Are High End Drums a Giant Waste of Money?

as far as high end you go after tone- once you hit your tone-mark- you quit;
some are never fully satisfied so some companies keep trying to please
other companies have a norm standard and also keep it a part of their offerings for 200 years

Last edited:
But they don't buy drums.

Fleetwood and other endorsers are marketing expenses, not customers.
Not always true. I believe Neil Peart paid for the drums from that 500 year old tree he got. And only the top of the top echelon get free sets and sometimes not even if someone makes a set they want badly enough but doesn’t or can’t afford to do endorsements.

Nice kit, I think the mods should ask Bernard to make this statement a large banner on the top of the forum...it would eliminate a lot of the BS from a few idoits on here.
How about just a list of Idiots? and we go block ourselves..

How do you add anything after all of the responses. The sheer beauty of some high end kits are so tempting!..but in the end its all just lipstick on a prostitute. BUT...the shells on a phonic kit..the edges..the sound..its anything BUT..lipstick. C.R.Jones is a Pearl fanatic and I love his enthusiasm..im the same only a phonic fan. It IS (C.R.) Jones right?.

Agree, and I don’t consider myself a working drummer because I sure can’t live on my earnings from gigs, but some of us will still bring out the high-end kits for regular club gigs. View attachment 125022

I wasn't referring to high-end drums. I have two high-end kits myself.

The comment was to Chris Whitten's comment about the ubber high-end specialty limited exotic finishes with gold hardware and such aspects that don't actually affect the sound but significantly drive up the price.

I wasn't referring to high-end drums. I have two high-end kits myself.

The comment was to Chris Whitten's comment about the ubber high-end specialty limited exotic finishes with gold hardware and such aspects that don't actually affect the sound but significantly drive up the price.
Sorry for the confusion. As I understood your statement, I agreed with it. As a general rule, high-end drums are not sold to working drummers. I wanted to put a marker down though that there are exceptions, and that some of us do actually use these kits for shows.

How do you add anything after all of the responses. The sheer beauty of some high end kits are so tempting!..but in the end its all just lipstick on a prostitute. BUT...the shells on a phonic kit..the edges..the sound..its anything BUT..lipstick. C.R.Jones is a Pearl fanatic and I love his enthusiasm..im the same only a phonic fan. It IS (C.R.) Jones right?.
I’d expect my cheap prostitute to wear lip stick as well !!!!

The audience basically doesn't know the difference in expensive vs normal prices for drums. After playing normal kits for a while, I came to the conclusion that it's no different for me using pricey drums. No one ever messed with any of my kits, so I choose to use my best stuff. They are just drums. It's crazy to not use them out is my stance. Like having a Corvette that stays in the garage except for the few days it gets taken out per year. Why bother?

Back