Being too self-critical?

eric_B

Lately I have been taking some recordings while practicing songs (preparing for an upcoming gig).
I notice that while playing I'm thinking I'm making quite some mistakes (playing way too fast/slow, bad timing, fills not syncing, whatever).
However, when I listen back, I don't hear it.
If there is an issue, it usually is about microtiming, which an audience won't even notice.

Any thoughts?

If I notice it when I play, I always assume everyone else will, too. I know it won’t make you feel any better but underestimating the audience is a musical pet peeve of mine, so I tend to err on the side of giving them the credit. I know not everyone will notice but some will.

^^ This ^^
I'm always listening to myself when I'm playing, but it's easy to cripple yourself with over analysis, over think things.
If I heard mistakes on the recordings, bad timing etc I WOULD severely critique myself (and do).
Besides my creative side (as in music and other creative hobbies), I have an (over) analytical mind .
Therefore I also have a good job (in the financial business - no mistakes allowed).

It also is an interesting discussion what defines a mistake (in music): is slightly pulling or pushing already one?

When I'm playing drums I'm almost in a working state of mind where (tiny) mistakes are not allowed.
Listening back, I ease up more.

There are mistakes and there are mistakes.
Yeah, going to a chorus instead of a bridge is a mistake. Dropping a beat in the middle of a fill so that you come back in ahead of the band is a mistake.
However, if you never go for something that might not come off, the music scene would be a very dull place. In concert I might rush a fill a little, or play something a bit scrabbly, but that's because I'm trying something new, always trying to add another level to the show.
I played with someone once who claimed they never made a mistake, and they were very uninspiring to play with.
Creativity isn't like being a surgeon or pilot. Mistakes are part of innovation.Comedians test out new material in small clubs, and 75% doesn't work.

OK, a simple one, but burn me to the ground :p

It depends on what your goals are, and how much time you plan on devoting to it. It's perfectly fine playing if you're doing it as a hobby, in which case I'd be working on not being so critical-- to the extent that it's interfering with your enjoyment of it.

If you're very ambitious with your playing and have a lot of time to be working on it, then being very critical is fine, so long as it's not messing with you actually doing the playing.

It depends on what your goals are, and how much time you plan on devoting to it. It's perfectly fine playing if you're doing it as a hobby, in which case I'd be working on not being so critical-- to the extent that it's interfering with your enjoyment of it.

If you're very ambitious with your playing and have a lot of time to be working on it, then being very critical is fine, so long as it's not messing with you actually doing the playing.
I play for a hobby, recently joined a 'hobby band' again after a decade long break.
We play for fun/practice (almost) every week and have some gigs coming up and want to continue that.
That being said, my mindside always is to be the best you can be so you have to work on that.

Still curious: what did you think of the recordings?

I have an (over) analytical mind .
Then, instead of analyzing your notes, analyze your overall body movement to the tunes. Close your eyes, turn down the drums all the way in your 'phones/IEM gear. Listen and move to the music. Do a complete run-through without any fills and analyze how the music feels to you.

Edit: I watched/listened to the video. You're hesitant in various sections of the tune, as if you don't know what to do. When this happens to me, it's 'cuz I'm still fleshing out my part ("Ooooh, what will this sound like?")

Edit: I watched/listened to the video. You're hesitant in various sections of the tune, as if you don't know what to do. When this happens to me, it's 'cuz I'm still fleshing out my part ("Ooooh, what will this sound like?")
To me it feels I'm pushing and pulling in that take, not really hesitating.

When I'm playing drums I'm almost in a working state of mind where (tiny) mistakes are not allowed.
Listening back, I ease up more.

That's the key: state of mind. If there were legitimate issues with your parts, they would be apparent enough to also hear them on playback. Focus is important when playing, but analyzing everything you play as you're playing it leads to the kind of uncertainties you're having.

I know it's easy to just say relax, so I'll say it... RELAX! Be in the moment when you play, but try not to be the moment. Listen to the music as a whole, not just to your part on drums.

In the studio (where parts matter the most when committed to 'tape' for a mass audience) and live (where video/audio synch and bandmembers rely on me to keep everything tight), I often work with a click. I do this successfully because my state of mind is not about staying with the click, as much as about playing with the click as if it was another drummer next to me. That is, I focus more on the music as whole than on my parts alone. I'm not overly-occupied with every single hit lining up with the click... it would drive me nuts and be distracting. I'm under the gun for every show, yet I'm never nervous or over-analytical about my role in making music. I'm just playing, and so far in my 50+ year career, everyone seems to think I'm doing a good job. Am I complacent about that? You bet! I'm obviously doing something right. :)

So state of mind is really the key here. You know your parts are good because they sound good when listening objectively (ie; not from behind the kit while generating those parts.)

Just be more part of the music, play along with the band or the click or whatever, and ease up on yourself a little. You should be concerned with playing well, just not so much while you're actually doing it! 😮

To me it feels I'm pushing and pulling in that take, not really hesitating.
What occurs after striking a hesitant note on the kit? A rush to get back on tempo. Pull/push.

There are mistakes and there are mistakes.
Yeah, going to a chorus instead of a bridge is a mistake. Dropping a beat in the middle of a fill so that you come back in ahead of the band is a mistake.
However, if you never go for something that might not come off, the music scene would be a very dull place. In concert I might rush a fill a little, or play something a bit scrabbly, but that's because I'm trying something new, always trying to add another level to the show.
I played with someone once who claimed they never made a mistake, and they were very uninspiring to play with.
Creativity isn't like being a surgeon or pilot. Mistakes are part of innovation.Comedians test out new material in small clubs, and 75% doesn't work.
Totally agree. You should take chances when it's appropriate. Maybe you are being too critical of yourself.

Back