Cymbals keep getting bigger

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
It seems that cymbals continue to get larger. 16" hats. 20" crashes etc.. Lest we forget DARK, DARK, DARK...

Are 13" hats even a thing anymore?

Reactions: I-P
I recently purchased a set of Bosphorus cymbals and surprised myself because I bought both a 20" effects and 22" china. And they are FANTASTIC!! I love them.

13" hats are still out there as well as the smaller nano hats, like 10". Not uncommon to see larger hats.

However, big cymbals aren't really a new thing. It all boils down to personal preference and the context in which the cymbals will be used.:cool:

Last edited:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

late 90s 00s trend to larger cymbals may have been not wanting to deal with highs

Last edited:
i use 13" vented hi hats as my aux hats, as well as 19" and 20" crashes, but none of them are dark sounding, theyre all warm yet bright/attacky :)

I play 13” New Beats regularly with a big band. Started because they are light, but they really mix well. I’m always tempted by the 24” rides, but I would also need to purchase a 24” cymbal case and bag since I use both at different times. Not doing that. Playin’ jazz so dark dark dark… yup.

Funny...I just went back to 14" hats from playing 16" hats for quite a while. Chalk it up to ear fatigue or boredom, but I just fancied a change.

I actually took 2 pairs of 14s to my gig a few days ago; Paiste 602 ME and Sig Dark Crisp hats. I swapped them out at the break. I gotta say, both hats sounded great. Crisp, bit not overpowering. They both sat in the mix pretty well.

I'm sure I will break the big 16s back out at some point, but I'm really digging the quickness and better playability of 14s for now.

As far as rides, I go back and forth between 22" and 20". I thought I was going to be all about 24" rides a while back, but it just didn't suit my playing.

Big cymbals have been around forever. Many jazz drummers back in the day used 22” and even 24” rides. I can’t justify the expense but if I could I’d pick up a 22” ride and maybe a 20” crash/ride and an 18” crash. And I’d try hats that are bigger than my current 14’s.

And I really love the sound of the new Bosphorous line from Meinl. This guy sounds amazing using them.

It seems that cymbals continue to get larger. 16" hats. 20" crashes etc.. Lest we forget DARK, DARK, DARK...

Are 13" hats even a thing anymore?
I don’t know if it’s a new thing. I started playing larger cymbals 20 years ago. I play a set of thin Paiste Big Beats and a set of Bosphorus Era 1600s. They’re two sides of the same coin. I would love a “tiny” setup, with a 17” ride but it would be more limited than my 22” ride.

That's funny you said that. I went larger for my current Sabian setup; 17" and 19" crashes, 22" ride, 21" China. The only ones that didn't change were the 14" hats, and lately, I'm thinking of trying a set of 15s."

Yes I also have preferred larger cymbals.
Was running 17" 18" crashes now 19" 20" crashes.
Also 15" Hi-hats (up from 14")

I have 13" A Custom hats that I use sometimes. I love the sound.
My cymbals have remained the same sizes since 2010 (when I returned to drumming). I don't play crashes larger than 18" mostly for the relatively faster decay and seemingly lower perceived / projected volume.

Also, just to clarify, the OP never said it was a new thing, I think he just meant cymbals seem to be trending toward larger.

Last edited:
They are popular... but the bigger they get the less I like the sounds.

Depends on the cymbal for me. Sometimes a 19" crash will produce the sound I wanted from an 18". Anything over 19 takes longer than I like to "crash" and decay. The slower crash sounds to me like PWSSHH instead of PSSHH.

(Hear the difference lol?)

It's like mullets and IPAs and facial hair grooming, people start getting into it, and take it way too far, until it's totally gross and ridiculous. Or until you have a cymbal that doesn't work as a musical instrument.

Like just because they can tune marching a marching snare in super piccolo range didn't make the need for a normally pitched drum go away, there's just a hole in the arrangement there.

It's like mullets and IPAs and facial hair grooming, people start getting into it, and take it way too far, until it's totally gross and ridiculous. Or until you have a cymbal that doesn't work as a musical instrument.

Like just because they can tune marching a marching snare in super piccolo range didn't make the need for a normally pitched drum go away, there's just a hole in the arrangement there.
That really did make me laugh!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: But oh so very true!

I'm from the school of the right tools for the right job. If 13" hats work you, then by all means, buy them, play them, and enjoy them!

I usually don't follow trends, but I like old drums with big, thin, dark, washy cymbals that fit what I'm doing. I don't really foresee me changing anytime soon...even when they go out of "style."

I never thought about it. In any genre, you’ll find those who play whatever, and some will have both small and large in the same set.

I'm from the school of the right tools for the right job. If 13" hats work you, then by all means, buy them, play them, and enjoy them!

I usually don't follow trends, but I like old drums with big, thin, dark, washy cymbals that fit what I'm doing. I don't really foresee me changing anytime soon...even when they go out of "style."
Same here. I use 14" or 16" hats, 20" or 22", with various size crashes.

I'll swap cymbals out for a specific gig or just for a change of sound. In all honesty, nearly every cymbal I have could be used on any of my gigs. It's rare that anyone other that us drummers notice the change in cymbals. In fact, I've only ever gotten compliments on 2 cymbals ever, my 602 Flat Ride and my 24 Giant Beat.

Back