A True Sleeper Snare!

IBitePrettyHard

Ever since I played the Ludwig Supralite 13x6 at Guitar Center some months ago, it's been eating away at my brain. I already have the 14x6.5" version (which is fantastic), so I didn't really "need" it per se. But it sounds so dang good that I couldn't resist any longer.

The snap, crackle, and pop is just awesome. It's bright, but not brash. It has plenty of low end and throatiness too. The note is clean and articulate and it has an attack that will cut through almost anything. There are no harsh overtones...which is a big deal to me. I want it to sound pleasing enough even without muffling.

The rimshots are to die for. They sound sooooo good when you hit them just right.

It can have an aggressive bite if you want it to, but with the right heads, muffling, and playing technique, it can also sound quite tame and respectable. It's quite a versatile drum for a steel shell. Believe it or not, it feels similar to play to my Sonor Benny Greb signature 13x5.75, albeit with a little more volume and zing.

If you like a bright (but throaty) crack/pop, this is the snare for you. If you like a fuzzy Don Henley sound.........you can still get that too! I used my Big Fat Snare Drum "Steve's Donut", and it sounds perfect. The combination of steel Supralites + BFSD muffling is a fantastic combo that nobody seems to be talking about. It lowers the pitch and makes it thuddier, but the steel still has some crack to it...whereas other snares may completely lose their crack when using a BFSD.

Without the BFSD, some might find this snare to be too lively and crisp, and not fuzzy, thuddy, or round enough. But hey, it's a 13" snare. There are plenty of 14s for that!

I put a Remo Vintage Ambassador on instead of a regular Ambassador because it has the 2 thin plies (7.5-mil and 3-mil) that control the overtones a little more without feeling like an Emperor head. Plus the Vintage Ambassador was about $7 cheaper at GC for some reason.

I put it through a full practice with my rock cover band and my blues band. It fit in very well with the rock band despite its 13" size. For the blues band, I found It tames very nicely for low to medium volumes. I knew there was a chance it would be too raucous for quieter genres, but it's still very manageable. I'm not sure I'd use it for jazz, because it may be too zingy, although perhaps putting a Fiberskyn on it would make it sound perfect.

It appears that Ludwig may have discontinued this 13x6" model, but Guitar Center and eBay still have some for sale.

The newer Supralites come with the upgraded P88 throw-off and P35 butt plate. I'm a big fan! The P88 is silky smooth and the wires do not loosen while playing. It's the same throw-off that comes on the Black Beauty and Supraphonic!

I know I know, the Supralite may have a stigma surrounding it because it's so cheap, and it may not look as visually appealing to some of you. But believe me, in a blind taste test with other steel snares costing $600 and $1200, the Supralites would surprise a lot of people. I would even argue they would clean house. I think they are the best sounding steel snares that exist. I will die on that hill!

I love this thing!

DZtiwYW.png

Last edited:
Steel shares can sound great, they really are sleeper drums. My main beef with them is the cheap hardware that gets used on budget models.
Honestly, these new Supralites don't come with any cheap hardware. The brass tube lugs are standard issue. It comes with 2.3mm hoops, brass snare wires, and the throwoff and butt plate are pro-level.

I think there's a good chance that Ludwig will raise the price on the Supralites soon. I'm surprised they didn't do it already.

Finishing touch 😉
kidding..
Actually.......a badge swap would look kinda cool. It would change the whole vibe and probably fool people into thinking it was a $750 limited edition Ludwig. :LOL:

Reactions: jda
bumWrap has a bunch to chose from2

I've got one downstairs at this very moment. Got it at Guitar center a few years ago. I'm damn slow at getting it done but I want imperial lugs on it. I also think 1.3 hoops will be better.

For me, its 13' snares in General.

The Benny Greb 2.0 Beech and Brass got me hooked on 13" snares.. But then I realized that I could amazing 13" snares at a much lower price.
I have the 13x7 Tama SLP G-Maple with Die Cast hoops and it sounds every bit as good as all the high end snares Ive owned and Now I have the 13x7 Gretsch Brooklyn Chrome Over Steel and its also amazing.. But somehow feels every better than it sounds Im assuming because it only has 6 lugs

The one on Guitar center looks like it has a P-88AC on it.. is that true? Looks to be a nice throw off for a budget snare

I am glad that you found something that works out. I have been battling against the "excessive ring" and that "harsh" steel sound in the 1mm steel snares that I bought last year. Maybe I did not buy the right snares. I bought one last steel snare brand new 5.5x14 that I am happy with.

I am glad that you found something that works out. I have been battling against the "excessive ring" and that "harsh" steel sound in the 1mm steel snares that I bought last year. Maybe I did not buy the right snares. I bought one last steel snare brand new 5.5x14 that I am happy with.
Getting rid of the excessive ring is the easy part. My 14x6.5" Supralite has an Evans Genera HD on it, and it has the perfect amount of ring and sounds glorious.

