Gavin Harrison here!

1. I know your style is heavily built on improvisation, where you usually keep the integral grooves the same, but change fills and subtleties to your taste. My question is, are there any fills, that are so iconic/integral/important to you, that you play them every night pretty much unchanged?
Yes if I feel that the fill is really important to the composition of the song - and that everyone is going to expect it at that moment.
2. My second question is the opposite. Are there any grooves that over the years have fundamentally changed, so much that they no longer resemble the original part of the recording?
Not that I can think of - unless it was a complete rearrangement of the song
3. Lastly, I recently heard your piece "19 Days" and I loved it. The drums sound so musical and melodic, and I get a very strong emotional reaction from it. Do you have any other pieces in a similar style? or any recommendations for other artists in that genre?
I don't have any other pieces really similar - you might like the records I did with O5Ric or maybe a record I made called "Cheating The Polygraph". Have a listen to "Hells Bells" on a Bill Bruford album called "One Of A Kind" it was written by Dave Stewart (who also wrote "19 Days").

cheers
Gavin

3. Lastly, I recently heard your piece "19 Days" and I loved it. The drums sound so musical and melodic, and I get a very strong emotional reaction from it. Do you have any other pieces in a similar style? or any recommendations for other artists in that genre?
May I recommend (if you haven’t already discovered them) Gavin’s Drum Song and Cymbal Song.

Neil Peart also did a song back in the late ‘80s that was a supplement in an issue of Modern Drummer. Definitely worth checking out.

Hi Gavin, I saw that you use a different microphone on the third Tom "12" when you play live. Is there a specific reason?

IMG_20240105_141647.jpgIMG_20240105_141703.jpgIMG_20240105_141721.jpgIMG_20240105_141739.jpg

It would be EV nd 468, what do you think of these microphones?

j6kbwda8v1hr4alw0f2y.jpg

I was thinking of buying 5/6 of these but unfortunately I can't find any adverts. If you want to sell them to me, I'll buy them for you😅🤣.

Anyway, I wanted to wish you a happy new year full of music and projects!

Enea Sergi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gavin, have you been invited back to Drumeo? Loved your first time there and would be great to see you return.

Also any plans to do a clinic tour in the US? I think the last time you did one was in the 2010-2012 timeframe?

I saw that you use a different microphone on the third Tom "12" when you play live. Is there a specific reason?
I have been using the Shure Beta 98AMP on my toms in live concerts - but the one I had on the 12" tom was distorting because of it's proximity to the ride cymbal. I only noticed it when I checked some live multi track recordings. So I put on an EV ND468 and the problem was solved.
have you been invited back to Drumeo? Loved your first time there and would be great to see you return.
I hope to come back to Drumeo as soon as I can find the time.
Also any plans to do a clinic tour in the US? I think the last time you did one was in the 2010-2012 timeframe?
Yes it was about 10 years ago or so - but I have no plans to make any drum clinics at the moment.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
I have been using the Shure Beta 98AMP on my toms in live concerts - but the one I had on the 12" tom was distorting because of it's proximity to the ride cymbal. I only noticed it when I checked some live multi track recordings. So I put on an EV ND468 and the problem was solved.

I hope to come back to Drumeo as soon as I can find the time.

Yes it was about 10 years ago or so - but I have no plans to make any drum clinics at the moment.

cheers
Gavin
October 17, 2013 at Martyr's in Chicago. Zildjian clinic with Gavin. Epic night!

Attachments

• WP_20131017_013[34846].jpg
    WP_20131017_013[34846].jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 22
Hi Gavin, loving the new Pineapple Thief tracks and very looking forward to hearing the next single on Thursday and seeing you in Manchester. Are you going to be doing any playthroughs for The Frost? Also, are you planning to publish any new educational books/dvds that contains your work in Pineapple Thief and the latest Porcupine Tree album?

Thanks Jason.

loving the new Pineapple Thief tracks and very looking forward to hearing the next single on Thursday and seeing you in Manchester. Are you going to be doing any playthroughs for The Frost?
Thanks, I hadn't planned to do a playthrough of The Frost - but I did just film a playthrough of one of the songs to be released around the time of the album.
Also, are you planning to publish any new educational books/dvds that contains your work in Pineapple Thief and the latest Porcupine Tree album?
No plans at the moment - but it is in the back of my mind !

