Anyone Else Find Cheap, Older Pedals Sometimes Better?

dfairley

Maybe I'm the only person who experiences this but over the years I have often found it much easier to play older, cheap kick pedals. I have a Tama Speed Cobra 910 which is a great pedal; however, it seems that when ever I go to a jam session where I end up playing the cheaper hardware that's already there...I find that my abilities seem somewhat enhanced! I often find it easier to do ostinatos and over all it just seems like these cheap pedals respond faster to both singles and doubles.

Does this make any sense? Could it be that the long boards are not for me? Maybe it's because these older, cheaper pedals are lighter and thus...more response for me.

This has got me looking at buying a cheap Yamaha pedal or maybe the Sonor JoJo Mayer 'Perfect Balance' pedal....which seems like it mimics the lighter touch of older pedals with rounder cams. Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts?

Reactions: A J
well the thought might be
they still make simple/simpler pedals New

"Thank goodness!!"

still has some features;
and a price that's 'right..

I used to be in love with Speed Kings but I've really come to appreciate how much smoother modern pedals are. Particularly the DW 5000. Just so much less effort to do the same things.

thats' more an answer of design; Speed King's were never lower level (they were Ludwig's top level)
many if not all (makers) -to this day- have a design copy of the old vintage Martin Fleetfoot/Gretsch/Camco pedal.

Last edited:
The lightest weight Pearl bass drum pedals were my absolute favorite during the 80s. Just beater height and spring tension adjustments. Great feel to them.
DW 5000 with included beater was way too heavy-feeling for me..
I use and love the Redline Eliminators, after time spent with the adjustments for customization.

My cheap go-to pedal is a strap driven Tama Flexi-Flyer from 1978. I take care of it and use it every now and then. But even my normal pedals are considered older: I have a pair of old Yamaha FP8210’s - which are basically their cheapest chain drive pedals that you can still get new for $70 - but mounted on a plate. They’re rock solid too.

I try new pedals every blue moon or so, but I usually always go back to what I’m used to. I was big with DW as well, owning several 5000/9000 pedals over time. After a while they all feel the same and I can play on anything.

I had a Tama Camco that was pretty nice. I think Camco is where DW got its designed from. I believe they bought all the Camco rights or tooling or something like that. It seems like Tama had one thing from Camco and DW had the other part of camco.

little history here..

Martin Fleetfoot (I thought was British) (it's Minneapolis, Mn.

I've played an awful lot of pedals, but the first real one I ever got in the 70s, a Pearl, still feels like home. It's powerful, fast, and a strap drive.

Dan

I played an old Slingerland pedal for 50 years. Then in about 2010 when I got back into drumming as a full time player, I brought a DW9000 pedal. Oh boy, it had lots of cool adjustments!! It took a while but I got it set up just the way I wanted it. I played the 9000 for about 10 years. Then a couple of years ago I realized that the 9000, although a nice smooth pedal, was slowing down my bass drum speed. Too much mechanical weight, too many adjustments I never needed. So now I use a DW3000. It is lighter, faster and simpler.

I played an old Slingerland pedal for 50 years. Then in about 2010 when I got back into drumming as a full time player, I brought a DW9000 pedal. Oh boy, it had lots of cool adjustments!! It took a while but I got it set up just the way I wanted it. I played the 9000 for about 10 years. Then a couple of years ago I realized that the 9000, although a nice smooth pedal, was slowing down my bass drum speed. Too much mechanical weight, too many adjustments I never needed. So now I use a DW3000. It is lighter, faster and simpler.

I realized the same thing with the DW9000 - it’s pretty hefty. But I was ok with how it felt. But I’ve also tried the Axis’s and Trick pedals - and those were light and incredible. I suppose the pedal in-between the light and heavy crowd is that new Yamaha FP9 - incredibly smooth and light - but also $350!

The lightest weight Pearl bass drum pedals were my absolute favorite during the 80s. Just beater height and spring tension adjustments. Great feel to them.
DW 5000 with included beater was way too heavy-feeling for me..
I use and love the Redline Eliminators, after time spent with the adjustments for customization.
Your comment about the DW 5000 feeling way too heavy for you may speak to what I am experiencing. I used to own a DW9000 pedal but after a few years I decided to sell it because to me it all just seemed too heavy. Even with a light spring tension the overall feel was heavy. I think that may support my feeling that I just seem to find older, simpler pedals to be faster. Again, not sure if I am the odd duck here but that seems to be what comes across to me. Maybe it's the lightness that I like and maybe a modern, direct drive pedal is where I would be most at home. Like an Axis pedal or something. Don't know though and am trying to figure this out.

