Do you ever get the are you still playing drums question?

Bozozoid

Gold Member
I'm at the grocery store and I hear a Danny..are you still playing drums?. I hardly recognized the person but I smiled and said yes. We didn't talk but I thought who remembers me and that I played drums...it just felt good that some aquaintence from long ago remembered me as playing in some band. I just felt special and it made my day.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Someone asked me that once. But it was just that one time.

BobC

Maybe once in a blue moon I get that question, but it doesn't happen too often, because people who know me already know I still play. I think a couple of acquaintances from high school have asked, because they hadn't seen me for decades.

Maybe once in a blue moon I get that question, but it doesn't happen too often, because people who know me already know I still play. I think a couple of acquaintances from high school have asked, because they hadn't seen me for decades.

I get that fairly often , but mostly from ( like you ) people I haven’t seen a a good while . Most close friends and family and people I see sort of frequently already know .

Now that you mention it , when I haven’t seen someone in years and in at least 2 or three instances when it was at least 20 years , and in one case 35 years ,….
It did feel kinda good that they knew me immediately and remembered I’d played back when we were kids in high school 👍🏼

Bozozoid

Gold Member
It just makes me think..doctors can reset broken bones..save your life with surgery..but how many people watch a store manager walk out from work getting applause because their frozen food section looks great. We get done with a rocking set of Humble Pie tunes and walk offstage being nearly deafied..people remembering who we are 25 years later. We don't stop to think how powerful music is.

jda

Silver Member
"do birds ______in the woods?"
alternate answer.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
I get asked that sometimes, except the first word is always “why.” And I still haven’t come up with a good answer.

Croc

Only once in 2001 during my "down" years. The person asking was my high school / college girlfriend who I hadn't talked to or seen in over 25 years at that time. She asked if I still played drums and I somewhat shamefully said no. I asked her if she was still playing acoustic guitar and she responded no, also. We mutely stared at each other for a moment, realizing we had both lost / abandoned activities which had once given us great satisfaction. It steeled my resolve to begin playing again and I purchased my first e-kit within six months

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I only get "when are you gonna grow up?" when I tell people I still play in rock bands.

I started playing drums before 1st grade, so pretty much anyone I have ever met knows, and knew at the time of meeting me, that I was going to be a drummer for a living. I advertised that pretty loudly from day 1.

I do get "do you still play your dad's Ludwigs" a lot....and I still do.

1 hit wonder

I suspect that the reason I get the question is because I don't really do anything other than drum for my main income.
I've worked for 6 days helping a couple of people over the past several years. I think only 2-3 days were full days.
It's liberating when it comes time for some female to ask for some treat. I'm a musician, you know we don't have money.