Sometimes, things just happen...Agree?

hvymtlmike

So I play in a hard rock band and have been drumming for years. Although I constantly practice, bass drum speed has always been difficult for me. I would usually have to use a double pedal where a single is possible. For instance, I never could get my right foot, playing to a metronome, to go above 140 BPM 8th notes. Even if some how I forced it to happen it was in no way consistent. THEN, last week I am practicing and I go to do my foot workout so to speak, and was doing 8th notes on each for for a minute or two a piece back and forth increasing speed. When I got to about 135-140 BPM, I noticed there was no hassle what soever. I then began bumping it up 5 BPM at a time playing for a min at each speed. While the left followed (increasing 5 bpm each time), My left foot peaked at about 160 BPM. However, my right foot just kept going. I eventually got to 185 BPM 8th notes and was consistent for a minute straight. My feet sort of just fell into the comfortable technique I guess. I have never experienced such a turnaround in playing. Instead of slowly getting through a wall, I broke through an entire building! This was very exciting and revitalized my playing and I have continued to get better and faster. Anyone else experience this type of thing or have any comment on it?

Note: I in no way think speed is the most important attribute. I play to a metronome to ensure perfect timeing and increase spped to progress and get better.

Fuo

Platinum Member
I had a very similar thing happen with my hands awhile ago. I was working on accenting the second hit of a double (rRlL and RlLr) and was up to 8th@120 on a good day... then one day, for no good reason, I was able to just keep going up to the 144-152 range with no effort.

uniongoon

Gold Member
A regular occurence for me, usually after a good couple weeks practicing and then taking a few days off. Muscles rebuild and things take a leap forward. Then as i practice more, sometimes it seems i lose some of the forward momentum, kind of step backwards again, then i fight to get it back. Learning to play well is a long thankless process at times.