Dire Straits 'Calling Elvis' with Noble & Cooley/Istanbul Agop content

Very nice! Loads of fun to play along with this live track. Think i will pop the dvd on the weekend and enjoy the whole concert again :)

I may be missing something but I've listened your grooves befor and why the Porcaro brothers haven't hooked up with you post Jeff is a mystery. I know about other drummers doing the Toto thing but I'm dumbfounded why I haven't seen a Whitten/Toto experience. Certainly not just because you might be available but because Jeff and yourself share a sick groove. Maybe I'm just unaware?

I'm not worthy.
Jeff came to see us at The Forum. I passed him in the hotel lobby after the show, but he was deep in conversation with Knopfler (my boss). I didn't feel it was my place to butt in, so I just acknowledge him and said hi. He said something back like killer playing, very, very nice of him.
I thought oh well, next time I'm in LA I'll look him up - - - then he died. So a massive regret there.

I'm not worthy.
Jeff came to see us at The Forum. I passed him in the hotel lobby after the show, but he was deep in conversation with Knopfler (my boss). I didn't feel it was my place to butt in, so I just acknowledge him and said hi. He said something back like killer playing, very, very nice of him.
I thought oh well, next time I'm in LA I'll look him up - - - then he died. So a massive regret there.
Not! Worthy!?..ill be the judge of that!..get! Down and give me 50! Soldier!..not worthy...

I started out as a guitar player and I definetly remember when that album came out. Mark and Eric were my first guitar heroes. That guitar fill in the middle is just iconic.

I had no idea who Jeff was at the time. I didn't know to much at all really. It was a couple of years before I started checking out studio players on varius stuff. You and Ginger Baker were probably the only drummer names I knew of except for some Norwegian cats, like Per Hillestad. Then I just had to remember who was Whitten and who was White.

Checking into a hotel was always confusing. Also, airlines that cut off the last part of your surname on tickets.

I remember them rehearsing that breakdown guitar lick. At the end of the song everyone plays it (maybe not John ;)). Quite a thing to watch Paul Franklin play that lick on pedal steel!

It was that magic time in music. I was sax player too and not much of a guitar player yet, so "Going Home" also had a special place in my heart.

Dire Straits were super big in Norway at the time and I remember Sony Music in Norway doing a special documentary before the tour that I recorded and watched over and over. We didn't have much back then, so it was that and the Mandela show with Eric. It's one of those bands that that transcended age and whatever style you primarily listen to. Music nerds to truck drivers and everyone in between.

Back