Bob Moses

Matt Suda

I saw Ra-Kalam Bob Moses perform last night. He moved to Memphis a few years ago and in that time has been mentoring local artists, including Art Edmaiston.

IMG_1895.jpeg

He’s been mentioned in a few comments over the years, but as far as I can tell, doesn’t have a dedicated thread.

Any listening recommendations?

Bob is amazing, I met him in person first time around 1985 (although I have been listening to him since the early 70´s), in Hamburg, with his own group, and had a great encounter with him while I was playing a gig in New York in 1991.

Plays awesome and is a very nice guy! His intensity is legendary!

I too studied w/Bob around 1980 at Creative Music. If you want to call it studying..
Its more perceptual & conceptual realities given..that you will remember decades later as the most valuable stuff ever..
btw..
There are only 2 or 3 drummers that I dont get 100% bored of when they solo past a min or 2..
Bob is one of them..he can go on for a hour and still be showing you the universe..
After the first couple of lessons w/Bob..he just played piano and I played drums...after a couple of lessons of that...he said..
Get the fk outta here and do some gigs..
And that was that...lol..
Also..
Some folks just dont get Bob at all..
A student of mine who is a symphonic percussionist now and Univ professor..he hated Bob..said he didnt learn anything from him..
When he told me that I thought..hmmm...I guess you just didnt understand that guy..too bad..

Got it in the basement. I'm gonna get it and see if it doesn't connect with me more now. I was to immature and scatterbrained to absorb it then. I'm thrilled that this thread got posted.
Yes indeed. The ideas presented in his book resonate much more as an adult then they did when I read the book back in the 80’s.
’‘ youth is wasted on the young”

Last edited:
Back