Search results

1. H

Resonant Head Selection.

I am replacing my drum heads, switching back to Remo Pinstripe Clear, and want to know if anyone has any tips for resonant head selection. I like my toms to have a deeper tone. Would Pinstripes on top and bottom sound good? It seems like the simple solution, but just wanted to get some input...
  2. H

What is your spring tension?

Call it curiousity, but I am interested to hear what tension you prefer for your pedals. Do you like it tight to feel more pushback? Loose for flow? Just want to see what kind of tension you guys use and why. I flirt with my pedal tension all the time playing metalcore. I started off liking it...
  3. H

Do you let "Big Names" dictate your drumming?

Now I am sure this will get a few people going, but I have got to get this out. I am sick of hearing people use name dropping to justify a method or reasoning versus another. Too many times I have heard "Well Buddy Rich does it this way" or "Steve Gadd does this". I see it in the forums and all...
  4. H

Warming up the entire body....how?

Here it is, I am an experienced drummer, been playing for about 13 years. I play metalcore so I use all 4 limbs pretty heavily. With all of that being said, I have recently realized that I have no consistent warm up routine. I understand you want to get the blood flowing to play better, but all...
  5. H

Tablature VS. Music Notation

I am very interested to hear your opinions on drum tablature versus music notation. Is it crucial, today, for drummers to know music notation? Can drum tablature take the place of music notation? Outside of being a session/studio drummer, what benefits come with notation vs tablature? (many...
  6. H

Sometimes, things just happen...Agree?

So I play in a hard rock band and have been drumming for years. Although I constantly practice, bass drum speed has always been difficult for me. I would usually have to use a double pedal where a single is possible. For instance, I never could get my right foot, playing to a metronome, to go...
  7. H

Any advice for the first gig?

My band's first gig is in 10 days (Hard Rock/Alternative). It's going to be a decent first show with 300+. I'm not worried about my ability to play. I practice constantly and have rehearsed our songs endlessly. I just wanted to know if you had any advice or warnings about anything to help...
  8. H

Foam placement while recording...what you know

I am about go into a couple weeks of recording. I have researched a lot about mic placement, where the foam on the walls goes, etc. I have it setup pretty decent right now but I do have a concern. The studio (room) we will be recording in is a standard sheetrock room with normal ceiling...
  9. H

Challenging your independence...

So I usually don't have issues learning new songs or coming up with intricate things, but....I had a wild idea that maybe double bass leading with my left would improve my drumming. As I went to do this I realized how difficult is was to do straight 16th note double bass with left foot lead...
  10. H

Bass head tension (beater side)

Ive got an aquarian Superkick 2 bass head with a Remo ported head on the front. My question is how much tension is too much? I've been flirting with the idea of tightening up the beater side to help double bass performance maybe give more rebound i guess, but will this ruin the sound? Right...
  11. H

Remote Hi-Hat..Anyone have experience with it?

I have a 3 legged pearl hi hat stand and when my double pedal is setup it places my hi hat to where i have to reach for it. I'm looking at the Pearl Eliminator Remote hi hat but before i spend $250 I want to know if there is any downfalls I should be aware of or if it will act just like a...
  12. H

The dreaded lower back pain! Got a cure?

I've researched a solution and found so many different things that could be the issue and that "might" help. I play a lot of double bass and for hours at a time i.e. 5 hours yesterday worth of practice. By the end of it im hunched over playing in pain and my lower back is tight and sore for...
  13. H

Is it cheating?

So I am learning new songs for a band. It is heavy metal and this is the first time I have really played this "fast". Some of the stuff is blazing fast so if I took the song, put it into my recording software and slowed the song down would that be cheating? It's still learning it by ear I...
  14. H

Advice for an audition?

I have a pretty big audition coming up tomorrow. I don't know why but I have a feeling of "I wont be good enough" even though I practice relentlessly. Im worried I'm going to be nervous and choke and not be able to perform at the top of my game. Any advice from experience or from the other...
  15. H

Too much or too little?

I spent a couple weeks working on some songs that weren't very demanding on the bass drum. I didn't stick to daily exercises on top of the rehearsing so when I went back to jamming a little heavier or faster bass (single and double) my feet just couldn't keep up. I had lost a lot of speed for...
  16. H

Recording...Mixer levels and mic placement

I bought CAD Premium Mics, cheaper but I have heard great reviews and actual recordings with them and they can sound great. That being said I also bought a peavey 14 channel mixer. I have no experience with recording so when looking at the mixer it is like a whole new world to me. I need...
  17. H

Recording Equipment.....Please Help

Ok so I am looking to get recording equipment so that I can record my drums for videos and songs. I came into a little bit of money but am looking to get everything I need as thriftyn as possible without sacrificing quality. Here's what I have planned. I want to mic all my toms, snare and of...
  18. H

What is a good recording software for drums?

I have an Alesis electric kit and a pearl double bass kit with CAD 7 mics. I want to use both for recording. I don't know a lot about recording software and there are so many choices out there. Please give me your opinion on a good program for a good price.
Back