Dying spark from drumming for too long?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Could there be a spark in drummers that dies the more we play?

No matter how many thousands of hours of deliberate practice, vocabulary we pick up, experience on gigs etc, could it be that our groove loses enthusiasm and perhaps bounce or consistency over time because it's just not as new and exciting?

Kind of like our first love.

I hope it's not true, I feel that way a little bit lately. I've been noodling with jazz and trying new styles in the hopes that I will rekindle the spark in the more uncharted areas of my playing but it's hard going, because they're hard styles to study/learn too.

After 52 years of playing I don't experience any of that, just as excited or more than at the beginning!

Maybe you're just playing with the wrong musicians or for the wrong audience.
I've been playing for over 40 years now, and I still look forward to every next concert with the excitement of a child.
But I know a lot of colleagues who have lost their verve and power by making compromises that haven't served them well.
My fellow musicians inspire me and challenge me to keep up.
And my audience gives me enough energy to keep going.

There’s an intangible authority and confidence that grows stronger with each passing year…I remember watching my late great teacher sit in on a rock song at college to demonstrate a point to another student. I was 18 and he was an experienced pro in his 50’s. It really struck me that whilst I could play the notes he was playing, the chasm between his time/feel/vibe/presence and mine was gargantuan! I’m still chasing the dragon on a never ending mission to improve so I don’t see the spark dying for me anytime soon! :) (y)

Duck Tape, you’ve almost answered your own question. the spark for drumming dwindles if your not learning new skills, styles and trying new creative concepts and on from that actually applying them live or on recordings. However, I’ve been around the block long enough to also know that once a band has a working set there’s often little room for truly mixing in new drumming on a short timeline ( as this is often the framework others rely on so switching things up has consequence). Sometimes this works and sometimes this can derail a tune ! This is one reason why some have side projects, these can be safe places to be more expansive and experimental. Another way to keep the spark alive is to do a wholesale switch in style and within this kit setup/configuration. Another route out of the doldrums is to really shed a new technique. Play heavy rock or blues then deep dive Tony Williams 5 note ride patterns or the flavoursome grooves of Alex Acuna conversely if your a jazzer learn the nuanced power playing of Dave Abbruzzses or Brad Wilk.
Another idea Ive used is to just not play for a couple of weeks - a short hiatus can rekindle the fire….

Losing spark is def a current struggle. And there isn't a drummer locally or otherwise that has inspired me lately. That's not on them. It's not because I've accomplished what was wanted or needed, so.....

It's lack of progress, probably. The gigs have been sparse with the startups. But better ones are closer now than before. The main startup had no permanent guitar player. It has the bass player drama issue that probably won't be corrected in the short term. However, the leader has mentioned finding duplicate players of each instrument after this week when the bass player told her we couldn't practice because he has fill in gigs to practice for instead.

I have been at this a little of twenty years at the time of this post and for me it comes and goes in waves. I'm always talking about drums (especially here) and I'm always thinking about drums. Actually... I spend more time here talking about drums than I do playing drums lol. Sometimes I want to play every day, other times I want to not touch my drums for weeks. I'm never not interested in drums but I'm occasionally not interested in playing drums, if that makes sense. I never lose my interest though, I just make it a point to spread my creativity. Fiddling with midi drum programming has been great for me in this regard.

Edited to add: I also have been playing in original bands this entire time so I know that no matter what I always have one full band rehearsal a week and at minimum a few gigs a year. Even when I'm feeling unmotivated I still get one solid night a week.

Last edited:
The bass player smokes enough, so I don't have to. But the cigs are more the issue. He just sets his bass down and walks out during practice to smoke without discussing anything. At break time during gigs with a fill in guitar player, he's out the door to smoke and surf fb and get high. We're inside tweaking the PA because a tower isn't working, and we're helping the guitar player learn a few songs structures because we're running out of material.
I understand why some people have to medicate to cope. Another drummer would walk away and tell her to get it together on bass and I'll be interested again.

Could there be a spark in drummers that dies the more we play?

No matter how many thousands of hours of deliberate practice, vocabulary we pick up, experience on gigs etc, could it be that our groove loses enthusiasm and perhaps bounce or consistency over time because it's just not as new and exciting?

Kind of like our first love.

I hope it's not true, I feel that way a little bit lately. I've been noodling with jazz and trying new styles in the hopes that I will rekindle the spark in the more uncharted areas of my playing but it's hard going, because they're hard styles to study/learn too.
Yeah, but it may vary by drummer. I get a real high and on my A Game excited as all get-out with any new project. But my enthusiasm wanes after lots of practices and gigs. My spark goes up and down then back up then down then................................

I've noticed that my attitude and stoke goes up and down with the band I'm in. I enjoy being around pleasant people who rehearse and get ready. This lifts my spirit. When I'm in a band in which people show up unrehearsed and in a pissy mood I am repulsed and lose my enthusiasm for the music; I lose momentum in my personal practice sessions.