I've played an awful lot of pedals, but the first real one I ever got in the 70s, a Pearl, still feels like home. It's powerful, fast, and a strap drive.

Dan
Do you think that the feeling of it being "fast" is related to the overall lower mass of the design? Maybe that's why these jam session, junk pedals seem so responsive to me.

Do you have a sense as to what about the DW9000 was slowing you down? Was it the heavy weight of the overall mechanisms involved? Any sense of what it was?

I realized the same thing with the DW9000 - it’s pretty hefty. But I was ok with how it felt. But I’ve also tried the Axis’s and Trick pedals - and those were light and incredible. I suppose the pedal in-between the light and heavy crowd is that new Yamaha FP9 - incredibly smooth and light - but also $350!
Your comment about the DW9000 "heft" is not the first time I have read about that. I had one but after a while I felt it was not for me. To me it did seem too hefty and I am pretty sure that's why I sold it. Maybe I am just one of those players who would prefer a lighter feeling pedal which does seem to align with my positive experiences with some pretty cheap, older pedals. A lot of them just seem to respond quickly with less effort (as compared to other pedals I have or have had, including a DW9000 and my current Tama Speed Cobra).

And if I recall, I do believe that some of my past positive experiences have been with older Yamaha pedals. But I am interested in the newer Yamaha FP9C as well as the the Sonor JoJo Mayer 'Perfect Balance' pedal. I am wondering if these will provide that non-hefty feeling that some other pedals seem to offer.

They don't have to be old for me. Cheap is necessary.

I've been getting along with the Yamaha 7210 with the belt for many of years just fine. I purchased one of them for $35.00 brand new and a backup for $50.00 as prices went up.

My total dollar limit is the line above this FP8500B. I have a couple of these that I purchased years ago for about 125. and I thought I was crazy spending that.

Low end Yamaha 6110 and 7210 pedals can be great! Actually I think with proper lubing and tightening of joints, they will not lag far behind any modern, high-end pedals. That is, unless you like a special design, like I do my Speed King, and no lower-end pedal copies that design.

I used to be in love with Speed Kings but I've really come to appreciate how much smoother modern pedals are. Particularly the DW 5000. Just so much less effort to do the same things.
I believe that for the OP it might be how light some cheaper pedals are when compared to higher end modern pedals. Beefier pedals of course have more mass which logically makes them heavier, and I mean heavier from the playing standpoint not just dead weight wise.
I do agree on how modern pedals have much more strict tolerances and therefore are smoother when played. (No lag and not rattle).
One other thing may be how the pedals are setup, maybe the OP uses his pedal spring tension quite high when compared to how a backline pedal might be setup, usually those are placed on the bass drum and never touch much again so they should be at a lower tension. both of those things creating that easier to play feel...

My cheap go-to pedal is a strap driven Tama Flexi-Flyer from 1978. I take care of it and use it every now and then. But even my normal pedals are considered older: I have a pair of old Yamaha FP8210’s - which are basically their cheapest chain drive pedals that you can still get new for $70 - but mounted on a plate. They’re rock solid too.

I try new pedals every blue moon or so, but I usually always go back to what I’m used to. I was big with DW as well, owning several 5000/9000 pedals over time. After a while they all feel the same and I can play on anything.
Can you play this?

Attachments

• big drum.jpg
    big drum.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2
Your comment about the DW9000 "heft" is not the first time I have read about that. I had one but after a while I felt it was not for me. To me it did seem too hefty and I am pretty sure that's why I sold it. Maybe I am just one of those players who would prefer a lighter feeling pedal which does seem to align with my positive experiences with some pretty cheap, older pedals. A lot of them just seem to respond quickly with less effort (as compared to other pedals I have or have had, including a DW9000 and my current Tama Speed Cobra).

And if I recall, I do believe that some of my past positive experiences have been with older Yamaha pedals. But I am interested in the newer Yamaha FP9C as well as the the Sonor JoJo Mayer 'Perfect Balance' pedal. I am wondering if these will provide that non-hefty feeling that some other pedals seem to offer.
I know the Yamaha feels really light - they use a very light beater compared to DW. I had the direct drive of the Yamaha and it felt great.

Back