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin

Just finished listening to the new Pineapple Thief album. I got it on vinyl.

First of all congrats. It is amazing. Your parts on drums are super tasteful. I really enjoy them!

Second, it is the best sounding album I have heard in awhile Very well recorded and mixed!

I saw that you have song writing credits on all the songs; great job! what would you say was the toughest song to complete?

Wishing you and the thiefs much success on your tour and hope to see you in the future!

Take care. Dave

I saw that you have song writing credits on all the songs; great job! what would you say was the toughest song to complete?
Gald you like the new record. The song "Rubicon" was probably the hardest one to play - just trying to get the shuffle 5/4 pattern to groove right. "To Forget" was a song that took quite a lot of time to get together. The writing process happened over 3 years so a lot of the details I've already forgotten. Now we just have to play the songs live !

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Congratulations to the great new Pineapple Thief Record! Hope the tour goes well so far.
I have a few questions about your approach of programming clicktracks for live situations. Do you solely use woodblock and cabasa? How do you accent them in 4/4 or in odd time signatures and how do you differ slow and fast tempi? I ´m most curious in particular about Cheating the polygraph from the Anesthetize Album. I think it has all the relevant signatures in it like 5/8, 7/8, 4/4 and 6/4. Thank you and take care!

Daniel

Hey Gavin,

Loving the new TPT album. Quick non music realted question, did you remodel your studio? I notice it in one of the TPT videos, as well as the Vic Firth play through looks different than I remember.

Liam

I have a few questions about your approach of programming clicktracks for live situations. Do you solely use woodblock and cabasa? How do you accent them in 4/4 or in odd time signatures and how do you differ slow and fast tempi? I ´m most curious in particular about Cheating the polygraph from the Anesthetize Album. I think it has all the relevant signatures in it like 5/8, 7/8, 4/4 and 6/4.
Nowadays I tend to use the woodblock sound for the main notes and the Urei click sound as the in between notes (when needed). My ears don't like a click with high frequencies. It's been about 16 years since I played "Cheating The Polygraph" with Porcupine Tree - but to my memory the click was probably just straight 8th notes. That way they would run through every time signature in that song. I never have an 'accent' note on beat one.
Regarding clicks in 4/4. It depends on the tempo of course. Higher than say 110bpm just need quarter notes. Below 100bpm I would probably add in 8th notes between the main quarter note wood block. Really slow tempo - I might add in 16ths. Basically whatever feels comfortable.

Loving the new TPT album. Quick non music realted question, did you remodel your studio? I notice it in one of the TPT videos, as well as the Vic Firth play through looks different than I remember.
Yes that's correct I did remodel a few months ago.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin, really enjoyed the Manchester show the other night, wish I could come to every show! I was the guy at the front with the band signed drum head my partner got me from the merch stand, she really enjoyed it too as well as my parents!

Have you got any other shows planned with The Pineapple Thief or any other projects later in the year in the UK?

I hope the rest of the tour goes well for you and the rest of the band!

Thanks Jason.

Hello Gavin, in this clip I notice you use the accu-strike beaters that came with the Tama Speed Cobra double pedal. I notice in more recent videos you aren’t using those.

1) How long did you use those original beaters?

2) Which ones are you currently using?

3) What made you change them?

- Salvador

Gavin,

So awesome you and the rest of the guys in TPT will be touring the US in the fall. Look forward to seeing you all in Charlotte.

Any thoughts on doing clinics at the venues between soundcheck and showtime? Pretty sure there’s no shortage of demand for that! Lol

Cheers mate!

Hello Gavin, in this clip I notice you use the accu-strike beaters that came with the Tama Speed Cobra double pedal. I notice in more recent videos you aren’t using those.

1) How long did you use those original beaters?
I think a few weeks.
2) Which ones are you currently using?
Sonor SCH28 beaters
3) What made you change them?
I think I slightly prefer the weight of the Sonor ones. My feet are very temperamental.
Any thoughts on doing clinics at the venues between soundcheck and showtime?
Not really. I have been asked many times - but I don't have the urge to do that. Also, I need to eat something and rest before the show.

cheers
Gavin

Back