20" or 22" kick

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

As I was afraid of, after all the responses, it's split right down the middle. Which, I think, is a testament to the versatility of both sizes.

Bo - I'm pretty short too which is part of why I like the compactness of the 20" so much. I didn't know so many others, rockers at that, used a 20". Do you know how long Danny Seraphine has used one? I like the sound of Chicago's classic tracks. I wonder if he used one then. Oh, and I would keep that Air Supply bit to yourself... ;-)

Enrico - The only place I would play Zepellin would be at home where it really isn't an issue, but I see your point.

Zambizzi - Your response sums up exactly why I am on the fence on this issue.

PeniScott - I like the soundcheck comment. Anything I can do to help the sound tech get a good sound is always nice. And also, could I have YOUR cash to make my decision easier?

From what I understand, Danny Seraphine played a 20" from the beginning. I've seen pictures of him from the late '60s playing a bass drum that only had 16 lugs - so I figured if even back then it was 20 lugs for a 22" and 16 lugs for a 20", then that's what he was playing. Even today, his DW kit is 20" bass drum(s). For even further convincing, the Steve Smith Signature set is a 20" bass drum.

The great Mel Lewis swore by the 20" as well. He even made fun of Buddy Rich for having to have such a big bass drum to his face!

Viva la 20"!

I'm gong to tell you something that nobody have told you:

20" bass drums are for pussies! LOL , just kidding

I'm gong to tell you something that nobody have told you:

20" bass drums are for pussies! LOL , just kidding
We are glad that you stated that you were kidding at the end of that statement :)
If you didn't you would have had to go into hiding!
Based on that logic, I can't imagine what kind of freak would use an 18 or a 16 inch bass?

I had kind of a clunky 22" bd, and went with a 20" b/c I wanted something smaller to move around. I also like having my toms flat and low, so a 20 helps with that too.

I've played a 20x16" Gretsch Catalina, Renown, and New Classic and they ALL sound great. Nice and punchy, but short and sweet, nothing too boomy.

What kind of kit are you going to get?
-Dylan

I have owned a 16x20 for the last 13 years and haven't ever regretted it. Besides the smaller/lighter/lower thing, it just seems quicker and punchier, but still has plenty of low end. I run an EQ2 for the batter tuned medium-low, a loose-tuned logo head with no hole, and a very small thick pillow for muffling. Sounds monstrous miked and projects fine unmiked. I have played it for musicals, rock acts, churches, in clubs, out in parks, etc. Nobody has ever told me it sounds weak.

To me this is akin to choosing between a 12" or 13" rack tom, a 13" or 14" snare, or 20" or 22" ride. There's not enough difference to warrant name calling, for sure.

I just go a Sonor S Class with a 20" kick. It had great tone but did lack a lot in terms of volume compared to my old Hohner 22. My drum teacher helped tune the kit yesterday and not only does the kick have the great tone and resonance I love for soul and jazz, but it is face shatteringly loud. The low end of the kit sounds incredible right now, all down to tuning.

Coated remo ambassador on the batter side, and stock Sonor reso head.

I had kind of a clunky 22" bd, and went with a 20" b/c I wanted something smaller to move around. I also like having my toms flat and low, so a 20 helps with that too.

I've played a 20x16" Gretsch Catalina, Renown, and New Classic and they ALL sound great. Nice and punchy, but short and sweet, nothing too boomy.

What kind of kit are you going to get?
-Dylan

I'll most likely get a Ludwig Classic Maple. Nothing else really does it for me. Maybe Gretsch...

Personally, I like a 20 inch kick. I find it's easier to get a pronounced "Punch" out of it as well as a good rebound, and easier too tune.. I love them for fast foot work, and double bass grooves. 22" don't do it for me, i feel like i play sloppy on them.
^^Just my 2 cents!!^^

If you're short(er), get the 20

A 22X14 is actually easier to mover around and will fit in cars easier than a 20X16 length is the big factor when carting drums.

The 22 will enable a lower fundamental note, cover more sonic ground.

The big plus of the 22 is its feel, much nicer than the 20 IMO.

22 has a 'Cadillac' feel. 20 is stiffer to the foot more 'Camry' like.. and yes 18 could be considered compact in its feel.

Putting drums in cars? I thought everybody just owned a truck? I kid...I kid....

So, if the 22" is a Cadillac feel, then what would a 26" be? ;)

A pick-up with a lift kit and oversized tires

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 961
If you wanna be awesome, go with the 22" for sure.

Sounds much more alive than smaller drums.

Not sure if these posts are helping or adding to your confusion since there's so many promoters of both sizes, but hopefuly this will help make your decision easier. The issues at hand here are obviously sound, comfort and technique, and I guess to a (hopefully) small extent, looks.

I have two kits, one with a 20" bass drum and one with a 22" and I can tell you that 20" is definitely the way to go!!! On both bass drums I run a clear Powerstroke 4 on the batter, ebony Powerstroke 3 on the reso, both tuned low, and the reso is ported with a 5" hole. That head combo gives the 20" a lower tone which helps compensate for the tone a 22" would give you, and it further lowers the tone of my 22".

