since 1970 I've studied every drum set avenue I could listen to.......now I may 'go back" and settle in one area.. adding all that's been accumulated as just a dash a spice

that's how a Bobby Gentry pop hit may have may get an Elvin Jones riff or Ed Blackwell repititious tom pattern subtly dashed into it unobtrusively

(Ha!
you have that "mental" attitude- you don't have to play it- mentally ready (for any event..
(Ha! Ha!)

Last edited:
I love music, and I love playing the drums. I am a simple guy. I love my wife and son too. Peace and goodwill.

Music is our hobby, not our careers. It needs to be fun or it becomes work.

Music is my career now. :)
It's fun. The times that it's not are just like the times that it wasn't fun back when it was a hobby.
No difference. Just less money and less life stress.

Reactions: A J
No it may actually be impossible to play so long you lose your spark. Come on quit kidding around. Now your pilot light may go out but then you end up in an urn or a box. I suggest keep sparking bro keeps you out of an urn. There are ups and downs for sure but the downs help me go up. But I’m still sparking.

I think everyone Hits The Wall with their respective Jobs, no Matter what it is. I retired at 70 YO in May 2021. As a Real Estate Mortgage Loan Officer, the Employer had just introduced new software to work with, and The COVID pandemic forcing work from home (no office relationships, chit chat, and girl watching) - just work at your PC looking at basement wall, that Finished me. But, I did hit the wall a few years earlier, this was the last few nails. It was stressing me out big time.
Not at all giving you crap for your experience because we all have different preferences but I find it super interesting how many people feel the same as you about work from home. I personally don't care to make work friends, could care less about team building exercises, and generally despise commutes and unnecessary small talk. I love... No, THRIVE, in work environments where I am completely by myself and don't have to carry the weight of an entire lazy team while they talk my ear off about their disrespectful children and marital woes.

Give me that basement wall over even a good coworker any day.

Not at all giving you crap for your experience because we all have different preferences but I find it super interesting how many people feel the same as you about work from home. I personally don't care to make work friends, could care less about team building exercises, and generally despise commutes and unnecessary small talk. I love... No, THRIVE, in work environments where I am completely by myself and don't have to carry the weight of an entire lazy team while they talk my ear off about their disrespectful children and marital woes.

Give me that basement wall over even a good coworker any day.

same...but I also love teaching kids music...if I could just do that, and avoid all of the PD conferences, and work days at school, it woulsd be a perfect job

Could there be a spark in drummers that dies the more we play?

No matter how many thousands of hours of deliberate practice, vocabulary we pick up, experience on gigs etc, could it be that our groove loses enthusiasm and perhaps bounce or consistency over time because it's just not as new and exciting?

Kind of like our first love.

I hope it's not true, I feel that way a little bit lately. I've been noodling with jazz and trying new styles in the hopes that I will rekindle the spark in the more uncharted areas of my playing but it's hard going, because they're hard styles to study/learn too.
one thing you could do is take a week or two just with a practice pad. it doesnt seem like it would help but it makes you want to go back and drum again

Seriously, you if you stop, I know this one... I stopped being in a band I was gigging 2 - 3 nights and starting a new 8am-5pm job. They wanted to go out of the area before our area, 6 million people big had really started to know who we were. SF Bay area, wanted to go to LA. I was the only one who had a regular job. So I left the band, Also had a list of other reasons for the decision. Most of all I needed to write and practice some of my parts for some of our new material which was going to take longer than a week. I had asked simply for a break, and boom they had a replacement, so whether I quit or not is debatable. Nevertheless I was bandless, Quitting drumming was not a choice I made. We bought a townhouse which my double bass kit could not be played, or even stored. I lost my job and pawned them. To shorten my post, I lost them.
The point is, I know what will happen if you stop. It is like a heroine attic quitting heroine, or an alcoholic quitting drinking, or a long time lover leaving you for another. It is suffering, an emptiness which cannot fill up in your soul. I am sorry but if you have come this far, quitting is spiritually, psychologically, mentally and physically DESTRUCTIVE to your being. You are a drummer. DRUM!!! I tried to fill the emptiness first with Beer, then with drugs, which led me down a very dark road of despair and suffering, then I found a spark of hope with guitar, that didn't catch, no guidance really. I am only here now after 24 years of that, because I spent the last of my inheritance on a new - used DW and have found my spark as I piece together my cymbals and hardware. Still in the townhouse, but moving soon...but my spark never died, I just lost myself without the fuel to let it burn. Maybe keeping the spark going just means not turning out like i did. Keeping it going might just mean you have to think of what would you do if it goes out. How does a drummer stop. Drumming is already in your blood, in your soul. Stopping nearly killed me, and I do mean literally. It is a heartbeat. That is drumming. No mammal can survive, without a heartbeat. A drummer is a heartbeat. If you quit playing it is like quitting breathing. Feels like a heart attack but on your spirit or soul or being. A metaphysical breakdown. When you think stopping is a life or death situation, thoughts of stopping leave you. What ever your drumming goals are, you cannot get to them by quitting, so push on, never give up, keep breathing.

Last edited:
Music is my career now. :)
It's fun. The times that it's not are just like the times that it wasn't fun back when it was a hobby.
No difference. Just less money and less life stress.

Kudos to you, Sir for doing what you love and making money take a back seat. Yeah... We all need money, but (although we've heard it so many times before) money is not everything. The worst career decision I ever made was leaving a fun, low-stress job for one offering "big money" with a large corporation. Everything they told me was a lie and I was dumb enough to believe them. I left after only 5 months: worst job in my life. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I learned from my mistake, downsized, retired early and the only jobs I do are those I WANT to do, or volunteer work.

Back