Cymbal set up

I'm in the "close-blend" camp. In those instances when I use one crash immediately after the other, I want them to have a consistent tonality along with a slightly different pitch. For example, at home I have three 16" crash cymbals - a Zildjian A thin, a Zildjian K Dark medium-thin, and a Zildjian K Dark thin (not pictured). When used in quick succession, all three are obviously from the same "family," but each has a slightly different "personality," if you will.

The other two crashes in the mix follow the same philosophy. One is a 17" Zildjian A medium-thin, while the other is an 18" Zildjian A thin. Even when moving between the largest and the smallest of the crashes, the family resemblance dominates so that there is no abrupt clashes or variances. The same holds true even for the 10" Sabian HH splash cymbal.

(The pictures are of my Slingerland kit set up at home with most of the drums, cymbals, and other nonsense that's just fun to play around with. When gigging - which hasn't been for a while now - I will use my simple 5-piece Pacific CX Maple kit with a maximum of two crash cymbals with a minimum tonal spread between them.)

So, close matching is my cymbal philosophy. It's neither right nor wrong, just a personal preference. This is what sounds most pleasing to my ears. YMMV. ;)

GeeDeeEmm

Slingerland BD Cymbal Arm 002.JPG

Slingerland House Shots 001.JPG

I usually have 2 crashes. But I often use my ride as a crash many times .. if that counts as 3.
Right now it's a Sabian AAX V crash 16" and a Sabian AAX stage crash 18" with a Sabian B8 ride. I can't wait to slap some Zildjian K cymbals to replace them, trying to shoot for two 20" crashes and a 22" ride.

Today I spent some time re-arranging my cymbals a bit.

i wanted to have bright and darker cymbals accessible on both sides of the kit.

So from left to Right:
14” Paiste Dark energy hi hats (dark)
17” Paiste Dark Energy crash (dark)
8” Paiste signature splash (bright)
10” Dark energy splash (dark)
18” Paiste 2002 crash (bright)
12” Agazarian China (soon to be replaced)
22” Paiste Dark Energy Ride mark I (Dark)
19” Istanbul Agop Xist Crash (dark)
16” 2002 crash (bright)
17” Sabian Holy China
14” 2002 sound Edge AUX hats (bright)

I have 3 rides that I mix, all Paiste (dark Energy mark 1, Mark 2 and formal 602 modern essentials)

A7D09895-31CF-4A14-9E21-5CE3BD5D20A0.jpeg

If I do use a crash, it’s a 20” thin to my right (I’m left-handed). Most times I don’t need it as my 22” Light Ride does great as a crash too and my 17” hi hats are actually two thin crashes.

Just an opinion, if you like both cymbals individually, my guess is you will find a way to like/bridge the two together. Your brain already gave each of them the OK. Even if they are very different sounding individually, I believe that because you like them individually, that you will find a way to like the way they work together.

I'm basing this off of the thought that I believe most people's preferred cymbal tones for rides...crashes...fall in a pretty narrow band. It's just a theory.

Of course this is a broad generalization with loads of exceptions I'm sure, but I think there's some truth in there because I notice it in my own life

My currently most used setup, l-r:

12" china
13" hats
16" crash
10" splash
18" crash ride
22" ride

The cymbals I have complement each other tonally imo, and, work for me when melodically filling space between beats.

I am me. ;)

For me, the purpose of having two crashes is largely for being able to do a string of cymbal hits, so having two crashes that sounds totally different doesn't work for me. Having said that, I also don't like to have the exact same cymbal in two different sizes. I much prefer to have a slight difference in sound as I feel it gives a bit more depth/flavour/whatever but also means each crash has a somewhat individual purpose. My left crash is always for crashing and stabbing (crazy, I know ;p) and my right crash is used a lot for washy riding.

I have toyed with the idea of going for a more trashy crash sound, but I think that's likely to work more in theory that practice.

Currently I use a 17" HHX Evolution crash on the left and a 20" AAX Iso crash on the right. I do also use a 19" Holy China to the far right. I really like this set up, along with my HH raw Bell ride.

I have one 18 inch Zildjian crash in the middle of my set up and 2 16 inch, 1 AA, and 1 AAX Sabian on the outsides. I want three distinctive sounds for three different uses.

I have a 16" Zildjian fast crash to my left, and an 18" Zildjian fast crash to my right, over a 21" Sweet ride. Thinking about adding something with a little more sustain. Don'r need it often, but sometimes you just need to ring out. Will likely place it to my far left.

My crashes blend, I have a 19 and 20 K Dark Thin Crashes which are great for me, the cherry is the 22" A medium ride which blends with the crashes and hats. Works for me anyway!

If you can get a cymbal setup where all parts compliment each other you're doing it right. Cymbals don't have to blend to compliment each other.

I don't place a lot of emphasis on blending, but rather, I seek to obtain a stark differential in tones. Considering that I play Paiste exclusively, blending happens (more or less) genetically with this maker, so creating distinction in sound between each is my focus.

As C.M. Jones, mentioned, I, too, prefer working with a format of smallest on my left, to largest on my right, but as for each crash cymbal complimenting each other, not at all.

As it stands, I have two crashes, a 2002, 24", and a 2002, 22", both of which are from the Classic line, however, within the next few months I'll be adding an additional 4-5 more crashes to my setup. Like a painters palette, I want a wide variety and spectrum at my disposal when I'm behind my kit. I don't want to be limited.

I'd like to hit a 24" 2002 crash! I just got my first 2002 (Big Beat 22" Ride) and man...man. Sounds good.

Somehow, I end up coming back to "smallest to largest" as well. The more I play, the better I am at using my hands to hit them. I have not found a great spot for a splash yet..

Your two crashes can be the same size. Random example: a 17" thin crash and 17" medium crash might compliment each other well.
As for positioning, I looked at many pros' setups and gravitated toward Troy Wright's various configurations. This setup is what I have now, plus a couple of splashes.

My Paiste Set Up is 3-18” crashes (Signature Precision, Fast and Full)
15” Dark Energy Hats (main) 15” Giant Beats (auxiliary)
20” Dark energy Mark I ride (i find it very crashable).
10” Dark energy splash.
18” Formula 602 China.

Last edited:
Back