Do most drummers hate metal ? as much as normal popheads? ( extreme metal)

I do not hate metal. I rarely listen to it because I like singing and do not care to be growled at. I am more of a jazz listener. I love drums and cymbals in all genres. Peace and goodwill.

I try to refrain from "hating " anything or anyone. I'm not a big metal guy, tho I admire the technical skill it takes to play it. And there's no way I could play most of that stuff, way beyond me.

(Funny coincidence, this thread... we just began working up Enter Sandman. That song is outside our usual stuff, and I realize it's not "metal" to the true believers... I just listened to an isolated drum only track, and realized that I could certainly do that...lol...I know, I know...Lars...I dont get into the Lars hate, either)

I try to dip my toe in enuf to attempt to stay as relevant as possible for an old so-and-so...I have many friends who are seriously into it. I wouldn't even pretend to attempt naming any of the acts that I liked. I listen for a hook, and some melody. (yes, there can be melody in metal) If the song has those, it doesn't matter what genre it is, to me.
This open mindset is quite rare among my generation , being the only teen metalhead in school who listen to brutal and extreme metal , i try to convert other people to at least understand the essence of metal. I just wish there were more people with this kind of view on music.

I try to refrain from "hating " anything or anyone. I'm not a big metal guy, tho I admire the technical skill it takes to play it. And there's no way I could play most of that stuff, way beyond me.

(Funny coincidence, this thread... we just began working up Enter Sandman. That song is outside our usual stuff, and I realize it's not "metal" to the true believers... I just listened to an isolated drum only track, and realized that I could certainly do that...lol...I know, I know...Lars...I dont get into the Lars hate, either)

I try to dip my toe in enuf to attempt to stay as relevant as possible for an old so-and-so...I have many friends who are seriously into it. I wouldn't even pretend to attempt naming any of the acts that I liked. I listen for a hook, and some melody. (yes, there can be melody in metal) If the song has those, it doesn't matter what genre it is, to me.
Variety is the spice of life, so they say. I will listen to just about anything, to not give any one genre a chance is doing yourself a musical disservice. I may not repeat listen some things, but it all deserves a chance.

I honestly don't get bothered anymore by who dislikes what. If somebody is trashing I genre I like, my thought is, "Cool. That's another person who won't pick up all the cool stuff I've learned from it." Those who keep an open mind can even get ideas from music they're not really into. I'm pretty far from a metalhead, yet a major influence on my playing happens to be a metal drummer. Not really into his music at all, but studying his technique and watching his demos was very useful to me.

It has't been my experience that most drummers hate metal, not at all.
There my be preferences in types of metal but I'm not sure I've met any drummers who "hate" metal.

I recently discovered Gojira, super creative drumming and songwriting. Great stuff.

Last edited:
The scary thing about metal and similar types is that some people actually believe in the weird and twisted stuff.

yea due to their fans believing in satanism and stuff , belphegor and nile got like assaulted at the airport by the russian orthodox church , he even spat in Helmuts face !
And this here is the problem. Extremists on either side of the fence who dont know how to behave themselves. The musicians themselves dont take themselves nearly as seriously as some of their fans. Metal musicians arent murderers, necrophiliacs, or rapists. They dont eat children, worship satan*, or run amok leaving chaos in there wake. They are just creating art. Metal is supposed to be scary in theme, it's the musical version of a horror movie.

In the 8 years I gigged, I shared the stage and hung out with numerous different national metal acts. They are just people like the rest of us. I've hung out with Glen Benton, he didnt do any satanic rituals. I've hung out with Chris Barnes, he is a peace loving hippie, not a murderer. It's just an act. At the end of the day, all these folks want to do is play music just like the rest of us.

*Most arent. While satan is a giant topic in metal, again it's just an act.