The big win in going with a 20" is the benefit to your setup, specifically your rack toms. That extra 2" clearance allows you to set them up at a much flatter angle which in addition to being FAR more comfortable, also allows for better technique. Plus it's the way the drum is supposed to be hit to get the best sound out of it. Both my kits are setup appropriately for my size (thighs are angled slightly downwards towards the knees when sitting on the drum throne) and I find the toms at too sharp/steep an angle when I'm behind my 22" kick - and I'm 6'2"! As for the bass drum itself, I absolutely love the punch my 20" kick gives me. It's got that oomph that hits you right in the chest and the tone is plenty low. BTW, I play a lot of heavier alternative rock, and even some acoustic stuff. The 20" is definitely low enough for the real rock stuff, and still versatile enough for other styles.

I don't think the question should be 20" or 22"...I think the better question is what depth to get for the 20". Mine's a 20x16 and that gives a ton of punch. You could certainly go with a 20x18 which will still give you punch and add a bit more "boom". I guess you could even consider a 20x20 if you really wanted, but that might be awkward and tough to find as well.

Nothing against 22" bass drums or drummers that prefer them (or larger ones for that matter). They all serve a purpose and manufacturers make all these sizes for good reason. I just prefer a 20" because it easily gives me the sound I want (plenty low), and it makes for a much more comfortable setup for my playing.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Not sure if these posts are helping or adding to your confusion since there's so many promoters of both sizes, but hopefuly this will help make your decision easier. The issues at hand here are obviously sound, comfort and technique, and I guess to a (hopefully) small extent, looks.

I have two kits, one with a 20" bass drum and one with a 22" and I can tell you that 20" is definitely the way to go!!! On both bass drums I run a clear Powerstroke 4 on the batter, ebony Powerstroke 3 on the reso, both tuned low, and the reso is ported with a 5" hole. That head combo gives the 20" a lower tone which helps compensate for the tone a 22" would give you, and it further lowers the tone of my 22".

The big win in going with a 20" is the benefit to your setup, specifically your rack toms. That extra 2" clearance allows you to set them up at a much flatter angle which in addition to being FAR more comfortable, also allows for better technique. Plus it's the way the drum is supposed to be hit to get the best sound out of it. Both my kits are setup appropriately for my size (thighs are angled slightly downwards towards the knees when sitting on the drum throne) and I find the toms at too sharp/steep an angle when I'm behind my 22" kick - and I'm 6'2"! As for the bass drum itself, I absolutely love the punch my 20" kick gives me. It's got that oomph that hits you right in the chest and the tone is plenty low. BTW, I play a lot of heavier alternative rock, and even some acoustic stuff. The 20" is definitely low enough for the real rock stuff, and still versatile enough for other styles.

I don't think the question should be 20" or 22"...I think the better question is what depth to get for the 20". Mine's a 20x16 and that gives a ton of punch. You could certainly go with a 20x18 which will still give you punch and add a bit more "boom". I guess you could even consider a 20x20 if you really wanted, but that might be awkward and tough to find as well.

Nothing against 22" bass drums or drummers that prefer them (or larger ones for that matter). They all serve a purpose and manufacturers make all these sizes for good reason. I just prefer a 20" because it easily gives me the sound I want (plenty low), and it makes for a much more comfortable setup for my playing.

Hope that helps,

Mike

See, all of this is true...until you get into a room with a bassist and a guitarist playing rock music at a high volume. My 20x16", which is normally very loud, punchy, and sounds fantastic, goes completely unheard if not mic'd up in an amplified jam session.

All drums can sound absolutely amazing on their own until you pit them against loud amplifiers. If you're mic'd up all of the time, fine...a 20" will work perfectly. If not, a 22" is significantly louder and can be heard (and felt) through the amplified carnage.

I love my 20" but I barely ever use it because I don't mic up when I practice with the band.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Thanks for such a detailed reply. It has been about split lately with several good points on either side. I am leaning towards the 20" mostly for the reasons you mentioned; sound, comfort and technique. I'm pretty short, so the fact that I can get my rack tom even lower really appeals to me, not that I've ever had an issue with a 22". It's just that when I played that 20" I thought it was a great fit.

See, all of this is true...until you get into a room with a bassist and a guitarist playing rock music at a high volume. My 20x16", which is normally very loud, punchy, and sounds fantastic, goes completely unheard if not mic'd up in an amplified jam session.

All drums can sound absolutely amazing on their own until you pit them against loud amplifiers. If you're mic'd up all of the time, fine...a 20" will work perfectly. If not, a 22" is significantly louder and can be heard (and felt) through the amplified carnage.

I love my 20" but I barely ever use it because I don't mic up when I practice with the band.

Hearing my drums in the context of the band is what I have been wondering about. We've almost always been miked up when we play out but the couple times we weren't it was at a smaller venue. We're not very loud anyways. We have a lead guitar, rhythm guitar(some songs), bass, and keys; so it's not like I have to compete with a wall of guitars.

When it's my band, I tell 'em how loud they can play at a rehearsal. And it's usually always MY band..... ;)

When it's my band, I tell 'em how loud they can play at a rehearsal. And it's usually always MY band..... ;)
That's it, You're either in "My Band" or you are buried in my back yard!
I like the tack of your jib sailor.

Back