But outside "being in a band", when I get bogged down with my playing and my stoke is missing, I write a little diddy in my DAW and play drums to it. This process is lengthy for me 'cuz I often rewrite the music and frequently change my drum composition. And when I'm done, most of the time I feel better about drumming.

But I do think it's possible to lose enthusiasm for the drums or any other instrument, especially when one is isolated from others.

Playing since 12 or so steadily to early thirties. Then a long break for 20 years except for the bagpipe band , so I guess I was always playing . But with kids and work and topped off by the death of my guitarist brother , the kit , playing in bands and just jamming by myself took a back seat . It wasn’t so much losing the enthusiasm to play because of playings sake . It was just life. Had I been independently wealthy back then , spoke to someone when I was going through a rough patch between due to my brothers death and stress of being a first responder at ground zero , I think I might have gotten back into playing , or at least gotten back into it sooner . I’ve known plenty of musicians on all instruments that lost drive and enthusiasm to play and for many it was life circumstances and nothing to do with musical burnout or losing solely the desire to play their instrument . Maybe see if some things in your life are diminishing the drive and spark to play 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔.
Here’s hoping you regain that spark 👍🏼

Last edited:
I think our relationship to an instrument is too personal to toss a blanket statement on it.

It means to you what it means to you. That may (or may not) be shared among many, depending who you ask and when you ask the question. Other 'things' that go on in people's lives at different times have an influence.

I am for one, a lifelong (almost 50 years) student of the instrument. Am still inspired to practice. There have been times in my life where it's taken a backseat to other things, but with the ebbs and flows of life, it always manages to resurface.

Band situations may or may not make things better or worse at different times. Sometimes the drama can deflate the fun.

For me it's not as 'sparky' as it was 50 years ago, but that 'spark' moved to a path of continual search for information and refinement.

Keep it realistic and find your best path for you.

Duck Tape, you’ve almost answered your own question. the spark for drumming dwindles if your not learning new skills, styles and trying new creative concepts and on from that actually applying them live or on recordings. However, I’ve been around the block long enough to also know that once a band has a working set there’s often little room for truly mixing in new drumming on a short timeline ( as this is often the framework others rely on so switching things up has consequence). Sometimes this works and sometimes this can derail a tune ! This is one reason why some have side projects, these can be safe places to be more expansive and experimental. Another way to keep the spark alive is to do a wholesale switch in style and within this kit setup/configuration. Another route out of the doldrums is to really shed a new technique. Play heavy rock or blues then deep dive Tony Williams 5 note ride patterns or the flavoursome grooves of Alex Acuna conversely if your a jazzer learn the nuanced power playing of Dave Abbruzzses or Brad Wilk.
Another idea Ive used is to just not play for a couple of weeks - a short hiatus can rekindle the fire….

Generally I agree with this.

Sparks are flickers of interest that can lead to flames of progress. Sometimes just trying something new can add a breath of fresh air that fans those flames.

Sometimes though the spark can just die, literally overnight. Admittedly it may have been an extra-ordinary event that causes this but it happens.

Getting that spark back can be very difficult. In my case it's the realization that I pretty much have to start from zero due to a 30+ year hiatus. It's very frustrating knowing where I was compared to where I'm at. That spark is dim and fleeting when it's there.

I feel for any drummer who for any reason "loses the spark." Don't give up keep searching for the thing that finds it.

Haven't had it happen yet, and I've been playing fairly constantly for over 45 years.

My secret: I like to play the drums. I don't need any new or exciting music or projects, I just play drums. If something new or exciting does come along, I also play drums for that. I have no problem playing Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, Midnight Hour or any of the other (supposedly) dreaded covers.... because I get to play the drums. I have no problem playing Yoda with Weird Al every stinking show for the last 42+ years... because I like to play the drums.

Does it ever get boring? Not for me... because...

Haven't had it happen yet, and I've been playing fairly constantly for over 45 years.

My secret: I like to play the drums. I don't need any new or exciting music or projects, I just play drums. If something new or exciting does come along, I also play drums for that. I have no problem playing Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, Midnight Hour or any of the other (supposedly) dreaded covers.... because I get to play the drums. I have no problem playing Yoda with Weird Al every stinking show for the last 42+ years... because I like to play the drums.

Does it ever get boring? Not for me... because...

I gotta focus more on the playing part.
The actual performing is fantastic still. Even with the band that I left in January. The extraneous stuff has fatigued me.

Even though I play mostly regularly, sometimes I just don't feel like it so I make my session short. Mind you, I don't play in any band anymore, just by myself. When I was playing actively in bands, I always felt like playing whether to practice or writing songs or what have you. Recently I auditioned for a band which mostly plays popular rock songs, even though it went well, I refused the gig since it's not really my cup of tea (I got asked by the leader to come to the rehearsal). Also, I play less during the summer because of the heat and since it's staring to get a bit colder, I'll surely play and practice more.

Back