Best drumming album of all time?

Well this thread started in 2005, and has been re-visited periodicaly as more extraordinary drummers are shining on a specific album or because (that' my case) a newbie went down the archives to look for interesting reading.

I've read loads of posts, and there's definitely some masterpiece within this thread :))

So here's my current best drumming album of all time:

Hiromi Trio Project album "Voice", Hiromi Uehara: Piano, Anthony Jackson: Bass, Simon Phillips: Drums.

Incredible music, Hiromi's jazzy material is utterly musical, modern, innovative and beautiful and the skills, feels and musicality of these three wonderful musicians are from another world such is the interaction and complicity between them throughout each and every songs in this album.

For me, it is by far my favourite recording of my long time "spiritual" drumming mentor, Simon Phillips. :))

Well this thread started in 2005, and has been re-visited periodicaly as more extraordinary drummers are shining on a specific album or because (that' my case) a newbie went down the archives to look for interesting reading.

I've read loads of posts, and there's definitely some masterpiece within this thread :))

So here's my current best drumming album of all time:

Hiromi Trio Project album "Voice", Hiromi Uehara: Piano, Anthony Jackson: Bass, Simon Phillips: Drums.

Incredible music, Hiromi's jazzy material is utterly musical, modern, innovative and beautiful and the skills, feels and musicality of these three wonderful musicians are from another world such is the interaction and complicity between them throughout each and every songs in this album.

For me, it is by far my favourite recording of my long time "spiritual" drumming mentor, Simon Phillips. :))

I'd just like, for what it's worth, to add my vote to this. A musical musicians masterclass for the soul!

I have not browsed the 8 pages here, two memorable ones for me:

Genesis Seconds Out, Chester Thompson make his mega kit sound so good, I think these are the original Bubinga Sonor's.

Magna Carta / Levin, Bozzio and Stevens. i never knew Billy Idol's guitar was this calibre of a player, Levin is great on everything he does, Terry Bozzio wrote the book on dynamic builds in this CD, one song starts with roto toms, but sounds like tabla, Stevens is playing a classical guitar piece, the song gently builds into this monster room filling barrage of music.

I suggest Rush - Moving Pictures. Neil Peart took drumming to new heights with this album. If you can listen to "YYZ" without tapping your feet, beating your hands on your legs, and nodding your head, you have no pulse.

Bonus Trivia Question: Do you know what the significance of the letters "YYZ" is in reference to the song?

Moving Pictures was the first album that popped into my mind as well.

And to the question, yyz is the letters that are typed out in morse code for airplanes landing in Toronto.

im glad i kept reading till i found the answer to OP question, i didnt know that the YYZ stood for Torontos airport code or whatever, but also YYZ in morse code forms the rhythm for the beginning of the song?! thats awesome.

'Foldings' by Tetuzi Akiyama, Toshimaru Nakamura, Mark Wastell and Taku Sigimoto.

You heard me right.

I know enough not even to argue about this stuff with you anymore. Carry on buddy. :)

I just look at things in a different way to most other people. I do enjoy being deliberately obtuse sometimes too, though!

I just look at things in a different way to most other people. I do enjoy being deliberately obtuse sometimes too, though!
Hey man, be obtuse as you want to be. It is a free world on here. You have helped me learn that. Thanks man. :) Hope you are going to have a great Christmas.

Do enjoy your Christmas too. I'm going to do my best to not get into any arguments in real life or otherwise!

Back