Do most drummers hate metal ? as much as normal popheads? ( extreme metal)

Arjun Diwaker

What would be the cause of all the undeserving hate towards metal? Metal when one looks at it is not only noise but has a certain technicality to it , and it does take a while to fully appreciate the genius of metal. Along with that it takes sheer endurance and technique in all the instruments in metal , not forgoing the vocals. Do drummers from different genres value metal? Or look at it as a source of inspiration? Also do most drummers agree metal has the fastest drumming with the most power and endurance?

ps i know i havent phrased this question properly , but this is all i can think of right now , Please humour my mistakes or word errors

pocket player

I guess as human beings we sometimes use the word Hate in the wrong context . metal drumming is just another art form of music ,you either care for it or not ,like Tunafish

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I respect metal in addition to the drummers who play it well, but I don't listen to it. I used to listen to A LOT of heavy music in the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. I had my time with it, and I just find the genre tiresome right now. I'm not really angry about anything anymore, I've grown up a lot, and at this point in my life, metal is about as appealing as a heated political discussion. Some people thrive on it, and that's great! Go do that. I'm simply not going to because I can't relate to anything that's being said in the music. I know metal fans have the attitude of "You just don't get it!" Don't worry; I get it. I just don't listen to it. I do have a deep respect for the people who play it because it's not for the faint of heart.

When it comes to this forum, I don't see any "hate" towards this genre at all. I think that's one thing that's really cool about this forum is that church drummers can have conversations about drumming with the folks who play doom metal. We celebrate our victories together, and we sympathize with each other when our gear fails or we have a bad show. I don't know how many times, I've posted a video of my playing and others on here will say something like "I don't listen to country music, but you played that song really well!" If this "hate" towards metal drummers exists, I simply don't see it here.

Maybe the most critical people of metal are metal fans. I know that's how it seems to be with Dream Theater. 🤣

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
No we don’t discriminate we hate all drummers equally- just check out the forum. Probably because we are drummers we know what scum we are so even self loathing- deserving of no respect. I could have gone my whole life loving all drummers but then I joined the DW forum and since I’ve been educated on my naive love. But you have to really love something to then turn that emotion into really hating it. So my hate goes deep as my love once did. Im going to put sll DW on the ignore list-as many of you have me. ROFL-Where do people get these ideas? There are very few things that I give a crap enough about to evoke such an emotion as "hate". What kind of sick society and world is evolving if driven by hate? Now tongue in cheek haters is hilarious-like with Lars. I think more people hate jazz drummers than metal drummers. LOL thought I'd feed the need and pass it forward. Wait I'd say Jazz, then country drummers are hated more than metal drummers-sorry PorkPie it's not me-it's them damn haters or maybe it's a Pearl thing-you are playing Luddies?

Fritz Frigursson

do i hate it? no. do i acknowledge its technicality? yes. do i like modern metal? no.

apart from the fan base that seems like 50 year olds who go on every pop song and comment “this isn’t real music, real music is metallicahhhh and weezer”, i don’t see the appeal of screaming and growling as lyrics. there are likely many people who enjoy that kind of feature (for reasons i can’t understand) but for me it’s a no. when i was in my heavy music “phase” a few years ago i liked a few bands, but even then it wasn’t all screams, but when i listen to new material it almost always drives me away. guitars overdriven and distorted until you can’t even tell what note they’re playing, toms that sound like farts, kick drums that have 0 tone (triggers, i get it), most of the time lyrics have no meaning. and the bass is pretty much non existent so i don’t like that aspect either (but why would you need a bass when you can have your rhythm guitar guy playing the lowest note he can with his overdriven guitar)

damn now i sound like one of those 50 year olds on youtube comment sections, how ironic

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm a death metal drummer. If people hate me because of that, I just dont care. I still like y'all and your pop/hip-hop/country/rock/jazz/classical/swing/funk/disco music.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think metal belongs to certain generations, just like every generation has it's preferred music.

One day when all the death metal players are grandparents, they will most likely berate the newest latest music trend too.

It's the cycle of life

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I am not a fan of Metal in any form. However I went to see Derek Roddy at a clinic and was quite entertained. His skill level was amazing. The word hate has become a too often used word, even to the point of someone not liking something and being called a "hater" More slang than any real emotion. I am also not a fan of country music but I'm not a "hater"

rebonn

I think it's classified as death metal that I despise with the low graspy vocals that ruins a perfectly good metal song to where I just end up listening to the music and drummer which are usually really good. Put a really good rock singer in it's place and the difference would be astronomical for me. However it is possible I would of liked that type of vocal as a teen but I don't think so. The music 11 year olds like today I don't really care for either, but if I were 11 today, who knows.

Arjun Diwaker

The scary thing about metal and similar types is that some people actually believe in the weird and twisted stuff.

I stabbed him in they eye
And sucked out its juice
The prize for the victor
Die die die, never ever a truce

Drive faster
Run them over
A minute without another kill
Is a wasted one

or were they just singing Carpenter’s music with the weird possessed guy voice over blast beats?
yea due to their fans believing in satanism and stuff , belphegor and nile got like assaulted at the airport by the russian orthodox church , he even spat in Helmuts face !

drumhedd

I used to play in a prog/black metal band. 150-200bpm single foot blast beats and 16th triplet double bass grooves were my jam and I was damn good at it. I never had to use triggers as I was still able to maintain good power and volume at those breakneck speeds. It was a lot of fun maintaining my "fitness" if you will- almost like equal parts artistry/musicianship and athleticism. Practicing was like going to the gym.

I haven't done that sort of stuff for a good few years now, and don't listen to much extreme stuff anymore, but it is fun to occasionally woodshed the stuff. It's great for stamina and dexterity.

Arjun Diwaker

I used to play in a prog/black metal band. 150-200bpm single foot blast beats and 16th triplet double bass grooves were my jam and I was damn good at it. I never had to use triggers as I was still able to maintain good power and volume at those breakneck speeds. It was a lot of fun maintaining my "fitness" if you will- almost like equal parts artistry/musicianship and athleticism. Practicing was like going to the gym.

I haven't done that sort of stuff for a good few years now, and don't listen to much extreme stuff anymore, but it is fun to occasionally woodshed the stuff. It's great for stamina and dexterity.
even at 200 bpm it was a full body workout? My apologies if i offend you , but to me it seems like one does a full body workout at tempos exceeding 280 and going towards 320 . Single stroke double bass is probable till 300 while using the finger technique it is probable around 350 bpm. Me playing around 5 belphegor or nile songs in a row would be tiring but modern metal drummers have the endurance to play around 20 - 30 songs in a row if needed

Last edited:

BruceW

I try to refrain from "hating " anything or anyone. I'm not a big metal guy, tho I admire the technical skill it takes to play it. And there's no way I could play most of that stuff, way beyond me.

(Funny coincidence, this thread... we just began working up Enter Sandman. That song is outside our usual stuff, and I realize it's not "metal" to the true believers... I just listened to an isolated drum only track, and realized that I could certainly do that...lol...I know, I know...Lars...I dont get into the Lars hate, either)

I try to dip my toe in enuf to attempt to stay as relevant as possible for an old so-and-so...I have many friends who are seriously into it. I wouldn't even pretend to attempt naming any of the acts that I liked. I listen for a hook, and some melody. (yes, there can be melody in metal) If the song has those, it doesn't matter what genre it is, to me.