What would be the cause of all the undeserving hate towards metal? Metal when one looks at it is not only noise but has a certain technicality to it , and it does take a while to fully appreciate the genius of metal. Along with that it takes sheer endurance and technique in all the instruments in metal , not forgoing the vocals. Do drummers from different genres value metal? Or look at it as a source of inspiration? Also do most drummers agree metal has the fastest drumming with the most power and endurance?

ps i know i havent phrased this question properly , but this is all i can think of right now , Please humour my mistakes or word errors

I think if a music is a collection of aggressive sounds for the ear, then there will be a group of haters. I remember my grandfather talking about noise. He lived the progressive rock of the 70 music super hard conceptual music to listen to like Yes, Gentle Giant, Emerson lake and palmer etc.

I am not surprised that a person could say it's shit if it's so hard to listen to. (Keith Emerson is one of my idols so it's not coming from me)

My mom she can't listen to ELP, she will repeat, ah yeah, people took LSD (or other drugs) while listening to that. :ROFLMAO: she don't care about the music, she hates it in fact.

For the metal, the screaming and satanic voices.. again it's often associated to satanism, and aggressivity. It's enough to cut a good amount of listeners, older people perhaps who devote time to appreciate the best thing of life for their souls.

Personally I like metal and the progressive rock from the 70s, these are just my observations.

Hopefully it will help the subject (or be ignored as always.) 😂

I'm a metal guy yet I only like maybe 1% of it. The rest either all sounds too much the same (and increasingly so) , or is boring, or just not very good. ( I feel this way about just about every genre though.)
The drumming usually lacks dynamics, and even much of the technical stuff is just fast single strokes.

There are many positives as well, of course, I just thought I'd point out what I think are some negatives as a metal fan. Musicianship aside, lots of people just don't like the sound regardless of how good the music actually is. Can't do anything to help those poor souls, and I weep in Meshuggah for them.

Last edited:
Like any genre of music ,there are likes and dislikes.
Rush and Tool can be classified as metal.
Not a big fan Iron Maiden,but they do have some chops.
Then you got the wankers doing Tibetan throat yodeling which i detest.
Overall ,i like metal and have stoned fond memories of large arenas reverberating to the dirty guitar riffing.

I was blown away by Sunbather, the second album by Deafheaven, which I guess was originally considered a black metal/screamo (or at least adjacent) band. They've got the screaming vocals, but they mixed them so low they generally just became another instrument, and the music was superb--sorta like shoegaze meets post-rock...which is pretty much my personal sweet spot.

Hater here. I'm not even very religious, but the first bar of metal in my ears has my soul being ripped from my body and disintegrated on the edge of a black hole.

Well at least we know you've heard the good stuff.

I like Megadeth but where I live most audiences don't like metal. I know a metal band and they are changing to classic rock because audiences are basically anti-metal.

Well at least we know you've heard the good stuff.
I've put some metal on the tv during rough sex, but have no use for it other than that. I imagine playing it during a purge if they make that legal. Florida's anti-riot bill is about the closest we have to it right now LOL.

Seriously, I don't think certain styles are compatible with drummers of other styles. If I heard Weckl playing death metal, even for one song, it would ruin my perception of everything he's done in jazz fusion to date. Everything. I don't think any of the jazz greats would be the same had they had a diversion into metal.

EDIT: Incompatible. Then back to compatible. Oops!

Seriously, I don't think certain styles are compatible with drummers of other styles. If I heard Weckl playing death metal, even for one song, it would ruin my perception of everything he's done in jazz fusion to date. Everything. I don't think any of the jazz greats would be the same had they had a diversion into metal.

If I heard Weckl playing death metal, even for one song, it would ruin my perception of everything he's done in jazz fusion to date.
I would have a whole new respect for him if he did that. Nothing shows your skills like being able to wander genres and still kill it (which you know he would if he went metal)
Not a drummer, but Alex Skolnick went from metal to a jazz project. It can be done, I tells ya!

Oh look, it's Stanton Moore:
Oh look, it's Vinnie Colaiuta:
Oh look, it's Kenny G:

Back