Band struggles

So, I'm the drummer for my band, Archangels. we haven't got to play any gigs yet, because of one thing.

I feel confident enough in my drumming to be able to do a gig, but the 2 guitar players are not.

the first guitar player can play rock, but he's obsessed with rock, and in his mind all other music is bad. he also isn't that good at playing. even I could do better.

and the second one will not play anything but classical, i cannot convince him to even touch an electric guitar.

Should I join a different band, or hope that they will get better?

(Update) we tried to do a practice, and the lead guitarist ragequit. looking for new bands )

Last edited:
Cost / benefit analysis time. Is it worth your effort and time to try and move the both of them to get the sound you want?
Only you can answer that question. If I may read between the lines, it sounds like you might already know the answer and are close to bailing out on this gig.

yeah...right now it sounds like 3 friends who all play instruments that are just sitting next to each other in a room.

all 3 of you need to find the right people to be with.

it took me 3 iterations of groups before the right one clicked. It was always me - as the drummer - wanting to take it seriously, and the other guys wanting to "wear the clothes"...

when it was time to move on from one to another, I would just tell people: "no hard feelings, but we are not seeing the same end result here" and move on.

Should you join a different band?

By all means.

If your playing goals don't align, it's not meant to be. Off you pop.

Move on...things likely won't change.

and the second one will not play anything but classical, i cannot convince him to even touch an electric guitar.

"Classical"? Aren't you guys in high school? It's very unusual that anyone plays only classical (Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, etc...) on guitar and extremely unusual for a high school kid to only play classical music on guitar. Do you perhaps mean he only plays an "acoustic" guitar? Maybe he plays classic rock on an acoustic guitar? This is important to know for us to give you advice.

So, I'm the drummer for my band, Archangels. we haven't got to play any gigs yet, because of one thing.

I feel confident enough in my drumming to be able to do a gig, but the 2 guitar players are not.

the first guitar player can play rock, but he's obsessed with rock, and in his mind all other music is bad. he also isn't that good at playing. even I could do better.

This doesn't sound like a real scenario. Why would a classical guitar play consider themselves part of a "band" with a rock guitarist and a drummer? Makes no sense?

Something is off kilter with this thread.

Hit the road dude. You're on a hiding to nothing with these guys. Find like minded souls and enjoy yourself. Life is too short!

Sounds like one guy is crap and the other has an elitist attitude. Not worth the ball ache. Anyone on bass? Sounds like the crappy rock guitarist is getting that job and will suck even worse on bass!

I'm curious if any playing has happened or the bong has just got passed around a lot!

I bet they are really afraid of looking bad. Normal - experience is the process of releasing that.

before pulling the plug, consider working up a song...with the intention of having other trusted friends hear it.

This might touch something off..but only you can determine if it is worth the effort.

Over time I have learned that the hardest thing in getting a project moving is to hook the other players into the pleasure cycle of 'making music'...unless you are lucky enough to draw from a pool of motivated people(not usually the case in smaller areas).

Even when people are motivated, the reasons for motivation are widely varied and can conflict.

The best idea to keep is that you don't want to burn bridges while not wasting too much time.

If only music was about playing music.

If you aren't all interested in playing the same style of music, it's gonna be a challenge. I suppose the bottom line is what are your aspirations? To play out? Or just sist around together? Answer that, and you'll probably answer your primary question...

Back