Buddy Rich's Secret Solved

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Buddy Rich's Secret Solved

buddy_rich.jpg

SKF NOTE: I cannot remember a time in my life when this Great Music Mystery wasn't unsolved: How did Buddy Rich become the world's greatest drummer without taking drum lessons?

I grew up, like a million other aspiring drummers, being told I had to learn the 13 Essential Drum Rudiments. And I had to learn how to read music. Why? Because these were necessary for becoming a successful drummer.

And all the while I was struggling with paradiddle variations and ratamacues, and the often mind numbing task of converting notes on drum charts into music -- there was the World's Greatest Drummer. He never took a drum lesson. He couldn't read music. If Buddy Rich could be as good as he was without lessons and reading - why couldn't I? Why couldn't other aspiring drummers?

What was Buddy Rich's secret?

I came across a letter written by drum teacher Stanley Spector, published in the March 7, 1968 Down Beat that -- lo and behold! -- solves the Great Music Mystery. At least to a large degree. I've posted a photo of Mr. Spector's letter below. But here's the part of Spector's letter that caught my eye:

Buddy Rich is reported to have stated that he never took a drum lesson in his life, that he took to drumming like a fish takes to water, so to speak. Really? If one understands Buddy the R and his special background, he probably had more man-hours of the only relevant drum instruction available in his time than any other drummer who ever appeared before the public.

In face, you could say that his childhood was one perpetual drum lesson.

As I understand it, Rich's parents were in vaudeville and toured the country with son Buddy in tow. Master Rich had the opportunity, the time and the interest to sit in the front row of theaters and take daily drum lessons by watching and talking with every first rate pit band drummer in America.

Apparently when your total environment has been a drumming school the tendency is not to take notice that you ever attended classes. Does the fish notice that its environment is water?

About one year later I came across podcast, a 1981 BBC Radio Show, Desert Island Discs, hosted by Roy Plomley with Buddy Rich as Mr. Plomley's guest.

Mr. Plomley asks Buddy about the Great Music Mystery. Buddy's answer, which I have transcribed verbatim, confirms what Stanley Spector suspected 13 years earlier in his Down Beat letter.

Roy Plomley: Had anybody ever taught your drumming? Or are you entirely self-taught?

Buddy Rich: I think that at the age of 2 it would be very difficult to teach. And because I pay attention to things I listened to so many pit drummers, at my early age, who played great vaudeville shows, that I learned a great deal from them. But I've never beent to a school. I've never had a particular drum teacher.

And so, as I got older, my talent evolved and I suppose I got better. I don't know how much better, but I think I got a little better.

RP: Who among jazz drummers influenced you most?

BR: I think everyone I've ever listened to. From Chick Webb, Krupa -- and I could go on and name a hundred drummers -- Dave Tough, Zutty Singleton, a couple of drummers over here [England] who were.... I was very impressed by Ronnie Verrill. One of my very good friends today is Kenny Clare.

There are many guys that I've admired and listened to a great deal, but finally, when I decided that that's what I wanted to do, I think I evolved into my own personality.​

It makes sense, doesn't it? And yet, these answers to one Great Music Mystery create another: All the times I've read or listened to Buddy Rich interviews, I never recall Buddy being asked, or volunteerubg to speak, about his childhood experience learning from the world's greatest pit drummers. That seems such a loss, such a missed opportunity.

If Buddy Rich's experience studying pit drummers does exist in print or audio -- I would love to read it or listen to it.

680703_spector_rich_downbeat.jpg

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Surely we all watch other drummers, that's probably why most of us started playing? That, and listening, are the two greatest learning tools we have as musicians.

I believe it. Being able to see and hear working players and picking their brains (if they were nice enough to let you) is invaluable. Teachers are great, but having a teacher take you out to see really good players is even better.

So don't try and teach your 2 YO, just take her to see drummers up close everyday is the message I'm getting.

So essentially he was watching and playing since 2 yrs old? This reminds me of something at work. I sell violins by day, where the Stradivari secret is a big deal. I've heard them all by now, but only one that made sense to me, spoken by a current American violin maker: "Strad's secret? That's easy. Spend your life making violins."

Buddy's secret? Spend your life playing drums.

