Best drumming album of all time?

There have already been so many great albums posted, so I'll just try to think of some that haven't been said:

-Vinnie Colaiuta- Vinnie Colaiuta (drummer: Vinnie Colaiuta)
-Jeff Beck- Live at Ronnie Scott's (drummer: Vinnie Colaiuta)
-Atomship- The Crash of '47 (drummer: Chad Kent)
-Karnivool- Sound Awake (drummer: Steve Judd)
-Between the Buried and Me- The Great Misdirect, Colors (drummer: Blake Richardson)
-Pat Metheny Trio- Tokyo Day Trip (drummer: Antonio Sanchez)

I won't say that it's the best, but for some of the most inspired and ultimate drumming I've ever heard I always turn to Elvin Jones on "A Love Supreme," just for the drumming. I still get chills when I listen to that man play on that record. The way he plays, it's almost beyond description. Genius. Flat out intuitive genius. "Pursuance" is just blindingly great jazz drumming.

What single album had the most technically and musically excellent drumming that tied the music together while advancing style and still rocking your socks off?

I suggest Rush - Moving Pictures. Neil Peart took drumming to new heights with this album. If you can listen to "YYZ" without tapping your feet, beating your hands on your legs, and nodding your head, you have no pulse.

Bonus Trivia Question: Do you know what the significance of the letters "YYZ" is in reference to the song?

I have to agree here. I remember the first time I heard "Moving Pictures." I remember how floored I was at how dominant and prominant the drums were on this album. Just an amazing recording of the drums. And, I believe this was the beginning of my "air drumming" addiction.

I, personally, enjoy "Limelight" from Moving Pictures. I never get tired of listening to that song.

I have to agree here. I remember the first time I heard "Moving Pictures." I remember how floored I was at how dominant and prominant the drums were on this album. Just an amazing recording of the drums. And, I believe this was the beginning of my "air drumming" addiction.

I, personally, enjoy "Limelight" from Moving Pictures. I never get tired of listening to that song.

"momentum" bu Joshua redman. Don't know if it's the best given the amount of real jazz records out there, but it is quite a drumming album! heres two links to songs on that youtube.

Shut your mouth- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQR-YOW_6mQ
Sweet nasty- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYs2NmRQmjQ&feature=related

Rush- All The Worlds A Stage

First off, I just wanted to say that I stumbled on this thread (I really cannot remmeber how) and it prompted me to sign up to the MB :)

I've been drumming about 28 years, and while I think in some regards I'm decent, other times I realize I suck compared to all the great drummers named here (and many more that probably haven't been mentioned).

I have to say that Moving Pictures was a watershed album for me, and every other drummer in my general age range. It's the album that made my brain explode for the first time. So, top to bottom, it's hard to beat based on the criteria put out in this question. But I did want to throw out some names for conversations sake.

"Condemed", Steve Shelton (Confessor) - Very unique approach to contructing parts for songs. The song condemed still blows me away every time I hear it. Listen to a stream here: http://www.confessorband.com/condemned.html

"Blizzard of Oz", Lee Kerslake (Ozzy) - One of the underrated rock drummers of our time. Played with power and feel.

"She", Raymond Weber (Harry Connick, Jr) - Tasty grooves throughout the entire album. I love his understated style.

"In Abstensia", Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree) - Fits in lots of interesting notes, but not to the point where he is overplaying. Standout track to me is "The Sound of Muzak". To me is sums up everything I love about Gavin's approach to drums.

"Stoner Witch", Dale C (Melvins) - A great, very unique drummer. Plays heavy, plays slow, creates very unique parts . Stand-out track s are "Revolve", "Roadbull", and "At The Stake"

Wow, I could go on. Ive been listening to many of the recomendations here. Just got turned on to the band Morphine and love it! That's the best part about these typoe discussions. Now, I hang my head in shame of not being familiar with Elvin Jones. It appears I must get educated right quick!

I know I'm a little late to this game but here's my take on it. These are the albums that I have consistently turned to for inspiration throughout the past 30 years.

Get the Knack, The Knack: The late great Bruce Gary
Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin: The late great John Bonham
Eat to the Beat, Blondie: Clem Burke
Back in Black, AC/DC: Phil Rudd
Crash and Burn, Pat Travers: Tommy Aldridge
Unleashed in the East, Judas Priest: Les Binks
Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden: Clive Burr
Exit Stage Left, Rush: Neil Peart
Spring Session M, Missing Persons: Terry Bozzio
Truth or Soul, Fishbone: Phillip "Fish" Fisher
Ghost of a Dog, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians: Matt Chamberlain
Badmotorfinger, Soungarden: Matt Cameron
Train of Thought, Dream Theater: Mike Portnoy
Blast Tyrant, Clutch: Jean Paul Gaster

Juturna - Circa Survive (Steve Clifford)
On Letting Go - Circa Survive (Steve Clifford)

Steve pretty much owns these albums. His drumming so technical, but far from over the top. It's just really nice to hear that precision, skill and feeling in a drummer.

Manipulator - The Fall Of Troy (Andrew Forsman)
Doppelganger - The Fall of Troy (Andrew Forsman)
Phantom on the Horizon - The Fall of Troy (Andrew Forsman

Very underrated. This guy supports two of the most technical musicians I've ever heard in modern music and pulls it off profoundly.

De-Loused in the Comatorium - The Mars Volta (Thomas Pridgen)

Need I say more?

Old World Underground - Metric (Joules Scott-Key)

Lays down very groovy beats.

Last edited:
Great mentions, in addition:

In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head - Deep Purple

Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Hell Bent For Leather - Judas Priest

I, II, III - Led Zeppelin

Revolver, For Sale - The Beatles

Paranoid, Vol.4, Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath

A day at the races, A night in the opera, News of the world - Queen

Back