Too much or too little?

hvymtlmike

I spent a couple weeks working on some songs that weren't very demanding on the bass drum. I didn't stick to daily exercises on top of the rehearsing so when I went back to jamming a little heavier or faster bass (single and double) my feet just couldn't keep up. I had lost a lot of speed for that little bit of time. So I developed a little workout based on the pyramid technique from the weight room. What I want to know is is this enough to get my kicks single and double up to speed and rocking without a problem or is it too much if there is such a thing. Workout is below. Thanks for any input. Peace.

These were my starting speeds. Let me know what you think about the method.

Right Foot - Single 8th notes to a metro - 110 3 min , 120 3 min, 125 3 min, 130 1 min
Left Foot - Single 8th notes to a metro - 110 3 min, 115 3 min, 120 3 min, 125 1 min
Double Stroke Roll on kick - 8th notes to a metro - 125 3 min, 135 3 min, 140 1 min
Double Bass - 16th notes to a metro - 110 3 min, 115 3 min, 120 2 min, 125 1 min, 130 1 min

Looks like a pretty decent excersice to me, what you could also do is try and play along to some easy double bass songs and gradually try harder and harder, that way it doesnt feel so much like another boring workout and it definately works

another good excersice is to start out very slow say 80 bpm and ramp up the bpm gradually without stopping until your at your max speed, hold it as long as you can then bring it back down to 80 in the same way. its kinda like wind sprints for you feet.

I gotta say, I have been looking for an exercise to help with my double bass strength, precision, speed, and endurance. This exercise is insanely hard! I started out at 85 bpm on 8ths and definitely a good workout. Thanks for the post!

I gotta say, I have been looking for an exercise to help with my double bass strength, precision, speed, and endurance. This exercise is insanely hard! I started out at 85 bpm on 8ths and definitely a good workout. Thanks for the post!

No problem. It definately does the job just remember to take a dayoff from the exercise every week. The muscle needs to recover to progress. It's always good to hear I helped someone out. Thanks

Back