Most of the harshness from any steel snare can be tamed with the right heads or muffling, although the Supralite doesn't sound harsh to begin with.

Plus 1 on the Supralite 13. ".....uhh...he's already got one ...you see."

For me, its 13' snares in General.

The Benny Greb 2.0 Beech and Brass got me hooked on 13" snares.. But then I realized that I could amazing 13" snares at a much lower price.
I have the 13x7 Tama SLP G-Maple with Die Cast hoops and it sounds every bit as good as all the high end snares Ive owned and Now I have the 13x7 Gretsch Brooklyn Chrome Over Steel and its also amazing.. But somehow feels every better than it sounds Im assuming because it only has 6 lugs

I have a Pearl limited edition steel snare 13" x 7". It took me a while to dial it in, but I really like it. I'm not sure how to describe the sound, but it's different than my others. One nice thing about 13" drums is they're just a tiny bit easier to position.

I have a Pearl limited edition steel snare 13" x 7". It took me a while to dial it in, but I really like it. I'm not sure how to describe the sound, but it's different than my others. One nice thing about 13" drums is they're just a tiny bit easier to position.
I have a 13x7 DW Edge and now this 13x6 Supralite. They both have a crack due to the diameter...and a throatiness due to the depth.

The throaty sound is something you don't quite get with 14" snares, which is one reason I like 13s so much now.

Reactions: A J
Ever since I played the Ludwig Supralite 13x6 at Guitar Center some months ago, it's been eating away at my brain. I already have the 14x6.5" version (which is fantastic), so I didn't really "need" it per se. But it sounds so dang good that I couldn't resist any longer.

The snap, crackle, and pop is just awesome. It's bright, but not brash. It has plenty of low end and throatiness too. The note is clean and articulate and it has an attack that will cut through almost anything. There are no harsh overtones...which is a big deal to me. I want it to sound pleasing enough even without muffling.

The rimshots are to die for. They sound sooooo good when you hit them just right.

It can have an aggressive bite if you want it to, but with the right heads, muffling, and playing technique, it can also sound quite tame and respectable. It's quite a versatile drum for a steel shell. Believe it or not, it feels similar to play to my Sonor Benny Greb signature 13x5.75, albeit with a little more volume and zing.

If you like a bright (but throaty) crack/pop, this is the snare for you. If you like a fuzzy Don Henley sound.........you can still get that too! I used my Big Fat Snare Drum "Steve's Donut", and it sounds perfect. The combination of steel Supralites + BFSD muffling is a fantastic combo that nobody seems to be talking about. It lowers the pitch and makes it thuddier, but the steel still has some crack to it...whereas other snares may completely lose their crack when using a BFSD.

Without the BFSD, some might find this snare to be too lively and crisp, and not fuzzy, thuddy, or round enough. But hey, it's a 13" snare. There are plenty of 14s for that!

I put a Remo Vintage Ambassador on instead of a regular Ambassador because it has the 2 thin plies (7.5-mil and 3-mil) that control the overtones a little more without feeling like an Emperor head. Plus the Vintage Ambassador was about $7 cheaper at GC for some reason.

I put it through a full practice with my rock cover band and my blues band. It fit in very well with the rock band despite its 13" size. For the blues band, I found It tames very nicely for low to medium volumes. I knew there was a chance it would be too raucous for quieter genres, but it's still very manageable. I'm not sure I'd use it for jazz, because it may be too zingy, although perhaps putting a Fiberskyn on it would make it sound perfect.

It appears that Ludwig may have discontinued this 13x6" model, but Guitar Center and eBay still have some for sale.

The newer Supralites come with the upgraded P88 throw-off and P35 butt plate. I'm a big fan! The P88 is silky smooth and the wires do not loosen while playing. It's the same throw-off that comes on the Black Beauty and Supraphonic!

I know I know, the Supralite may have a stigma surrounding it because it's so cheap, and it may not look as visually appealing to some of you. But believe me, in a blind taste test with other steel snares costing $600 and $1200, the Supralites would surprise a lot of people. I would even argue they would clean house. I think they are the best sounding steel snares that exist. I will die on that hill!

I love this thing!

DZtiwYW.png
Very cool! I know what you mean: i played a 14x5.5" 5 or 6 years ago and i still thing 'should i get one, sounded so good!' haha

Nice snare! And good call on the donut….I had an old 13” ambassador coated that was destined for the trash….and I said what the heck….I got my utility shears and cut out a 13” donut. I’ve been using that donut on my 13” yammy brass and I love what it does. Honestly, I never got that same effect with moon gels. Something about the uniformity of that donut around the edge versus the isolated spot a moon gel goes on. And no sticky mess or discolored head….just lift the donut off and done.

They are easier to position. Especially if you need room to run double kick pedals.

Back