Do you ever get the "Are you still playing drums" question?

Yup all the time, 56 and I'll keep drumming until I drop :)
Mick
Mustang..can I ask you something..56 and still at it. Do you ever think nope..im done..i can't play scuzzy bars anymore to drunks yelling for. margaritaville at 1:15. How do you do it?. I'm in a BAD rut going from corporate gigs to bars. I'm severely spoiled.

I'm beyond 56 here and just picked it back up last year. Most places are non-smoking now. The smoking ones get old.

I recently heard from a "friend" whom I hadn't seen since the early nineties, she found me on Facebook. Her first comment was, "Oh my god, I can't believe that you are still playing in bands!" My wife laughed when she saw it. My wife's comment under her breath was, "Oh my god, I can't believe that she is still acting like a bleeping groupie..." :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: A J
I don’t remember so I vote No.

Mustang..can I ask you something..56 and still at it. Do you ever think nope..im done..i can't play scuzzy bars anymore to drunks yelling for. margaritaville at 1:15. How do you do it?. I'm in a BAD rut going from corporate gigs to bars. I'm severely spoiled.
You learn to be more discerning about gigs, learn to say "No"

Current main gig is a John Prine tribute, definitely different - small setup with Conga/Percussion.
Nice venues/theatres and a listening audience.

I do have some rowdier gigs but definitely not in the "drunks/toilet" circuit.

It has to be fun.
Mick

Attachments

• Prine Setup.jpg
    Prine Setup.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 11
Yeah, I get asked that question sometimes, but more than that, most people that I hadn’t seen in a while will usually say “Hey man! Wow, you’re still alive! And you’re not in jail!!”

I seem to be retired as of covid. Gigs dried up around here and I have contacted everyone I know and cannot find a new band/project.
I have played every style and in every kind of band there is from Reggae to Country to good ole R&R, just no new bands forming and a lot of the old one's gone. Been a couple years now and the phone just doesn't ring.

So I guess my answer would be . "I wish".

I'm at the grocery store and I hear a Danny..are you still playing drums?. I hardly recognized the person but I smiled and said yes. We didn't talk but I thought who remembers me and that I played drums...it just felt good that some aquaintence from long ago remembered me as playing in some band. I just felt special and it made my day.
Drumming is Life. Everything else is just waiting.

I once had an old classmate ask, "Are you still playing music?" and she wrinkled her nose as she asked. She couldn't hide her disdain at the thought of it for some reason. People are funny.

Strangely, I usually get that question from former or inactive drummers.

I once had an old classmate ask, "Are you still playing music?" and she wrinkled her nose as she asked. She couldn't hide her disdain at the thought of it for some reason. People are funny.
Do you think there is an age where people might feel that being in a band after your 20's is semi derelict?. If your Mick Jagger the thought is that he's forever young. But be someone that loves music and playing some club at 40 or 50 without notoriety and it might be like you are trying to relive your youth. I don't know why the wrinkled nose either..just trying to be Dr.Phil for a moment.

Do you think there is an age where people might feel that being in a band after your 20's is semi derelict?. If your Mick Jagger the thought is that he's forever young. But be someone that loves music and playing some club at 40 or 50 without notoriety and it might be like you are trying to relive your youth. I don't know why the wrinkled nose either..just trying to be Dr.Phil for a moment.
The sense I got was, “You mean, you haven’t outgrown that phase yet?”

I get that all the time..."you are still in a band...at your age?"

I remember when I was first starting out back in my teens that we would sometimes play with bands who had members in their 50's. I used to think: ' man, I hope I am not an old washed up 'wanna be' old band guy when I am that age..."

here it is 40 years later, and I am still thinking the same thing...

the difference is that there are no young bands around anymore to think that about me

From the woman I was married to I get, "You're so much better than..." how I'm living, how I'm behaving who I'm hanging out with, etc.

I went out on Friday evening for my mates 50th birthday, he’s also the singer/guitarist in our band. So as the night was progressing, his wife had a good few drinks and she asked if my wife was embarrassed about me still being in a band.. I asked why and she told me she doesn’t like telling people he’s at band practice because it’s embarrassing for her because he’s ‘too old..
I asked if he was famous would it bother her, she told me that it would be different if it was ‘what he did’..
I pointed out that it is something he did, as well as his day job..
She told me I didn’t get it..
I now understand why he misses so many practices..
But it is a thing for some people..

Back