I grew up in a musical family with a guitarist father. I never took academic guitar lessons. I picked up my dad's guitar at 4, and by 15 I could play pretty much whatever I wanted on the instrument.

Looking at today's guitarists on youtube (Chapman for example), I'm both impressed and unimpressed. They can blaze scales and do complicated things with great ease. I'm a bit envious of their mechanical ability. At the same time, they all sound lacking to my ear, and their ability to emote with the instrument sounds seriously compromised. There are exceptions (RJ Ronquillo), but most of them sound quite uncanny to me.

Intuition and ambition will get you pretty far when you're surrounded by instruments for 16h a day, and I'd rather listen to a sympathetic musician than a highly virtuous one.

I think if anyone is exposed to any activity enough something has to rub off. Buddy still had to have the talent or ability to play what he was exposed to but all of that watching would be like the golf pro whose son watched from the time he was three and just does better than the rest.

If there was ever one regret (among oh so many) it was not getting involved with Stanley Spectors teaching methods. What MIGHT I have accomplished. Does anyone else have any regrets about what you should or shouldn't have done that may have changed fate?. I kind of get that you reap what you sow..i need to start a woe is me club..im sure I could relate somehow to other members. It's never to late?..mmm...im sorry but sometimes yes. The Spector Spector involvement may have been a finger of fate tapping my shoulder and one of many regrets that I shunned. I'm one of the very best at not doing things.

I’d been studying drums with my teacher for a couple of years and was selected to audition for a 2yr scholarship to attend Drumtech (a London drum school) back in 1991. To cut a long story short I took the wrong stick bag with me. The only sticks I had were some novelty “tiger striped” 2B’s my mum bought me for a laugh! I felt a bit of a plonker playing “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy” in front of a room full of drummers with these awful obnoxious plastic coated monstrosities!! I recall Francis Seriau having a “What the heck have we got here?” look on his face! I regret not asking to borrow some proper sticks... I didn’t get the scholarship...?

I would like to say something on this subject....there are no secrets as it were regarding his talent and abilities...He was a savant when it came to his abilities on the drums.With that said there have been a million drummers who have started playing at extremely early ages alot of them famous by the way or semi well known and not one ever has come close to his technical command or virtuosity.His playing and approach was totally about sound and not about stickings, patterns,rudiments etc.,etc.He literally played the music what he was hearing.....played what the band was playing....and that was how he learned from a child to an adult...completely natural and emotion driven....a response or reflex with out thought or analysis to what he was playing.....all the myths and legends are true no lessons no practise no nothing just sit down and play....there have others such as Errol Garner on piano.But alot of what I have said has been stated by Buddy in various interviews over the years. you have to look between the lines

He learned from others first then tried to improve on it. Every skill, method , etc I learned from others I then tried to improve. Often those who showed me adopted my improvements - my 2D gel method, my PKC assay, etc. I learned from some of the best so the best I can do to honor them is try and improve it. It’s the craft thst sort of goes full circlle- and progress. Every giant stood on others shoulders.

Last edited:
I’d been studying drums with my teacher for a couple of years and was selected to audition for a 2yr scholarship to attend Drumtech (a London drum school) back in 1991. To cut a long story short I took the wrong stick bag with me. The only sticks I had were some novelty “tiger striped” 2B’s my mum bought me for a laugh! I felt a bit of a plonker playing “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy” in front of a room full of drummers with these awful obnoxious plastic coated monstrosities!! I recall Francis Seriau having a “What the heck have we got here?” look on his face! I regret not asking to borrow some proper sticks... I didn’t get the scholarship...?
Tiger sticks are GRRRRREAT*!Tony-tiger.jpg
*Your career prospects may be at risk, however.

Maybe Francis could have had an ever so slight change of facial gestures if Vinnie would have followed with cow spotted 5b's

I really think being exposed to real drums and drummers as a child was a key factor. Did he have natural talent? Absolutely. I doubt it would have developed as it did had he not had that early exposure.

I had never seen a "real" drummer, in person, when I started drum lessons at age 11 or 12. I'd basically only heard records, and I had no idea what made the sounds I was hearing. It added a lot of challenge to an already daunting task.

To be exposed to it at a time when the language centers of the brain are developing would be a HUGE boon.

Back