70's Rock Gretsch?

Alan Myers of Devo played a 5pc Gretsch kit before he switched to Yamaha in 79.

Interestingly in China, the brand "Ludwig" used to be tied with jazz (despite some local hard rockers endorsing them), whereas Tama, DW, Mapex, etc. are associated with rock music. When Gretsch first arrived at the scene, they were marketed as "rock" drums - but the stereotypes have been wearing away for some time now.
Personally the hard, articulate Gretsch sound strikes me as "rock" - but so does the punchy as anything Ludwig sound. It would come down to sizes and tuning

I had a few people tell me back in the day...shop owners that the sound I was looking for..big breathy..open..round etc wasn't in Gretsch. More tonight after work. Just to get this off my chest.

I had a few people tell me back in the day...shop owners that the sound I was looking for..big breathy..open..round etc wasn't in Gretsch. More tonight after work. Just to get this off my chest.
I think that's true. Gretsch had diecast hoops and whatever that silver coating was inside, and I can say with certainty that the Gretsch Round Badge drums I had just didn't resonate the way I would have liked. They were more controlled, but they sounded very edgy, almost harsh, and not warm at all. That was OK on the BD, but the toms just didn't sing the way I like. And that's the reason I sold them and never bought a Gretsch product again.

Wing's drummer?

black-kit.jpg

IMG_2320_1024x1024.jpg

i might want ^^^^^^^that one whew..22 12 13 16 all-American parts mamaMia- I have ultra-mechanics I don't fear those T mounts at all. But yea what a set

Last edited:
Back