Best drumming album of all time?

OldStampK

Hi All,

Aren't there a lot of great drummers ! A lifetime worth of listening.

But when it comes to choosing 1 only, there is 1 only:

"Gong" is the band
"You" is the album

Please have a listen to (the late) Pierre Moerlen on this album !!
- pulsing rythms, exploding fills and weaving melodies of mallet percussion
- entrancing but note it takes a few mins to build into the real drum bits

Hercules@Studi01
Nice to hear Pierre getting his due. I've been a fan of his for years. You is a great album for drumming. So is Angel's Egg.

Snook

LP from yellowcard?

I like the band, and hes a very good punk drummer but PLEASE do not throw him into the mix with this thread! Seriously, lol.

:)

My pics are Dream Theater - Various - Portnoy doesn't play anything amazingly complicated but wow hes tight and puts down groove into metal thats awesome
Dave Matthews Live Trax - Various - Carter = awesome groove and feel

sanzo2112

I know opinions are acceptable nowaday but the title did say "best drumming album" so I think Neil peart and Rush should feature in every page, they are the greatest..ever

HoosierRobert

The criteria is "the most technically and musically excellent drumming"

Great suggestions so far, but I'm interpreting "musically excellent" as furthering the song with a unique and individual sound, style and drive. That said, my suggestions may polarize this discussion:

Phil Collins (as a drummer not a singer) - Peter Gabriel - third album or "Melt", Genesis - "Seconds Out", or Brand X - "Unorthodox Behaviour" - come on, the guy reinvented drum sounds twice with his melodic use of concert toms and then his gated snare work with Steve Lillywhite.

Kenny Aronoff - John Mellencamp - "Scarecrow" - the rebirth of live sounds (no more towels) and energetic, passionate drumming supporting the song context.

Terry Bozzio - Missing Persons - "Spring Session M" - all the songs were written around the drum groove and its melodic approach. His work wrote the definitive chapter on the syn-drum sound so much so that electronic drums were relegated to cliched' hip-hop sounds or local circuit or praise bands with sound problems.

Let the salvos fly...

lordwampus

Hands down, no competition: The Green Mindbomb by Marco Minneman.

Not only are all the drum parts tremendously technical, he plays most of the other instrumental parts as well. Cross-cut grooves, phasing, polyrythms and more abound in a powerhouse of raw drumming talent.

I've been working on a few tracks - mainly the opening track "streets" and track five "hair off" - for a couple years now and am still trying to iron out the kinks. Just working out how he's counting his beat in relation to the rest of the music is hard enough. When you add his dauntingly fast chops and rolls into the mix - it doesn't get any better.

Marco Minneman truly is (as he is known) a "Super-Drummer" and well deserved is that title.

ccsimms

Mongrel by The Number Twelve Looks Like You (Jon Karel)

So many displays of different genres and techniques, excellent album.

For me it's anything by-

Buddy Rich
John bonham - Led Zeppelin
Bill Ward - Black Sabbath
Neil Peart - Rush
Igor Cavalera - Sepultura / Cavalera Conspiracy
Abe Cunningham - Deftones
Roy Mayorga - Soulfly / Stone Sour
Dave McClain - Machine Head
Dave Weckl - The Dave Weckl Band
Matthew McDonough - Mudvayne
Danny Carey - Tool
Chris Adler - Lamb of God

Ya I like all types.
But all are KILLER drummers.

RollingStone000

Silver Member
Zach Hill's Astrological Straits, it's a very weird album and you'd have to be into noise/math rock stuff (which I'm not big on myself). Although every time I listen to it, which isn't often, my jaw hits the floor.

Bradastronaut

Omg im so glad "hold your horse is" has been mentioned, Zach hill compliments the guitars so well on this album, the more you listen to it the clearer it is that hes not just playing as fast as he can, the mans a genius whos brought something completely new to drumming. But lets not forget spencer! His guitar work gives that album such a layered sound, its hard to believe its just a guitar and drum behind the mayhem.

I dunno if anyone will agree, but since the best drumming albums i could have thought of have already been mentioned i have no other choice. As a fan of punk rock and punk drumming i gotta mention my favourite drumming album from that genre..."hoss" by lagwagon, Derrick Plourde's last lag album and his best, its just so full of amazing parts that are NEVER found in punk. Rifle and move the car have gotta be the best on that album for me. Also the album "death and taxes: volume 1" by Jaws, another one of Derricks albums, though not punk, still awesome and full of great parts (the fills in polarity and the final minute of small games is amazing)..if anyones interested check that out!

Oh and bedlam in goliath by the mars volta is great, despite me not being a fan of the album, i love the drumming on it. Although im a bigger fan of theyre previous albums with jon theodore, thomas is just beyond amazing.

Im also a fan of simpler drumming, i like playing along to bad religions "suffer" to try and add my own fills where they arent.

Bradastronaut

Zach Hill's Astrological Straits, it's a very weird album and you'd have to be into noise/math rock stuff (which I'm not big on myself). Although every time I listen to it, which isn't often, my jaw hits the floor.
Yes! Full of amazing songs, a great mish mash of genres. Ive been listening to that album quite a bit the last few weeks. Its hard to describe how brilliant the drumming on it is.

shrink

Well a late comer to this thread.. but here are a few of my choices:

Dave Brubeck's - Time out and Time further out albums (Jo Morello in superb form)
Led Zeppelin - 1 though 4, bonham at his boogiest best, with subtle yet powerful playing.
Steely Dan - the royal scam, great funky beats
Queens of the stone age - songs for the deaf

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Too hard! Not the best, I'm sure, but some albums where I really enjoyed the drumming (amongst hundreds of others):

Bill Bruford on Discipline
Pierre Moerlen on Gong's Downwind and Shamal
Ian Paice on Machine Head
Keith at Leeds
Steely Dan's Aja
Herbie Hancock's Headhunters
Sgt Pepper

Last edited:
R

Random Name 123

The Clash - London Calling

Flawless, tasteful and diverse: included in the album is a bluesy jazz shuffle, played to perfection. Rocky sextuplets. Reggae cross sticking, funk grooves, plenty of very sharp hi-hat work. Punk and rock beats, straight and swung.

Nobody would ever nominate Topper Headon's playing for the most difficult of all time by actual notation (although there are some tricky bits in there for even great drummers), but it's his professional touch, restraint and timing that makes it hard to replicate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz1Zjaqhu3s

bpumpkin

I'm probably going to get laughed at for this but Take Off Your Pants And Jacket by Blink 182 has some exceptional drumming on it by Travis Barker. I'm not one of those people that think Travis is the greatest drummer in the world nor is Blink 182 anywhere close to being one of my favorite bands, but I do own that album mainly because of the Travis's drumming on it. You can't listen to that album start to finish and deny that he has some serious talent.

vegassuper

"Drums Around the Corner": Art Blakey, Philly Joe Jones and Roy Haynes on the same album, throw in Lee Morgan on trumpet, Bobby Timmons on piano and Jymie Merritt on bass...swingin'.

Derek

Silver Member
Too hard! Not the best, I'm sure, but some albums where I really enjoyed the drumming (amongst hundreds of others):

Bill Bruford on Discipline
Pierre Moerlen on Gong's Downwind and Shamal
Ian Paice on Machine Head
Keith at Leeds
Steely Dan's Aja
Herbie Hancock's Headhunters
Sgt Pepper
Hi Polly!

It always brings a smile to me to find another fan of "Headhunters" (I know there are many).
Harvey Mason is one of my favorites of all time.